MembersZone Subscriber

Question Truck Company Equipment Cache

Hello Everyone,

I've mentioned a few times that my department is a month out from taking delivery of a new 75' Quint. The way we operate is that even though the truck is a "Quint", we operate as the primary ladder company for our first due plus we have a good amount of coverage area on a mutual aid basis. The reason we have a quint is so that it can run as a back up to our wagon if it's out of service or we run it a bit as the daytime rig. We do not try to do both jobs with the one truck at any incident... one purpose or the other.

I have been blessed with the task of procuring the loose equipment for this rig. Mind you, being a quint we are a bit tight on space but I have faith that we can make anything work.

To the experianced Truckie's here...

What do you carry on your rig and why? Any special tools or tricks you may share? Other then PPV and a few odds and ends, we haven't updated our loose equipment in 15-20 years so we're looking for new and progressive ideas here. Trying to make this as open of a discussion as possible.

Thanks!
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

This is not all inclusive, but our trucks carry:

Ladders
    Extrication Equipment
    Salvage and Overhaul hand tools - pike poles, axes, shovels, tubs, etc.
    Generator
    Lights
    Salvage covers
    Stokes basket
    Backboards
    First Aid Equipment
    PPV
    Saws
    Gas cans
    Forcible entry tools
    hot sticks
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Spend a little extra money and time on brackets / mounts. You will make the room you have go further. I was at the New England Chief's Saturday and saw some neat things PAC had for mounts on display.

Forum Member

Sean, you guys are pretty progressive, I assume you have riding assignments. Here's what we had. The number in parenthesis is the minimum number carried.

(3) six foot hooks (NY Hook or Boston Rake)
    (2) sets of irons
    (2) extra flatheads
    (2) extra halligans
    (2) eight foot hooks
    (1) ten foot hook
    (1) hydra-ram
    (2) 10lb sledge hammers
    (1) large bolt cutters
    (1) small bolt cutters

(2) chainsaws: one fire department heavy duty roof saw (Cutters Edge or equal with an appropriate carbide-tipped bullet chain) one multi-purpose heavy duty chainsaw with a utility chain.
    (2) rotary saws: One with a WARTHOG blade, one with a steel blade.
    (1) complete set of saw tools & accessories & fluids

(2) salvage tubs
    (2) 10x10 salvage covers
    (2) 20x20 salvage covers
    (2) 3x10 floor runners
    (2) flat shovels
    (1) spade shovel

(1) gas powered Hurst power unit
    (1) electric (mounted on board, up top) hurst power unit, connected to the
    (2) 100' reels, one with a combi-tool preconnected, one with the 32"s connected.
    (1 each) small, med & large ram
    (1) home-made sill plate
    (2) extra 25' hoses
    (1) set of accessory tips for the spreaders
    (1) set of chains

Thats all I can think of right now, it's so hot out that my brain partially melted.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

PS: I know you only have a quint, and we only had a quint (g-damn waste of compartment and ground ladder space....) but you SHOULD have the following (minimum number in parenthesis)

(2) 35's
    (2) 28's
    (2) 20's
    (2) 14's
    (1) 40' or 50'
    (1) Little Giant or Attic Ladder

Forum Member

What in fook would I want a 50 for? Weight training? You'll be hard pressed to get that(Ladder complement) onto a QUINT. Mines ladder heavy;(2) 35's,a 28,2 16's(roof) 2 12's(Roof) Lil Giant, Fresno and a folder. Got 2 25 Roof at the Station,but no space on rig to put them. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-29-2010 at 01:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies so far. It looks we're well on the right track.

I wish we could carry all those ladders. Around this area no one is ladder heavy... except for our current rig, but in order to keep weight and size down the new one is severely lacking by our standards.

Currently we have 2 35's, 2 24's, 2 14 Roof, 1 16' 2 Fly, 3 Attic, and a Little Giant.

