Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default IAFF vs Private Firefighter Associations

Over the recent months I have been talking to more and more firefighters in my area that say that the IAFF is not helping them as they should. They are saying that when calls are made to the IAFF for help with an issue they are being told that "what you have is a "Local" issue" and that it must deal with it at the "Local" level. My question is, what are the monthly per capita dues for, if the IAFF is not helping when called upon?

Are per capita dues just for a sticker for your car?

Other unions (Teamsters, SEIU, FOP, etc) pay monthly per capita dues to the "Big Union" and get negotiators, lawyers, and what ever else they may need when the "Local" calls for assistance.

Is the IAFF fleecing the fire service? A lot of the firefighters in my area are claiming taxation without representation. Could this be true? Are our brothers in Washington taking our money and not helping our brothers when they call?

What do you think???

Default Iaff

As a dues paying member of the I.A.F.F. for over 25 years I can say that any time we had a question...they answered. Sure you might not like their answer but if you are persistent they will send someone out to help. There are those who complain and do nothing and then there are those who do something. If your not happy....Get out. There is nobody hold a gun to your head and forcing you to be a member . We had 450 members of our Fire Department and 7 were non members. It can happen if your not happy.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

If you gave a rough example of the types of issues you're asking for help on, you might get more feedback. The Int'l doesn't help with everything, some things are up to the Local.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default But Why?

If you are paying dues to the International why should anything be a Local isuue? After researching I found that the IAFF is the only union that claims "Local Issue". No other union maintains that practice.

Because the IAFF allows affiliate locals a great deal more autonomy due to the fact that the IAFF is a public sector union. Every Local deals with different states, municipalities and the myriad laws, regulations and standards that cover them. Not to mention political issues at the state, county, municipal, etc. levels. As a fairly small union (300K-ish), the IAFF doesn't have the resources to dive into every issue faced by every local.

If a member is fired for engaging in union activities, they will be there guns blazing. If you want help getting someone elected to the city council, you're on your own.

Like I said, give an example of what you're talking about and maybe someone can shed a bit more light on it.
    Last edited by sfd1992; 07-03-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Thread Information