Forum Member

Lightbulb Electrical & Electronic FAILURES:

Originally Posted by RFDACM02 in The Engineer thread:
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was third party website that received and posted any apparatus issues. This could be a viewable datatbase to forewarn us of issues before they become too widespread. None of the brand X stinks, brand Y is great stuff, just reporting actual malfunctions, as much details and any corrective actions taken. Like the issue we seemed to find with cold weather and our ROM door lights, if we all posted to one central spot, we'd see first hand problem areas. If dealers are working out bugs we have no idea how many times the same issue is corrected nationwide? I'm sure the builders would be highly skeptical, hence the third part site. I'd love to be able to go on and look under Motors>Turbo Issues>Ford>Powerstroke for example.
    At the "sugestion" of RFDACM02 in The Engineer thread: maybe this would be a good thread to start "posting" any and all ELECTRIC and ELECTRONIC FAILURES of all FIRE APPARATUS, that people writting "specs" and maintenance crews would have some idea of just how many actually occur. Many are not reported, unless there is an injury or death resulting from the failure.

The "post" could state the exact device (valve, switch, control) as to name and mfgr. and what (if any) correction was made (replacement, repair), etc., etc.

by RFDACM02: None of the brand X stinks, brand Y is great stuff, just reporting actual malfunctions, as much details and any corrective actions taken.
    I don't know...what do ya think ?
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forum Member

I don't have a problem with it, but....

This should be geared to known issues and problems, or repeat failures. Posting up single failures that happen once or twice in a rigs lifetime shouldn't be allowed. If you have multiple rigs of the same year/build/spec/etc that have a common failure, then post it up. The ROM switches that had problems would have been good to see here.

I like the idea, believe me. But I think a third party unbiased site would work out better.

Us EVT's do have a site that we communicate known problems or issues, and somewhat keep track of others. As well, help those that are unfamiliar with some problems/issues.

Have a look: http://www.evta.info/forums/

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I don't have a problem with it, but....Us EVT's do have a site that we communicate known problems or issues, and somewhat keep track of others. As well, help those that are unfamiliar with some problems/issues.

FM1
    Thanks FM1 for the "link." It is obvious the EVTA forums have most of "it" covered. That's what I deserve for "thinking" again...besides it gives me a headache...

Truckie

I like the idea. I'm not an EVT, but do get tasked to drive OOT once in awhile. This info would be great for me.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

This should be geared to known issues and problems, or repeat failures. Posting up single failures that happen once or twice in a rigs lifetime shouldn't be allowed. If you have multiple rigs of the same year/build/spec/etc that have a common failure, then post it up. The ROM switches that had problems would have been good to see here.
    While I understand your point, many fire apparatus are the only one like it a particular FD has, so a huge amount of issues would go on unreported. Maybe a clearing house, where all the single reports just go to be searched, but area not threads unto themselves. I believe the ROM door switch issue started this way. For example: a reported issue would note the type of problem, any system known to be affected, signs and symptoms reported before the issue and any corrections taken. If it's a single issue it would just go off to never never thread land like many thread topics here.
    I like the idea, believe me. But I think a third party unbiased site would work out better.
    Clearly the third party site would be best, but we do use FH.com to see if people have had similar issues, so a little formalization here would help barring a better current site?

[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

I have to have mixed feelings on whether or not to report one-time or oddball failures. On the one hand, as FM points out, you don't want to clutter up a site with a bunch of once in a lifetime stuff. It makes everything else harder to find.

But on the other hand, if it happens to me only once in a lifetime, but the same thing happens to someone else or several someone elses once in each's lifetime a pattern may begin to evolve. And if someone solves the problem, it may save the rest a bunch of time and effort.

Forum Member

Us EVT's do have a site that we communicate known problems or issues, and somewhat keep track of others. As well, help those that are unfamiliar with some problems/issues.

