Thread: Contacts?

Forum Member

Default Contacts?

Sorry, I was unsure where to put this thread. It is health related.. So, is it safe to wear contacts while firefighting? I may get a spare pair of glasses anyways. I'm worried about the late night calls and having to get dressed, put contacts in, etc. (doesnt help that I live almost 10 minutes from the station, depending on red lights and how fast I drive..) Thanks for any feedback

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitBFPD View Post
    Sorry, I was unsure where to put this thread. It is health related.. So, is it safe to wear contacts while firefighting? I may get a spare pair of glasses anyways. I'm worried about the late night calls and having to get dressed, put contacts in, etc. (doesnt help that I live almost 10 minutes from the station, depending on red lights and how fast I drive..) Thanks for any feedback
    I would suggest trying the search feature. I know that this topic has been discussed before.

I wore contacts for 3+ years while firefighting. sometimes they got dry, but that's just part of their nature. Just make sure to clean them/change them out regularly. Especially after a big fire. You can also get some that are designed to wear at night so you don't have to put them in before responding.

Forum Member

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Kind of hard to see on my phone at 11:30 with no contacts in, haha. Someone kindly delete this thread? Or maybe I can do that...

Forum Member

I have absolutely no problems with the job and contacts. I did have to switch to the night & day kind. They are made so that you can sleep in them, so when I am on duty I wear them at night.

Forum Member

i actually got LASIK for this exact reason... plus on problem with glasses is that once you mask up you can either lose them or damage them ditching them someplace... Nevermind the fact if you don't have the proper perscription sleve for the mask your back to your regular vision (which I assume is poor)...

Many doctors will give discounts to Police/Fire for LASIK... Check it out... worked out really great for me...

Forum Member

I have Acuvu Oasis with Hydra Clear. They say there 1 - 2 week contacts. I leave mine in for 5-8 months.. Strait, never taking them out. Never have had a prolbem. Every once in a great while, I use eye drops, to help clean them a little bit better, but besides that have had no issues.

Forum Member

Yes, glasses are very important in firefighting, but any article about the importance?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
    I have Acuvu Oasis with Hydra Clear. They say there 1 - 2 week contacts. I leave mine in for 5-8 months.. Strait, never taking them out. Never have had a prolbem. Every once in a great while, I use eye drops, to help clean them a little bit better, but besides that have had no issues.
    This is definitely not safe for your eyes to do this. There is a reason that the disposable contacts have a recommended time frame for disposal. You could end up doing irreversible damage to your eyes by wearing them WAY beyond what you are suppose to. That is not a good thing.

Next time mention to your eye doctor that you do this and see what they say. Mine would freak on me.

Thread Information