+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 First ... 5678
    MembersZone Subscriber

Edited. Ten characters.
    Last edited by Paratrooper; 03-09-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Forum Member

i havnt heard anything yet.. i also check 2 other online forums

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xsheenx View Post
    Congratulations brother. What's the start date? What's the next step for you? What did the letter say? Details dude!!
    Thanks man! It wasnt a letter, it was a phone call from Director Blackwell. He asked me a few questions and than started giving me dates. Orrientation is tomorrow back up at towson where the interviews were held. No "official" start date, however, I have a couple other dates for uniform fittings and than the regular physicall/stress test. Sorry for the late response, been busy with work and getting ready to leave there for the county.

Good luck to everyone else! Be safe
    Last edited by Jeeper1998; 03-04-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Forum Member

Lots of paperwork to do and all that great stuff....we all know how that goes. Class will either start april 16th or 23rd. officially the 99th class. No info on another class start. lots of first time applicants, and people with zero experience in the class.

Just goes to show you, Experience and yada yada dont mean jack.

Forum Member

im just wondering, is there a list they hire from? or do they just chose names from the interviews?

Forum Member

Yes they've hired 30 people, yes your put on a list, and they hope that the list will be held for one to two years. Someone on a different forum said that they didnt hire many with experience.. Best of luck to those of who were hired and maybe there will be another 30 selected. Best of luck to everyone still in the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingNwaiting View Post
    Yes they've hired 30 people, yes your put on a list, and they hope that the list will be held for one to two years. Someone on a different forum said that they didnt hire many with experience.. Best of luck to those of who were hired and maybe there will be another 30 selected. Best of luck to everyone still in the process.
    So was there anything to the rumors that they were looking for certain types of people?

Forum Member

I've wasted too much of my life trying to get into the fire industry, I give up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DHINPA View Post
    I've wasted too much of my life trying to get into the fire industry, I give up.
    I must agree with DHINPA. I take all the classes I can trying to better myself to get hired, and to hear that they want to hire people with less experience really sucks. Half those people with little to no experience are going to get in there and realize they cant take the heat, it doesn't make sense to me to hire with that mindset.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper1998 View Post
    Lots of paperwork to do and all that great stuff....we all know how that goes. Class will either start april 16th or 23rd. officially the 99th class. No info on another class start. lots of first time applicants, and people with zero experience in the class.

Just goes to show you, Experience and yada yada dont mean jack.
    Experience has never meant much in the fire service. It only means something to people on this forum applying for jobs. My dept typical hires 3 to 4 guys with experience if we have a large class (30).

Forum Member

Well then AJ770 what do you suggest to get hired? I have been through 10 hiring processes, made it to the interview every single time, and never been hired. If you can't better your chances by getting experience what can you do? I am working on my college degree right now in night classes, but it is slow going because I still work full time to support myself. What else can I do?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by radams1 View Post
    Well then AJ770 what do you suggest to get hired? I have been through 10 hiring processes, made it to the interview every single time, and never been hired. If you can't better your chances by getting experience what can you do? I am working on my college degree right now in night classes, but it is slow going because I still work full time to support myself. What else can I do?
    I'm talking about having experience from another fire service. Cert's, Emt, Fire science etc etc aren't experience that's education. IMO education is the biggest way to separate yourself in the process. When i sat on the panel it was a huge Green flag when i saw a guy putting himself through EMT/Paramedic school, Completing college courses, having knowledge of the fire service.

Forum Member

Well I should be done with my 2-year degree this year, then continuing on to a bachelors. hopefully sometime soon it will give me an edge.

Forum Member

i disagree... i have the same problem getting hired. i already have a 2 year degree, emt, national fire certs, and score well on tests.. yet nothing. i could use any advice anyone has (thats helpful)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by esilliman View Post
    i disagree... i have the same problem getting hired. i already have a 2 year degree, emt, national fire certs, and score well on tests.. yet nothing. i could use any advice anyone has (thats helpful)
    I tried to stay in contact, ask if there is anyhting i could get to them, set up a second interview after the cookie cutter one...and here i am. just present yourself well. Class starts the 16th of april. i just graduated from the af academy fire school last year! gotta love hose advancments and pulls!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by radams1 View Post
    We're all in the same boat brother. I've taken 32 tests from Maui,hi to Baltimore,md. Associates in fire science. 2 fire academies. 3 years volunteer. 3 years fire explorer.. Not to mention an ambulance job and any other class I can get my hands on.

Am I bummed I'm not hired yet? Absolutely. Do I get frustrated with "one test wonders"? Yes.

But that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop. It's a combo of luck/timing/preparation. Just keep your head up and keep up the fight. It will pay off.

Now then... How do I get off this soap box?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 First ... 5678

Thread Information