Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Oral Board "Nugget" Tip

You can use sign language and a second language to your advantage for your oral board question “What have you done to prepare for the position.” As you’re answering this question you start using sign language along with your words. As part of your answer you start speaking another language. Then you translate what you just said. Both are convincing proof you have the skill.

Case in Point: Mark’s family is from Russia. They spoke Russian at home when he was growing up. He wanted to work for a big city fire department in another state that had a Russian speaking population. He targeted this department as he brushed up on his Russian.

During his oral board Mark started speaking fluent Russian while answering the question what had he done to prepare for the position, One of the BC panel members from this department asked him where he was from in fluent Russian. Mark answers back speaking Russian. The panel member said, “Good to have you here (in Russian).”

A few weeks later Mark gets the call. It’s the BC panel member offering him the job speaking Russian.

The point here is start writing down your special unique qualities that will give you that competitive advantage on your oral board game day that will inspire the board to say we want to hire this person. It can happen just that fast (like Mark) when you know what it is for you.

“Try? There is no Try. There is only do or not do.”—Joda Robot Star Wars
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Excellent advice CaptBob!! I haven't run into too many candidates that were relaxed enough to do this during their interviews..BUT I love it!! Bold Stuff!!

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yields Power and Dominion in Action!!!"

Forum Member

I just purchased your program sir and it has completely changed my plan for my upcoming interview. You have a great program and thank you for helping people like myself for preparing for something that is completely new and foreign. This interview I have coming up on the 24th is completely different from any other job interview I've ever had. Your program has helped soooo much. Thanks again!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theaxemancometh View Post
    Excellent advice CaptBob!! I haven't run into too many candidates that were relaxed enough to do this during their interviews..BUT I love it!! Bold Stuff!!

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yields Power and Dominion in Action!!!"
    True! It’s all about building confidence for your oral boards.

“Everyone has butterflies. The trick is to get the butterflies to all fly in the same formation.” Dottie Walters, Author: Speak and Grow Rich

Few candidates have a script that they have been religiously practicing with a hand-held voice recorder that goes every where your car keys go. Ninety-nine percent of the candidates I ask aren’t. I asked a college program recently how many had been practicing with a voice recorder daily? No hands. How about weekly then? Nope. None. O.K. how about monthly? Finally three hands went up out of a total of 40. Then don’t be confused by why you’re not getting high enough on the list to get a call back to play the part of a firefighter. The mystery has been solved.

Using a voice recorder gets your timing, inflection, volume, where to cut out material, get rid of the uh’s and other pause fillers, or to find out if you really sound like Donald Duck. You need to get married to your hand-held voice recorder. You need to hear what the oral board is going to hear out of your mouth. It’s narrows the distance between you and the badge you’re looking for!

This is usually a guy thing. Guys think about their answers in their head and write them down. Then they think their answers are going to come out of their mouths like magic in the oral. Trust me, they don’t! The brain and mouth don’t work that way.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Default Second Language

I would be hesitant to start off "MY" oral answering in a foreign language. That opens all sorts of worm cans. They have that info on your application and if they want to go down that path then let them...I wouldn't want to initiate the conversation.
    You should be 100 % sure of your abilities as it can ruin any chance you had if you answer incorrect.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I would be hesitant to start off "MY" oral answering in a foreign language. That opens all sorts of worm cans. They have that info on your application and if they want to go down that path then let them...I wouldn't want to initiate the conversation.
    You should be 100 % sure of your abilities as it can ruin any chance you had if you answer incorrect.
    The commissioner makes a good point. You certainly don’t want to go in and immediately start speaking a second language or using sign language until place yourself in the rookie position, be humble, and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. Here’s how you can put these skills into your presentation for your oral board:

What have you done to prepare for the position will probably be your longest answer. Start with your education and keep it in chronological order so you won’t forget anything. Then, your life and professional experience in chronological order. Start your experience by rewinding the video of your life to your first and succeeding jobs in life; no matter if you got paid or how menial it seemed. Many have had paper routes, mowed lawns, worked for relatives or at Burger King. O.K., what did you learn? How you learned to work hard, show up on time, have responsibility, provide customer service and how to work as a team.

Many have told me they’ve been playing sports since they were 6 years old. Did you participate in sports in high school or college? Did you letter? Did your team advance to the regional or state finals? Isn’t that working as a team? As a team member you had to stay in shape, have commitment and recognize the strengths and weaknesses of other team members and how you could cover in. Do any of these areas apply to the fire service? You bet! Every one of them. So any time you can relate your personal life experiences in answering an oral board question, you are telling the oral board that you not only know the answer to the question, you have already lived it!

End with those things you can tie your name to. Things where you were part of a team, spearheaded a group, took a project from inception to end or were part of a committee that established a procedure or skill. This is where you can use a second language or sign language. Then, Include anything you volunteered for no matter when it happened. Once you start on this question you keep going until you finish your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Absolutely correct. That's why it’s so critical to practice your answers with a hand-held voice recorder that goes everywhere your car keys go to work it out. This will let you hear what the panel is going to hear out of your mouth. To make sure you have it dialed the way you want to build your confidence.

This is how it can play out on a promotional test but also applies to entry-level:

Tony was going for his first Captain’s test. We asked Tony to begin his experience for his answer to what have you done to prepare for this position. Tony’s first job was working in a bicycle repair shop. He went through successive jobs and the rest on his experience. At the end of this question Tony told the panel that he spearheaded the establishment (attached his name) of bike paths and trails in the city where he was a firefighter. He also collected, repaired used bikes and gave them to those in need. He also collected donations from businesses to fund this program. This type of presentation is referred to as a recall.

Tony came full circle from his first job in life to using the experience years later to establish a community-wide bike program. Tony was promoted to captain his first time out.

Tony said, "It was that early life experience (without the handy wipes) that I recalled to get the chain back on the sprockets and back on the road that has peddled me through life."
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-15-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information