We dropping down to 2 16 Roof, 1 24, 1 35, 2 Attic, and the Little Giant. (Really Blows)

We're already training to get in the habit of fetching off the Engine's which will cover what we need. Plus our 2nd due truck is a Tower Ladder from Burlington City which carries about the same as our new rig. We have very few buildings over 3 Stories so we should be fine once we get over the learning curve.

Everything else you all have mentioned is about on par with what we're planning.

Buff... I wish I had room to squeeze extrication equipment in. Or the money to buy it.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. It looks we're well on the right track.

I wish we could carry all those ladders. Around this area no one is ladder heavy... except for our current rig, but in order to keep weight and size down the new one is severely lacking by our standards.

Currently we have 2 35's, 2 24's, 2 14 Roof, 1 16' 2 Fly, 3 Attic, and a Little Giant.

We dropping down to 2 16 Roof, 1 24, 1 35, 2 Attic, and the Little Giant. (Really Blows)

We're already training to get in the habit of fetching off the Engine's which will cover what we need. Plus our 2nd due truck is a Tower Ladder from Burlington City which carries about the same as our new rig. We have very few buildings over 3 Stories so we should be fine once we get over the learning curve.

Everything else you all have mentioned is about on par with what we're planning.

Buff... I wish I had room to squeeze extrication equipment in. Or the money to buy it.
    How about a 28 for the 24? Gives you a LITTLE more and doesn't take up much space. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    PS: I know you only have a quint, and we only had a quint (g-damn waste of compartment and ground ladder space....) but you SHOULD have the following (minimum number in parenthesis)

(2) 35's
    (2) 28's
    (2) 20's
    (2) 14's
    (1) 40' or 50'
    (1) Little Giant or Attic Ladder
    You MIGHT wanna look at a NFPA COMPLIANT LADDER list(for a LADDER TRUCK), YOUR list AIN'T it! 115' REQUIRED,anything ELSE..........OPTIONAL. 85' for a QUINT. I'm PRETTY sure ours EXCEEDS the STANDARD. T.C.

Forum Member

Sean, you guys are pretty progressive, I assume you have riding assignments. Here's what we had. The number in parenthesis is the minimum number carried.

(3) six foot hooks (NY Hook or Boston Rake)
    (2) sets of irons
    (2) extra flatheads
    (2) extra halligans
    (2) eight foot hooks
    (1) ten foot hook
    (1) hydra-ram
    (2) 10lb sledge hammers
    (1) large bolt cutters
    (1) small bolt cutters

(2) chainsaws: one fire department heavy duty roof saw (Cutters Edge or equal with an appropriate carbide-tipped bullet chain) one multi-purpose heavy duty chainsaw with a utility chain.
    (2) rotary saws: One with a WARTHOG blade, one with a steel blade.
    (1) complete set of saw tools & accessories & fluids

(2) salvage tubs
    (2) 10x10 salvage covers
    (2) 20x20 salvage covers
    (2) 3x10 floor runners
    (2) flat shovels
    (1) spade shovel

(1) gas powered Hurst power unit
    (1) electric (mounted on board, up top) hurst power unit, connected to the
    (2) 100' reels, one with a combi-tool preconnected, one with the 32"s connected.
    (1 each) small, med & large ram
    (1) home-made sill plate
    (2) extra 25' hoses
    (1) set of accessory tips for the spreaders
    (1) set of chains

Thats all I can think of right now, it's so hot out that my brain partially melted.....
    Make that 4 saws and you're CLOSE. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

My former volunteer company has a 75' single axle quint with one 35', two 24', two 16' roof, one 10' attic in it. All but one of the 16' roof ladders are in the torque box storage area where ladders are typically stored.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    My former volunteer company has a 75' single axle quint with one 35', two 24', two 16' roof, one 10' attic in it. All but one of the 16' roof ladders are in the torque box storage area where ladders are typically stored.
    ALL ours,minus ONE 12' and the Lil Giant are. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Make that 4 saws and you're CLOSE. T.C.
    Re-read. I said 4 saws. 2 chain/2rotary.

Forum Member

Re-read. I said 4 saws. 2 chain/2rotary.
    You're FORGIVEN,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Post Single or Tandem ?

