Forum Member

Smile Boston FD Kme engine

Here is a photo of one new KME engine built for the Boston Fire Department, More are on order !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

No disrespect intended....... but my grandson has one of these in his toy box.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Let's talk fire trucks!

This is one of three delivered. The guys who've seen them at the NE Fire Chief's show seemed pretty impressed with them, but time on the streets will tell.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Depending on the streets and roads, I would hazard the guess that it "may" get beat up pretty good in a short time.

Didn't notice any specs on pump or tank size.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I had the opertunity to dig through both E37 and E33 at the NE show. And I was very impressed with the build quality of these trucks. I dont have much experiance with KME, but from what I could tell first hand. And after having talked with the reps for an extended period of time, I was very impressed with their trucks.

Granted only time will tell if they can stand up to what Boston can dish out.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCO38 View Post
    Granted only time will tell if they can stand up to what Boston can dish out.
    Why not ask Philadelphia about their KME's???

(Their 20+ year-old Seagrave reserve pumpers spend less time in Shop 2 than the newer KME's.....)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

E37 I believe is housed with L26. They run a good number of calls and I think they are Huntington Ave. They have t-shirts saying they are first due to Fenway Park.

E33 was also at New England and I believe they are housed close to the Prudential Building in Boston. Walked by the house on the way to Fenway from my hotel.

The crosslays were nice and low and I saw one of the trucks with it hinged up and out of the way so you could get to most of the top of the pump. Rear hosebed was also low.

Unlike some of the other trucks that were at New England Chief's with preconnects with nozzles mounted so high that I don't think I could even touch them from the ground and I am 5' 10".
    Last edited by ChiefDog; 07-02-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added more on truck at NE Chief's Show.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post
    E37 I believe is housed with L26. They run a good number of calls and I think they are Huntington Ave. They have t-shirts saying they are first due to Fenway Park.

E33 was also at New England and I believe they are housed close to the Prudential Building in Boston. Walked by the house on the way to Fenway from my hotel.

The crosslays were nice and low and I saw one of the trucks with it hinged up and out of the way so you could get to most of the top of the pump. Rear hosebed was also low.

Unlike some of the other trucks that were at New England Chief's with preconnects with nozzles mounted so high that I don't think I could even touch them from the ground and I am 5' 10".
    You are correct. E37 is housed with L26 at 560 Huntington Ave in Roxbury. They are a very busy station. According to run reports, both the engine and ladder are the busiest in the city some years with 33/15 being it some years.

E33 is housed with L15 at 941 Boylston St. near the Prudential Center. Both houses can claim to be first due at Fenway. It really all depends on which side of the ballpark the call is on.

They, in my opinion, did a great job specing the rigs. Theres a 3rd from this order which is assigned to E7 on Columbus Ave with TL17. Only time and usage will tell how well these rigs will hold up. But theres no better places for them to go than those 3 companies. And I dont think its a coincidence because Im sure they are going there so they can evaluate how well they hold up. Could they go to other busy companies to get more fire duty, yes. But as far as runs and usage go, those 3 companies are great choices to give an honest evaluation. They also have 2 E-One rearmount 110' ladders due in sometime soon. Im not sure where those are to be assigned at this point.

Forum Member

If it works (since I havent attached photos before), heres a couple pics of E33 from the NE Chiefs Show. Its a better look than the photo to start this thread. In the rear view pic, you can make out how the crosslay tray can be lifted up out of the way for access to the top of the pump, as one of the previous posters pointed out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

(Their 20+ year-old Seagrave reserve pumpers spend less time in Shop 2 than the newer KME's.....)

Have to agree but this is what you get with low bid apparatus. They won't last as long as the Pierces or E-Ones on the street in Boston let alone with all the runs they make. It would be like the FDNY buying them, short lived trucks.

I believe that the 33's and 15 Truck are the first due at Fenway Park. Their apparatus is so marked the other companies aren't.

Seen them several times roll up on Yakey way.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Post Kme Quality

There Engines & rescue have gotten much better over the past 5-10 years, can't say much for there Aerials. We have a 2005 Kme engine with no problems, unlike our Seagrave that is always in the shop for repairs!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I believe that the 33's and 15 Truck are the first due at Fenway Park. Their apparatus is so marked the other companies aren't.
    May be some inter-company rivalry, as I believe 37/26 sells T-Shirts as first due at Fenway. And that's Yawkey Way as few can afford enough beers at the ballpark to make it Yacky Way!

Forum Member

ANYTHING 20 years old will spend less time in the shops than this new Junk. INCLUDING my old Gas International CO's which are now protecting an estate in wisconsin. T.C.

Forum Member

Still see a lot of 1995 KME's running around the City of Philadelphia today, they must of held up pretty good to still be in service, even heard they might be ordering some more!!!

Forum Member

I wonder how many miles a truck like that would have on it running calls in Philly for 15 years.

Forum Member

I just got back from visiting Boston and was right down the street from 33/15. From what I saw, 33 is still an E-One and 15 was a Pierce rear mount stick. No KMEs yet.

What I liked the most, besides the great hospitality, was the hosebeds are nice and low. That includes the preconnects. Everything was low enough to grab without having to reach over your head.

The station claims to be first out to Fenway and is one of the older houses in the city. The department's PIO was really helpful in providing directions to several nearby houses from my hotel when I emailed them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Didn't notice any specs on pump or tank size.

FM1
    I can tell you the pump is a Waterous CSUC20, 1500 GPM rating.
    Just a guy...

Lieutenant - Woodbury, MN FD (Retired)
    Road Captain - Red Knights MC, MN4

Disclaimer: The facts and opinions expressed above are mine, and mine alone, and are not intended to represent the views of any company I have ever worked for, past or present.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johngagemn
    I can tell you the pump is a Waterous CSUC20, 1500 GPM rating.
    Good to see you back again.

Now... about that tank size.....

FM1

Truckie

They won't last as long as the Pierces or E-Ones on the street in Boston let alone with all the runs they make.
    Really? What experience do you have in Boston, or anywhere else to substantiate that?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Have to agree but this is what you get with low bid apparatus. They won't last as long as the Pierces or E-Ones on the street in Boston let alone with all the runs they make. It would be like the FDNY buying them, short lived trucks.

Seen them several times roll up on Yakey way.
    Given the quality of the Red Sox bullpen this year, it's probably a damn good thing that the "real" fireman are close at hand.

And by the way ............. Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Given the quality of the Red Sox bullpen this year, it's probably a damn good thing that the "real" fireman are close at hand.

And by the way ............. Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do us a favor... go yell that at any civil war re-enactment in your area!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information