FM1
    Actually,what MAY seem like an ISOLATED failure to one,might if posted, wind up being a more widespread problem that originally thought. No harm in posting as I see it. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer
    But on the other hand, if it happens to me only once in a lifetime, but the same thing happens to someone else or several someone elses once in each's lifetime a pattern may begin to evolve. And if someone solves the problem, it may save the rest a bunch of time and effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Actually,what MAY seem like an ISOLATED failure to one,might if posted, wind up being a more widespread problem that originally thought. No harm in posting as I see it. T.C.
    I can't disagree with either one of you two. It was on my mind at the time I was posting, and let it go.

It would be nice if the WEB TEAM would open another forum, something like "Apparatus Issues". This would be a good place to start on keeping track of "issues".

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

It would be nice if the WEB TEAM would open another forum, something like "Apparatus Issues". FM1
    Agreed, it should be a multi tiered forum where you can drill down to the specific items you're talking about,

eg., Apparatus Issues,
    -------Mechanical Issues,
    -----------Suspension,
    --------------Steering
    ------------------Ball joint failure on Brand L Heavy Rescue.

I think it should also be heavily moderated for three issues (and maybe more):
    1) Editorials are not allowed, I can just see 2 people complaining about "Brand X" electronics and a Brand Y'er comes in and starts talking trash about "you should have bought a you-know-what."

2) Opinions are not allowed, if this is to be a true reporting system then there is no room for people to come in and say "those are junk anyway," stick to the facts and start another thread if you want to talk opinions.

3) Ambiguity should be censored, we don't need a thread full of "my buddy's pumper has an electrical issue" it should be very specific, eg., "My pumper, a 2003 Brand Z Model Q had the left handed widget A-D converter fail, the truck was last serviced on XX/XX/XXXX by FD personnel (specify trained or not trained as EVT's). Has anyone else experienced this" Responses should be limited to persons with first hand knowledge of the facts.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

I can't disagree with either one of you two. It was on my mind at the time I was posting, and let it go.

It would be nice if the WEB TEAM would open another forum, something like "Apparatus Issues". This would be a good place to start on keeping track of "issues". FM1
    Sounds like a "neon-light" idea. Looks like the ball is in the WEB-TEAM's court.

Forum Member

The website I have created is working it's way towards being all-encompassing for fire apparatus. I initially geared it towards truck committees to find information for new trucks (yes, it's still a work in progress), but I think that the type of forum you guys are looking for would be beneficial for them as well. If you'd like, I can certainly create one. However, I think I would need an EVT (one of you guys) to help moderate if possible.

Just let me know...
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

Something like this I would imagine would work fine.

I agree 100% on the policing/moderating of it. We don't need posts that is coming in with "hear say", or second hand knowledge. You must be privy to the facts, and have first hand knowledge.
    Same with resolutions. Guessing here won't cut it. You must have either experience with the repair, or fixes from the manufacturer/builder. As for diagnostics, that might be a gray area, as to who is doing it, and what it is they are diagnosing.

Knock-knock.... Web Team, are you reading this???

FM1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in.

I agree that this should be an information section only. No cry baby stuff, no running down of any brand, and no trying to sell someone on your favorite.

Forum Member

I think this would be a great idea... however, I think one-off complaints could be helpful as well. If one department mentions it, it could bring others out of the woodwork that are experiencing the same issue, but maybe didn't realize that it was an actual malfunction of some sort.

Maybe have a rule for new threads so that the title will contain the brand and model of the malfunctioning component, and then a very brief description of the problem?
    Last edited by Tim1118; 07-05-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Afterthought...
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

Has any progress been made on this topic? Would those interested like me to set something up, or would you prefer to keep in FH.com?
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1118
    Has any progress been made on this topic? Would those interested like me to set something up, or would you prefer to keep in FH.com?
    I appreciate your offering, I really do. I have 2 sites of my own, and thought about making one, to fill this hole. But as noted by another, it would be best if this could be kept in-house. One less site that one has to click on, or navigate. As well, the majority will spend more time here, than anywhere else.

I am not speaking for the masses, just my opinion.

FM1

Thread Information