Hey Sean, Is your new quint a 75' steel ladder -or- Aluminum, on a single rear 33,000lb axle ? You don't want your truck to stop like our two Aerialscopes!

Forum Member

Default Aerial Equipment

Start with NFPA 1901 Chapter 8 Aerial Fire Apparatus:

Ground Ladders.
    A minimum of 115 ft of ground ladders shall be supplied and installed by the contractor.
    As a minimum, the following types of ladders shall be provided:
    1. One attic ladder
    2. Two straight ladders with folding roof hooks
    3. Two extension ladders

Aerial fire apparatus shall be equipped with at least the following equipment:
    1. Two 6 lb flathead axes mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    2. Three 6 lb pickhead axes mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    3. Four pike poles mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    4. Two 3 ft to 4 ft plaster hooks with D handles mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    5. Two crowbars mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    6. Two claw tools mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    7. Two 12 lb sledgehammers mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    8. Four portable hand lights mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    9. One approved dry chemical portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 80-B:C rating mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    10. One 2.5 gal or larger water extinguisher mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    11. One SCBA complying with NFPA 1981 for each assigned seating position, but not fewer than four, mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus or stored in containers supplied by the SCBA manufacturer
    12. One spare SCBA cylinder for each SCBA carried, each mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus or stored in a specially designed storage space(s)
    13. One first aid kit
    14. Six salvage covers, each a minimum size of 12 ft x 18 ft
    15. Four combination spanner wrenches mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    16. Two scoop shovels mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    17. One pair of bolt cutters, 24 in. minimum, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    18. Four ladder belts meeting the requirements of NFPA 1983, Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components
    19. One 150 ft light-use life safety rope meeting the requirements of NFPA 1983, Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components
    20. One 150 ft general-use life safety rope meeting the requirements of NFPA 1983, Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components
    21. Two 150 ft utility ropes having a breaking strength of at least 5000 lb
    22. One box of tools to include the following:

1. One hacksaw with three blades
    2. One keyhole saw
    3. One 12 in. pipe wrench
    4. One 24 in. pipe wrench
    5. One ballpeen hammer
    6. One pair of tin snips
    7. One pair of pliers
    8. One pair of lineman's pliers
    9. Assorted types and sizes of screwdrivers
    10. Assorted adjustable wrenches
    11. Assorted combination wrenches

23. Two wheel chocks, mounted in readily accessible locations, each designed to hold the apparatus, when loaded to its maximum in-service weight, on a 10 percent grade with the transmission in neutral and the parking brake released.
    24. One traffic vest for each seating position, each vest to comply with ANSI/ISEA 207, Standard for High-Visibility Public Safety Vests, and have a five-point breakaway feature that includes two at the shoulders, two at the sides, and one at the front.
    25. Five fluorescent orange traffic cones not less than 28 in. in height, each equipped with a 6 in. retroreflective white band no more than 4 in. from the top of the cone, and an additional 4 in. retroreflective white band 2 in. below the 6 in. band.
    26. Five illuminated warning devices such as highway flares, unless the five fluorescent orange traffic cones have illuminating capabilities
    27. One automatic external defibrillator (AED)

If the aerial fire apparatus is equipped with a fire pump, the requirements of 8.8.3.1 through 8.8.3.3 shall apply.

The following equipment shall be provided:

1. One double female 2.5 in.adapter with National Hose threads, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    2. One double male 2.5 in. adapter with National Hose threads, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    3. One rubber mallet, for use on suction hose connections, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    4. Two hydrant wrenches mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus.

