Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Oliver Fire Department

Oliver, BC is mostly south/central for any one who might be interested.
    ===

Oliver firefighters in hot water after drinking beer 'rescued' from destroyed hotel

By Andy Ivens, The Province June 22, 2010 6:32 AM

Two members of the Oliver Fire Department have been suspended for exercising “extremely poor judgment” after tapping one of six beer kegs that had been rescued in a hotel fire last month.

The historic Mesa Hotel was levelled in a spectacular fire May 23 attended by the all-volunteer Oliver FD, with support from two neighbouring municipalities.

No one was hurt in the blaze, which started around 7:30 a.m. The hotel had been closed for months and only the hotel bar, which was empty at the time, was being operated as a business.

As the smouldering site was being demolished, some firefighters noticed the six kegs of beer and decided to save the valuable merchandise, Oliver Mayor Pat Hampson told The Province Monday night.

But instead of turning the salvaged suds over to the police, the kegs were taken to the Oliver firehall for safekeeping.

“The unfortunate part is the owners didn’t know [the kegs] had been removed,” said Hampson.

“While they were at the firehall, somebody decided to open one up.”

Hampson called the incident “very serious.”

“Two firefighters were suspended as punishment for what we consider inappropriate actions,” said Hampson.

“The police have completed their investigation,” he said, adding he is unaware whether any charges have been recommended.

“There was no malice aforethought.”

Hampson said the bar’s lottery terminal and credit card scanner were turned over to the police.

“Typically, the valuables are turned over to the police in a situation like this,” said Hampson, a former fire chief.

The guilty parties offered to pay the hotel owner for the keg that was tapped and the owner accepted payment.

In an interesting twist, “The owner said, ‘Well, you may as well take the other kegs down there and store them, too,’” said Hampson.

“There were more than the six kegs.”

The fire department has taken out an ad in Tuesday’s edition of The Oliver Chronicle to apologize for the incident.

“We have faith in our fire department that they do the right thing,” added Hampson.

aivens@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Oliver+...#ixzz0rbOvl5tP

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    “There were more than the six kegs.”
    If you haven't figured it out yet, you always admit to stealing half of what you stole. Especially kegs.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

If it were 2 cases of soda would it even make the news??

MembersZone Subscriber

Cops are likely just mad that the FD didn't do the work of hauling the suds to the police "evidence' room. Never to be seen again.

When I was with Malahat, we had always hoped that the Guinness truck {which ran up Island every Thursday}, would collide with the Coca-cola and Bacardi trucks. To my knowledge, this has yet to happen.

Updated report: {I guess it had to happen this way. While it might be fun to dream of a similar situation, it would not be very cool to keep the stuff.}

Fire force suspended over salvaged suds

Canwest News Service July 7, 2010 1:08 AM

Every member of a B.C. volunteer fire department will undergo a rotating two-week suspension after kegs of beer removed from a burning hotel were later tapped.

The historic Mesa Hotel in Oliver was levelled in a spectacular fire on May 23 that was attended by the town's all-volunteer fire department.

As the site was going up in flames, some firefighters noticed six kegs of beer and decided to save the merchandise. But instead of turning the salvaged suds over to police and notifying the owner, the kegs were taken to the firehall.

The department has apologized and reimbursed the pub's owner for the beer.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/to...#ixzz0szpucAB9

We have done suspensions in my VFD also.. not really much of a punishment.

We also dealt with a similar issue, although it wasn't beer. The guys who did it, didn't think it was theft because they thought it was essentially garbage, but they were wrong.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Canwest News Service July 7, 2010 1:08 AM
    "As the site was going up in flames, some firefighters noticed six kegs of beer and decided to save the merchandise. But instead of turning the salvaged suds over to police and notifying the owner, the kegs were taken to the firehall."
    Not a bad trade off for the fire fighters. Steal a felony amount of product, be it beer or stuffed animals, and only receive a 2 week suspension. No criminal charges pending? Not even an on going investigation?

Criminal charges have not been laid, but the RCMPstill have an open file on this.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Thread Information