Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Timing...

Default Timing...

My life is on a fast track right now. Have my own business that's slowed quite a bit and I'm taking the long awaited opportunity to move into the fire service. My goal is FF/Medic and I realize it'll take time. My plan is to finish academy and EMT (another 6 to 8 weeks). After that, start testing and try to get on where I can but would also like to continue advancing my training while my momentum is up.

Problem is, fall classes are most likely going to be booked or started when I'm at that point, so my options seem to be 1) wait till next year or 2) go the online route (trainingdivision). I weighed these options when choosing a FF academy and chose the traditional academy and happy I did. But, I'm not wanting to wait that long to continue my education and am afraid if I take a year off, I'll lose momentum.

I'm considering a move to another state in the next couple years and waiting a year will put this farther away, which is why i'm wanting to go forward and get it behind me as quick (without rushing) as I can. Am I wrong about considering the medic cert through TD.com? The way I look at it, I'm either getting lectures either way. I'll still be doing my hands-on and skills; seems to me the main difference will be keeping my motivation up at a home based course. I'm real close to them which will help.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    My life is on a fast track right now. Have my own business that's slowed quite a bit and I'm taking the long awaited opportunity to move into the fire service. My goal is FF/Medic and I realize it'll take time. My plan is to finish academy and EMT (another 6 to 8 weeks). After that, start testing and try to get on where I can but would also like to continue advancing my training while my momentum is up.

Problem is, fall classes are most likely going to be booked or started when I'm at that point, so my options seem to be 1) wait till next year or 2) go the online route (trainingdivision). I weighed these options when choosing a FF academy and chose the traditional academy and happy I did. But, I'm not wanting to wait that long to continue my education and am afraid if I take a year off, I'll lose momentum.

I'm considering a move to another state in the next couple years and waiting a year will put this farther away, which is why i'm wanting to go forward and get it behind me as quick (without rushing) as I can. Am I wrong about considering the medic cert through TD.com? The way I look at it, I'm either getting lectures either way. I'll still be doing my hands-on and skills; seems to me the main difference will be keeping my motivation up at a home based course. I'm real close to them which will help.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Wussup sredish?!? OK...Let's see if we can frame this the right way!

You have positioned yourself pretty well so far, completing EMT and the Fire Academy. And I agree that it's easy to get stagnant when you're not in the groove and keeping the momentum going. I think you're right on point by jumping right into the testing process ANY and EVERYWHERE you can. You might as well start getting the practice of test taking and doing interviews. Here's a couple things that immediately come to my mind:

1) Are there any reserve/volunteer programs you can throw yourself into post-academy, in the meantime?

2) Is your full-time business work load light enough that you may be able to work part time for a private ambulance company as an EMT running 911 calls? I say this because I was a medic for 14 years. The guys that have been around EMS and pre-hospital care the most (busy engine company, ambulance EMT) are the ones that usually excel in medic school. It becomes second hand; patient bedside manner, familiarity with treatment modalities, terminology, and the things they can't teach you in medic school). The guys that try and jump into medic school without much exposure, sometimes struggle and GENERALLY, speaking don't perform as well during their field internship! This is noticeable immediately to a paramedic preceptor/trainer. Also, not to offend anyone, but have you considered the stigma of receiving medic training through an online course?? Would you want your personal physician, nurse practitioner or PA to get their training online?? Something to think about!!

3) You can move to another state if you want, BUT personally I don't think it's necessary! (This excludes testing out of state for firefighter). You might consider testing for firefighter, and then move when you get a job. Without knowing an area's particular economic situation, you don't want to move blindly!! If you do move, place yourself in good position first!! When one operates from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness or uncertainty, you'll always be better off! I'm sure you'll hear other opinions, that's just mine!!

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yields Power and Dominion IN ACTION!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Theaxemancometh View Post

1) Are there any reserve/volunteer programs you can throw yourself into post-academy, in the meantime?
    Yes sir, there are and one of the chiefs from academy is asst. chief there, so I feel pretty good about getting a good volunteer spot.

