Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Dekalb Now Accepting Entry Level FF Positions!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Act soon this job notice is only effective for one week, closing on the 18th of June. Applications can be filled out online and emailed to the county. Go to the Dekalb County website under jobs and on the bottom of the application it gives the ability to email it to HR. I have many friends who have come here from New York, California, Ohio, Florida ect. This is a great opportunity to work for one of the busiest departments in the southeast. Lots of fire, specialty teams, progressive department. Stop applying to the same departments up north or out west, With thousands of people applying for a only handful of jobs. We just got approved for the safer grant and due to a county early out we will hire 172 FF's over the next two years. Current authorized staffing is 800 sworn with 26 stations covering 260 sq miles.

DeKalb County Human Resources
    Job Announcement
    an Equal Opportunity Employer
    Firefighter I - 3590
    Open Competitive Applications accepted: 06/14/10 Ė 06/18/10
    Annual Salary Range: $32,472 - $52,776
    General Information: The beginning
    salary is based on a combination of education,
    certifications and related work experience.
    Names of candidates passing all evaluation
    phases are placed on an eligible register.
    Recent experience may be a determining
    factor. Eligibility is valid for a maximum of
    one year.
    Benefits: 15 days vacation; 13 days sick
    leave; 10 paid holidays and merit salary
    increases, subject to funding; medical group
    insurance options; pension plan; opportunities
    for promotion; deferred compensation plan.
    Physical Ability: Successful completion
    of a job related physical examination by a
    County Examining Physician is required.
    Incumbents of this classification are subject to
    random drug and alcohol testing. DeKalb
    County does not discriminate on the basis
    of disability.
    Applications must be filed with DeKalb
    County Human Resources no later than
    closing date. All applications, including those
    for promotional and transfer positions, must
    be completed in their entirety. Failure to give
    complete and detailed information,
    including dates of employment and salary
    history, will result in your application being
    disqualified.
    Main Office: 1300 Commerce Drive
    Room 100,
    Decatur, GA 30030
    (404) 371-2332
    Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
    Field Office: 4380 Memorial Dr.
    Suite 400
    Decatur, GA 30032
    (404) 508-2530
    Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
    Evaluation Will Consist Of:
    * Education
    * Driverís License
    * Physical Agility Test
    * Written Test
    * Background Investigation/Fingerprints
    * Drug Screening
    * Oral Interview
    Minimum Requirements: High school diploma or GED. Must be
    a minimum of 18 years of age. Must obtain Emergency Medical
    Technician-Intermediate (EMT-I) certification from the Georgia
    Department of Human Resources and NPQ1 Firefighter Certification within
    12 months of employment in this classification. Must possess and maintain
    a valid State driverís license. The working test period for this job
    classification is 12 months.
    Essential Functions: The following duties are normal for this position.
    These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may
    be required and assigned.
    Attends training sessions to learn proper methods, procedures, and
    techniques used in risk reduction, fire suppression, public education, and
    emergency medical care; responds with crew on emergency, accident, fire,
    and emergency medical calls on fire apparatus and emergency rescue
    vehicle; studies and participates in equipment use training; upon completion
    of the academy, performs fire control/suppression duties and administers
    first aid and basic life support to patients; maintains apparatus, emergency
    rescue vehicle and fire station; conducts business and hydrant inspections;
    conducts salvage and overhauls of premises after fire is extinguished;
    participates in fire drills, public education programs, and risk reduction
    inspections.
    Work Schedule: Employees may be required to regularly work on
    various shifts, weekends and/or holidays as deemed necessary by the
    employing department.
    Date posted: June 14, 2010

Forum Member

Application submitted. Any word on how many apps have been sent in so far? Also, any idea of how quick this process is going to go? Thanks in advance for any input.

MembersZone Subscriber

No word yet on either of those things but i wouldn't imagine many. For some reason it is not like some other places in the country where people are lined up out the door to submit an application. I do know the last time we accepted apps. for entry level firefighter it was kept open for approx. 3 months and that list was exhausted......sooo I'm sure you can do the math for a one week acceptance period. lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Interested candidates will go through several weeks of instructional and practical skill training at DeKalb County's Fire Rescue Academy by Nationally accredited instructors. The initial training program.

* 2-week orientation
    * 2-weeks Emergency Medical Training
    * 4-weeks Accelerated Rescue Training

Can someone describe the 4 weeks of rescue training?? Is this like vehicle rescue, rope, etc...?
    Last edited by JTFIRE80; 06-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Sounds like a great oppurtunity then...I have my emt-b, ff-2 cert(from another state)..But hopefully they won't hold anything against me for being a Vols fan..Haha

Forum Member

You will do fine in the academy. It is middle of the road as far as difficulty is concerned. The academy was 16 weeks when I went through, for the fire side(NPQ CERT). You must be an EMT I(National Reg), and will be trained to the level during the next 16 weeks. So total training time will be 8 months, all paid by Dekalb while your are obtaining the required certs.

Forum Member

After you get out of the fire side do they assign you to a company, or do they send you through EMT-I school first? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Interested candidates will go through several weeks of instructional and practical skill training at DeKalb County's Fire Rescue Academy by Nationally accredited instructors. The initial training program.

* 2-week orientation
    * 2-weeks Emergency Medical Training
    * 4-weeks Accelerated Rescue Training

Can someone describe the 4 weeks of rescue training?? Is this like vehicle rescue, rope, etc...?
    that schedule is for people with npq and emt cert right. does one with npq 1 and emt still have to go through the 16 weeks of basic or is the above schedule for those with that already. does anyone know if they are looking to hire those with certs already or will hire with nothing. also about when does anyone know if they are anticpating a class to start after the hiring process.

