Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Blinn (Texas) College Fire Science Program

Hey everyone, i have a question regarding Blinn College Fire Program.

Would anyone know if it similar to fire academy? I have looked over the brochures and information packets and they state that once you go through your two years you will be eligible to sit for your Firefighter Basic Firefighter Certification, and also that they partner with TEEX to provide training?

So is this more of a "Fire academy" type program or just "Fire Science degree" program?

Here are the course descriptions:

http://www.blinn.edu/twe/fire/CourseDescribe.html

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by d.ray07; 06-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Forum Member

sounds like more degree with perks.

still need some type of medical cerrt to get texas certified, which does not appear included.

Forum Member

The Fire Science Recruit Academy/Degree program was developed as a response to local and national needs for an advanced degree in the field of fire protection and life safety.
    Blinnís fire science program is a unique partnership with the nationís most comprehensive firefighter training and emergency services instructional entityóTexas Engineering Extension Service. TEEX has been providing unsurpassed fire training for emergency responders since 1929. Whether it is in the classroom at Blinn College or at the renowned Brayton Fire Training Field in College Station, students study safety requirements, building codes, and material hazards in order to develop strategies and tactics for dealing with the various aspects of their job. The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree plan also includes an in-depth study of topics such as firefighting strategies and tactics, fire prevention codes and inspections, and fire and arson investigation practices.

"""With completion of the classroom and field work, students are eligible to take the state exam to meet the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards."""

so you can get the ff cert a lot faster then two years, depending on what you want

Well, for the medical part, it states that you have to take and successfully pass a EMT-B course

Here is another link:

http://www.blinn.edu/twe/fire/teex.htm

I'm thinking it is like a Partnership for the College with TEEX

Forum Member

use to if you had certain classes or a degree, you could challange the test

Forum Member

TEEX is pretty amazing. I'd find out what kind of partnership they have exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by fmedic08 View Post
    TEEX is pretty amazing. I'd find out what kind of partnership they have exactly.
    I actually am enrolling into Blinn College this Fall. They offer EMT-B classes as well as Intermediate and Paramedic courses, and they have a fire science certification program that partners with TEEX so that you can recieve your Basic Structural firefighting certification after you go through the Academy for the semester.

I won't be able to do that until spring, so right now I am currently focused on enrolling in EMT as well as spanish courses so i can become bilingual.

Thread Information