MembersZone Subscriber

Angry NASA's new mission

If this isn't Bull Scat.. I don't know what is. Didn't NASA's mission used to be something grander??

Obama’s new mission for NASA: Reach out to Muslim world
    In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation’s space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to “re-inspire children” to study science and math, to “expand our international relationships,” and to “reach out to the Muslim world.” Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is “perhaps foremost,” because it will help Islamic nations “feel good” about their scientific accomplishments.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

What a waste of funding.
    FF/Paramedic

Truckie

Insert string of profanity here:_____________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __!

What a joke.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Banned

What a piece of Bovine Scat. Further proof the man is not qualified for the office. One and done

January 2013 will be the end of an ERROR.....

Forum Member

We are so ****ed as a country. The end of BHO term will NOT come quick enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only "reaching out" NASA should do to the Middle East is by dropping high explosives from orbit.

NASA does not have a foriegn policy mandate. It is not a political tool. It is not their charter. They should be aiming much higher then that. This can't be the same group that landed on the freak'n moon.
    -3dd

Forum Member

As a firefighter who protects many Many MANY Nasa entities in my fire district, I hope to god that I still have a job in a year!!!!

Forum Member

Let's see NASA....National Aeronautic Space Administration. I am trying to unscramble the word jumble there to find the words Foreign Diplomat to the Middle East, I just can't seem to do it.

As for encouraging children to study math and science, I am pretty sure firing off the biggest rockets ever made and shooting off into space would encourage those who are interested to study math and science.

Way to boost the economy by laying off thousands, Mr Dumb A55 in DC.

MembersZone Subscriber

To take these one at a time:

“re-inspire children” to study science and math: Nothing wrong with that. I do think that has been a mandate of NASA for quite a while. From space-camps to competitions for kids, they have long encouraged the study of science and math. I know it is easy to say "build big ***** rockets and kids will want to become rocket scientists", but look at the reality. Rocket launches are not even shown on TV anymore. The NBA/NFL/NHL/PGA get more time on the news than the International Space Station. Kids want to become the next "insert random flavor of the month sports celebrity" instead of the next NASA scientist.

“expand our international relationships,”: Again, personally I don't see anything wrong with this either. Why is everybody acting like NASA will take over the Department of State? Are you guys ignoring the fact that currently we are working on the INTERNATIONAL Space Station? We are working with the Russians, with the ESA, and other areas of the world. Many countries working together on scientific problems will give us better results than working on things alone. We are probably not talking about a NASA mandate to solve the middle east crisis here. My guess would be that this is a mandate to improve the "international relationships" between NASA and other space agencies, and to tackle problems together. Feel free to tell Russia to go to hell and find another way for our guys and the supplies they need to make it to the space station.

“reach out to the Muslim world.”: WTF? Even with my rose colored glasses I can't figure out a way to make this sound reasonable.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post

“re-inspire children” to study science and math: Nothing wrong with that. I do think that has been a mandate of NASA for quite a while. From space-camps to competitions for kids, they have long encouraged the study of science and math. I know it is easy to say "build big ***** rockets and kids will want to become rocket scientists", but look at the reality. Rocket launches are not even shown on TV anymore. The NBA/NFL/NHL/PGA get more time on the news than the International Space Station. Kids want to become the next "insert random flavor of the month sports celebrity" instead of the next NASA scientist.

“expand our international relationships,”: Again, personally I don't see anything wrong with this either. Why is everybody acting like NASA will take over the Department of State? Are you guys ignoring the fact that currently we are working on the INTERNATIONAL Space Station? We are working with the Russians, with the ESA, and other areas of the world. Many countries working together on scientific problems will give us better results than working on things alone. We are probably not talking about a NASA mandate to solve the middle east crisis here. My guess would be that this is a mandate to improve the "international relationships" between NASA and other space agencies, and to tackle problems together. Feel free to tell Russia to go to hell and find another way for our guys and the supplies they need to make it to the space station.

“reach out to the Muslim world.”: WTF? Even with my rose colored glasses I can't figure out a way to make this sound reasonable.
    You are absolutely correct. I generalized way too much. With your comments about sports and TV it made me think back to my younger days. I remember watching the space shuttle with amazement and I still do whenever I can catch something on the Space Channel, when I am allowed to use the remote. It once was on all of the channels.

The last past of your post, I agree 100%.

Back In Black

This has to be a joke...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Banned

Perfect analysis. Most people have no problem with the first two statements. It is that third that boggles the mind. Although not a scientific poll, CNN.COM asked the question: Should NASA reach out to Muslims? 95% replied NO. Now not for nothing, is that being racist? Why not reach out to all peoples. And heck, what about that separation of church and state?

MembersZone Subscriber

“re-inspire children” to study science and math: Nothing wrong with that. I do think that has been a mandate of NASA for quite a while.

“expand our international relationships,”: Again, personally I don't see anything wrong with this either.

I agree that taken separately I don't have a problem with the first two. It's the third one... I haven't been able to find anything that spins this in a way that makes any sense...
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Now not for nothing, is that being racist? Why not reach out to all peoples. And heck, what about that separation of church and state?
    If anything, NASA should reach out to the Scientologists. They may have some "advanced teachings" to share.
    -3dd

Forum Member

What y'all said plus: Does Barack Hussein Obama have the slightest clue what the mission statement is?If we met people of any sort from other planets I could understand a NASA outreach program,but for just one group on THIS planet?What is he thinking?There are more groups than just Muslims,aren't there?What would they contribute to the space program?

Forum Member

Anyone know what kind of knowledge Muslims have in the way of aerial technology? or survivability in extreme conditions?

Maybe there is something we can learn from them? Maybe....?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Anyone know what kind of knowledge Muslims have in the way of aerial technology? or survivability in extreme conditions?

Let's check with the muslims in London.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Many of the societies in that area, the Persians and Sumerians and others, have had periods of great scientific advancement. In most cases those periods were well before Islamic Fundamentalism took hold. Persians-yes. Arabs-Yes. Muslims-not so much.

Either way all of that would fall under task #2 (International cooperation). By spelling it out explicitly as a separate task it becomes a useless feel-good affirmative action program.
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, if mars is anything like the mountains Osama is hiding in...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

1. "Re-inspire children to study science and math." - Fantastic idea that is way overdue. My wife is a middle-school science teacher and would love to teach more about space to her kids.

2. “Expand our international relationships.” - Another good idea, but the current White House occupant seems bent on p*issing off all our long time allies like Britain while he expands our relationships with countries that really don't like us that much.

3. "To reach out to the Muslim world.” - This is the part that throws me. Obama is not saying let's reach out to the governments of the Middle East and elsewhere. Governments that have something to gain from partnering with the U.S. in space endeavours. Obama and Bolden say we should reach out to a particular religion, instead. If that is the new policy, are we going to reach to out to the Catholics, Mennonites, Jews, and the Buddhists, too? While NASA has always been an indirect diplomatic tool of the U.S., it is being sold down the river by the current administration. Ever since Obama has taken office, NASA has been told to solve global warming, fix the brakes on Toyota Prius's and clean up the Gulf Of Mexico, but had the one new manned space program since the Space Shuttle thirty years ago, cancelled. How does that inspire anyone?

Back In Black

We should really be reaching out to the Amish.

Forum Member

Maybe we could send obamma to the moon by next June!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    Maybe we could send obamma to the moon by next June!!
    I get to do the COUNT DOWN!!!!!!

I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

where are the libs in this thread?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    where are the libs in this thread?
    I already said my piece...

Thread Information