Forum Member

You will finish you training completly, prior to coming to the field. That includes both fire and EMT. Remember tommorrow June 18th 2010 is the last day to apply. This list will be good for one year. If you already have NPQ and National Reg. EMT I, they will probably get you into a fast track class if there enough people like you.

Forum Member

What kind of retirement plan is the department on? Also, what are your pay increases like? I have NPQ and EMT-B, if i want to get my medic, does the department pay for that? Thanks for answering my questions, I am very interested in applying with the department.

Forum Member

The retirement is 2.25% for the county pension and there is also a state firefighter retirement. 30 years and out no penalty or age 55 with 20 years. You will have to check with the benifits, because there was a change since I was hired. There is still a defined benifit, and our pension plan is strong and well funded. If your from florida it's not as good as the state retirement with the DROP plan, but my friends who just took the early out are basically earning the same money with the state retirment as their full pay during the last year. So they opted to stay at home with no loss in pay. This state is work to right, so although there is a union, we have wait until the congress passes the collective barganing bill. Which is up for vote soon.

The promotions are FF I, FF II, FAO/FMOA, Captain, B.C ect. You receive a 5%and 5% for each promotion you receive. The second 5% is after a 6 month probation.

Although fire house stats in the run survey can only be used as a estimate. Dekalb was listed as the Tenth busiest department last year. Lots of fire and great opportunities for advancement. You can test for officer in just over six years.

Forum Member

The department currently doesn't have it's own county run paramedic class, but it will give you a 10% raise for acquiring that cert. We are a progressive fire rescue department with strong field protocols, so we don't have to call med control before pushing narcs or other meds. Back to paramedic school, after your a georgia resident you can apply for the hope scholarship. This money comes from ther state lottery system and will help pay for most of a paramedic cert./degree.

Tommorrow is the last days to apply. We have 173 open position sice getting the safer grant and after the early outs. If you know someone who is looking for a great opportunity pass this info on.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Can someone describe the 4 weeks of rescue training?? Is this like vehicle rescue, rope, etc...? "

-The four weeks of rescue training include a class over medical protocols and a review over standard operating procedures. You will take a protocol test at the end of the class. It may also include CPR re-cert and ACLS re-cert for those already medics.

"After you get out of the fire side do they assign you to a company, or do they send you through EMT-I school first? Thanks."

-You will be put through EMT-I school and fire school before entering the field. The schedula of this is five days a week, fourty hours a week until finished.

"that schedule is for people with npq and emt cert right. does one with npq 1 and emt still have to go through the 16 weeks of basic or is the above schedule for those with that already. does anyone know if they are looking to hire those with certs already or will hire with nothing. also about when does anyone know if they are anticpating a class to start after the hiring process."

-If you already have EMT-I equivelant or above, then you will not have to go through EMT school. EVERYONE, even those already NPQ certified, will have to go through the whole fire school. There is no fast track anymore.

"What kind of retirement plan is the department on? Also, what are your pay increases like? I have NPQ and EMT-B, if i want to get my medic, does the department pay for that? Thanks for answering my questions, I am very interested in applying with the department. "

-We have the county pension plan, Georgia firefigher pension fund, and a 457 plan that is optional if you choose to partake in it. The department does not pay for you to get your medic, but once you do you will get a raise for it. I am fairly new to the department so I do not know about yearly raises and such. But, I do know that you get a 5% raise at completion of recruit school and another 5% at the end of your one year probation period.
    Last edited by ffhh74; 06-17-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Forum Member

Default a couple questions

Can you tell me what the physical test consists of? I also have a question for a friend. Will they hire somebody who has slight colorblindness?

Forum Member

What were the run statistics for the last year? How fast Does the process usually run, especially if there are alot of positions to fill this time around? Were the 170 slots approved by the county yet?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Off the top of my head I believe approx. 120,000 incidents and over 200,000 total responses. I would assume the process would run pretty quickly with the list only being good for one year, but do not mark my words on that (we all know how government runs ). And yes, the 170 are vacancies, therefore they need to be filled.

Forum Member

The total calls for the Department were around 80,000. The runs were higher, my Engine ran just over 3000 calls and most of the Engines on the southside do. Engine 7 is the busiest with over 4200 calls last year. The 170 slots have been approved, there are no further cuts to the fire budget due to the safer grant. The grant was approved last year and we started hiring, but the early outs have created more openings. We haven't been able to keep up. Geogia has grown over the last 15 years since the Olympics, especially in the 10 county metro area. Atlanta may have 95% of the high rises, but we fight as much fire or more. As a department we are busier and cover more sq miles the the city of Atlanta. This is one of the busiest departments in the southeast. Since most departments are run by the County we are not as well known by name but, our reputation is solid. I live in the county just north of Dekalb and it's a great place to raise your kids, goods schools, parks, and competative high school sports.

Forum Member

9. DeKalb County, GA....... 201,300 .........150,975 .......34,221 ..... 16,104
    I stand corrected in 2008, these were the numbers for total calls, EMS, fire and other.

Forum Member

Today is the deadline for FF entry applications. HR has authorized the Department to fill 173 positions due to filling the safer grant for staffing and replacing the 80 that just left on a early out.

If I was still living in Gwinnett I would be all over this. DeKalb is a jam up department with an awesome training facility. I have burned there and had interaction with some of the training staff. Great group of people.

Anyone thinking of this should get on it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information