2) Is your full-time business work load light enough that you may be able to work part time for a private ambulance company as an EMT running 911 calls? I say this because I was a medic for 14 years. The guys that have been around EMS and pre-hospital care the most (busy engine company, ambulance EMT) are the ones that usually excel in medic school. It becomes second hand; patient bedside manner, familiarity with treatment modalities, terminology, and the things they can't teach you in medic school). The guys that try and jump into medic school without much exposure, sometimes struggle and GENERALLY, speaking don't perform as well during their field internship! This is noticeable immediately to a paramedic preceptor/trainer. Also, not to offend anyone, but have you considered the stigma of receiving medic training through an online course?? Would you want your personal physician, nurse practitioner or PA to get their training online?? Something to think about!!
    I have considered the stigma and don't completely like the idea so it's something to weigh out for sure. I can see, as well, how not getting as much exposure can make it a harder struggle; I'm sure it's hard enough to begin with. My load is somewhat flexible yes, but when I'm lessening my load, my money will lessen as well, something I'll have to take up with the wife and see how it plays out but I would very much welcome the experience.

3) You can move to another state if you want, BUT personally I don't think it's necessary! (This excludes testing out of state for firefighter). You might consider testing for firefighter, and then move when you get a job. Without knowing an area's particular economic situation, you don't want to move blindly!! If you do move, place yourself in good position first!! When one operates from a position of strength rather than a position of weakness or uncertainty, you'll always be better off! I'm sure you'll hear other opinions, that's just mine!!
    Moving is something me and the wife have been talking about for awhile... her family is in AZ (i'm in TX) and we met in AZ (lived there for a bit) so we've been talking about once we kind of establish myself and get a job and some experience, then start working on making a move, putting myself in a good position like you said first. Which is partly why i want to move to medic quicker rather than slower, to help the hiring process and get time in before a move and I'd like the move to be somewhat sooner than a ways away.

Also, as a medic, i could potentially get a decent job doing medic work while trying to hire on at a dept after the move. just out loud thoughts anyways....

thanks a lot for the reply, appreciate the ideas and directions....

Forum Member

Have you checked what most departments in arizona require??

have you checked into "reciprocity" as far as firefighting certification, and kind of goes back to first question

have you checked some of the ambulance services or even hospitals that either do the in house training or pay you to go on thier dime??? to get higher emt levels????

Yo "red"....Don't underestimate the value of some good, solid experience. If that means being a volunteer, THEN DO IT! If it means working as a private ambulance EMT running 911 calls, THEN DO IT!! But I'm telling you brother, not in all cases, but the majority; going into a field internship without much hands-on experience is "BAD JU-JU!!" Do everything you can to avoid that position. Even if you make it out into the field and pass your internship, you'll soon discover what I'm talking about...when you get on one of those "oh-sh*t" calls that you never experienced in your field internship. And your preceptors signed you off anyways...and you're partnered up with a guy that doesn't have much more EMT field experience than you...God help you!!( and the patient). Talk about the blind leading the blind lol!!

Even if you just get six months or a year of EMT experience, it's better than none at all!! Move out of state if you need..just keep what I said in mind. Position yourself in a place of strength, not weakness. This applies to all aspects of this process. Best of luck!!

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yields Power and Dominion IN ACTION!!!"

axe man... I get ya. I'm a very ocd perfectionist; I strive to be the best, want to know everything and not be the short man out. I definitely have a reservation with not getting the best education and training I can. This is exactly the reason I chose the traditional academy, to obtain the best and most in-depth training so I can come out ready to work. I worry and fear being the 'guy' that is in a 'blind leading the blind' scenario, however I imagine in some way or another, this situation will probably come up at some point.

I am super anxious to get on somewhere and start getting some time in the saddle and I'm sure that getting a medic is plenty hard with having emt experience, let alone going straight into it.

I have to say though, it will be very disappointing to have to wait a year before I can continue on with my education. I'm going to be contacting the college that provides most of the local ems training and see exactly what their schedule is. Volunteering is a no-question... it has to and will be done. There's a local hospital that is usually needing emts for ambulance work so i'll be contacting them to see if i can get time in there as well.

thanks so much for the positive reinforcement and positive directions.... bouncing these things off someone definitely helps. i understand your points completely and agree 100%.

Thread Information