Add extras after.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimbren View Post

Ground Ladders.
    A minimum of 115 ft of ground ladders shall be supplied and installed by the contractor.
    1. One attic ladder
    3. Two extension ladders

4. Two 3 ft to 4 ft plaster hooks with D handles mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    9. One approved dry chemical portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 80-B:C rating mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    10. One 2.5 gal or larger water extinguisher mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    11. One SCBA complying with NFPA 1981 for each assigned seating position, but not fewer than four, mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus or stored in containers supplied by the SCBA manufacturer
    12. One spare SCBA cylinder for each SCBA carried, each mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus or stored in a specially designed storage space(s)
    13. One first aid kit
    15. Four combination spanner wrenches mounted in brackets fastened to the apparatus
    17. One pair of bolt cutters, 24 in. minimum, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    18. Four ladder belts meeting the requirements of NFPA 1983, Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components
    19. One 150 ft light-use life safety rope meeting the requirements of NFPA 1983, Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components
    20. One 150 ft general-use life safety rope meeting the requirements of NFPA 1983, Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components

2. One keyhole saw
    5. One ballpeen hammer
    6. One pair of tin snips
    7. One pair of pliers

23. Two wheel chocks, mounted in readily accessible locations, each designed to hold the apparatus, when loaded to its maximum in-service weight, on a 10 percent grade with the transmission in neutral and the parking brake released.
    24. One traffic vest for each seating position, each vest to comply with ANSI/ISEA 207, Standard for High-Visibility Public Safety Vests, and have a five-point breakaway feature that includes two at the shoulders, two at the sides, and one at the front.
    25. Five fluorescent orange traffic cones not less than 28 in. in height, each equipped with a 6 in. retroreflective white band no more than 4 in. from the top of the cone, and an additional 4 in. retroreflective white band 2 in. below the 6 in. band.
    26. Five illuminated warning devices such as highway flares, unless the five fluorescent orange traffic cones have illuminating capabilities

If the aerial fire apparatus is equipped with a fire pump, the requirements of 8.8.3.1 through 8.8.3.3 shall apply.

1. One double female 2.5 in.adapter with National Hose threads, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    2. One double male 2.5 in. adapter with National Hose threads, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus
    3. One rubber mallet, for use on suction hose connections, mounted in a bracket fastened to the apparatus

Add extras after.
    AND IF A QUINT,85' of Ground ladders instead of 115',T.C.

Forum Member

Ground Ladders.
    1. One attic ladder
    3. Two extension ladders .
    Like most NFPA standards, the ground ladder standard for truck companies is a fooking joke.

Forum Member

Like most NFPA standards, the ground ladder standard for truck companies is a fooking joke.
    You won't find ANY Quints(and FEW Ladders) with YOUR ladder load. Unless you stack 'em on top. T.c.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    You won't find ANY Quints(and FEW Ladders) with YOUR ladder load. Unless you stack 'em on top. T.c.
    Boston's got em. Philly's got em. FDNY's got em. Newark's got em....Baltimore..And what do these all have in common....

Drumroll, please.....

No fooking homosexual quints!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey man...

You can hate Quints all day long...

But when our Engine is out of service... That quint sure does a good job picking up the slack. If we had 2 pumpers... we would probably have a true truck.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Forum Member

Boston's got em. Philly's got em. FDNY's got em. Newark's got em....Baltimore..And what do these all have in common....

Drumroll, please.....

No fooking homosexual quints!
    Yes,yes,yes, Dumbass but LTG has a WHAT coming? DRUM ROLL PLEASE...................A QUINT! Get it? GOOD. Now go lay down. T.C.

Forum Member

Buff, FDNY carries 131' of ground ladders -- or at least they did on their '06 rigs.

http://my.seagrave.com/ContentManage...odel%20(1).PDF

Forum Member

Ground Ladders.
    1. One attic ladder
    3. Two extension ladders

13. One first aid kit

2. One keyhole saw
    5. One ballpeen hammer
    6. One pair of tin snips
    7. One pair of pliers

Add extras after.
    5 firefighters mounted in brackets and fastened to the apparatus

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneL1L View Post
    Buff, FDNY carries 131' of ground ladders -- or at least they did on their '06 rigs.

http://my.seagrave.com/ContentManage...odel%20(1).PDF
    Hey BUFF,it would APPEAR that you are,umn,ah,MISTAKEN and that MY QUINT carries more jungle gym than the City. Care to REVIEW YOUR "facts"?,hehe T.C.

Thread Information