Forum Member

Default Best way to create purchase point on those 4 door trucks

I parked next to a new 2010 Toyota 4 door truck this afternoon. Curious how folks would go about creating a purchase point into the back door to get to the nader pin, if that was the door of attack. The other 4 door trucks that interest me are those slightly older late 2000 trucks with kinda suicide opening 4 doors, back doors are usually smaller. Anyone have some first hand success stories?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

The first two options that I see are a halligan in the back seam of the door to get the purchase point. Second point might be to take the front door and see if I can expose the hinges.

Another thought is to try crushing the window frame and C post with the spreaders.

Forum Member

Start with a haligan bar to create a purchase point the force the rear door conventionally. With a rear passenger that had to be extricated I would consider a complete side wall removal. The rear doors on most smaller pickups are 3/4 doors at best. On a crew cab 3/4 ton or 1 ton simply removing the rear door maybe all you need to do.

On the rear swinging doors found on extended cab trucks I mostly likely would start with the front door hinges and work back. With the hinges cut the front door should peel off allowing full access to the rear door locking mechanism. The locking mechanism on most vehicles with these type of doors are located on the rocker panel. Pushing up and out with spreaders should pop the door.

Forum Member

looks to me that the door is forward swinging. so you would treat the door as yopu would any 2 door car or truck. As for the rescue of the rear seat passengers take the side off. You may have to cross ram the door if you have serious intrusion. Those smaller doors can be a bit challenging.

Truckie

Place the spreaders vertically in the window and pinch the door by the pin.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vertical Crush

Those type of 4 doors have a B pillar and all 4 doors are hinged in the front and swing forward same as a standard 4 door sedan. Start with a vertical crush technique with your spreaders placed vertically in the window of the rear door. Ron Moore's June University of Extrication article is on total sidewall removal which outlines "Blowing Out The B Pillar".
    Last edited by ejfeicht; 06-25-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Forum Member

I'm a big fan of using the spreaders vertically in the window to make a purchase point.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ff900 View Post
    I'm a big fan of using the spreaders vertically in the window to make a purchase point.
    I understand and like how this technique works, but it always worries me having the tool that close to the patients face and head. Yes we do our best to shield the patient, but when working with older heavy spreaders I just don't feel as comfortable working in the window as I do getting a purchase point with a halligan or other method. It's still a good technique to have in the tool box though. Especially useful on Saturn's or other vehicles with plastic doors.

Default Rear Door

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    I parked next to a new 2010 Toyota 4 door truck this afternoon. Curious how folks would go about creating a purchase point into the back door to get to the nader pin, if that was the door of attack. The other 4 door trucks that interest me are those slightly older late 2000 trucks with kinda suicide opening 4 doors, back doors are usually smaller. Anyone have some first hand success stories?
    If you break the window in that door and use spreaders to clamp down on it the compressing of the door will cause the area near the nadir pin to open up. Sometimes more than others but always enough to then take the tips of the spreaders and further expand the purchase point.
    Give it a try...
    Mike Donahue
    Progressive Rescue

Forum Member

Everything I was thinking has been covered. Halligan to the seam, and spreaders either vertically in the window or clamp down to open up the seam wide enough for the tips of the spreader.

Thread Information