Forum Member

Angry Unsupportive Family Vent Thread

This is for all the FF/Medics who need to vent about unsupportive family members.
    I'll start first. I've found a career which I know is right for me. It's taken years to build and rebuild a path to get there. I'm in medic school doing 24/48 shifts with a local FD. It's amazing. I wish my family could understand why I want to do it. Here's some of the supportive comments I've heard
    "You don't need to do all this ride time."
    "You can always run and help them but never us"
    "You're to stupid to be a medic and a firefighter."
    "You'll never make it as a firefighter/medic with your diabetes"
    "You think your job is so impressive but you need to realize you make ****ty pay and your job isn't that important."
    "How can you be tired ? You slept most of the night at the firehouse."
    At first I took it to heart, and spent 6 years avoiding chasing my dream. Finally I realized to follow my own dream. Still, it really sucks hearing this on a daily basis.

Forum Member

You can choose a career, you can't choose your family.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Wow, quite a family you have. My family is extremely supportive of me & my chosen career field. My uncle doesn't disrespect me at all, although he is vocal that the fire service is (in his opinion) a massive waste of the taxpayers money.

Have you tried to explain things to them?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

If this is what brings in the money for the family then stay with it.

Try to explain to them the WHY's if you haven't already done so.

A lot of people have the mindset of firemen being lazy and sitting around play cards or checkers all day.

You need to educate them that this isn't the truth as it was 50 to a 100 years ago.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Back In Black

Take them to Maury.

He'll straighten them out.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Take them to Maury.

He'll straighten them out.
    Only if you need a DNA test to prove that you're related to people who don't understand why you joined the fire service.
    I've only watched a few episodes,has he gotten onto a different topic yet,proving who is and isn't the baby daddy?

Forum Member

If anyone in ANY field works hard enough at their job that their family life suffers,it's a sign of something.Maybe how the people who are chosen to be in that person's life aren't very supportive to begin with.Either that or they are spending way too much time at the "office".
    I and some of the guys on my volunteer department each went through a few girlfriend because we'd spend time at the station to reduce response time or just keeping the place up since the stations weren't manned 24/7.
    You just have to let family come first and if they think you are too stupid,show them wrong.
    It could be worse.When I was injured OTJ(non fire service),my sister who is my "person to contact in case of emergency" decided while I was in the recovery room coming out of the anesthesia that she should handle my affairs and was arranging for stuff that was already being cared for without my permission.I had to threaten a nurse with a HIPPA suit if she acted on my sister's desires.
    Just flow with it and explain youself should they ask you as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by mmillner81 View Post
    This is for all the FF/Medics who need to vent about unsupportive family members.
    I'll start first. I've found a career which I know is right for me. It's taken years to build and rebuild a path to get there. I'm in medic school doing 24/48 shifts with a local FD. It's amazing. I wish my family could understand why I want to do it. Here's some of the supportive comments I've heard
    "You don't need to do all this ride time."
    "You can always run and help them but never us"
    "You're to stupid to be a medic and a firefighter."
    "You think your job is so impressive but you need to realize you make ****ty pay and your job isn't that important."
    "How can you be tired ? You slept most of the night at the firehouse."
    At first I took it to heart, and spent 6 years avoiding chasing my dream. Finally I realized to follow my own dream. Still, it really sucks hearing this on a daily basis.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well...............

I know this is easier to say than do, but just tune them out. It sounds like a bunch of people who all want to micro manage other people's lives...... You are, as best I can determine, an Adult. Make your own Choices and stick to your Guns. I only remember (Long Time Ago) ever having one family member who wasn't supportive of those of us who were "Head over Heels" into the Fire Service. He died, and sadly, several of us were almost late for his Funeral due to a Working Fire........ Oh Well......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    If this is what brings in the money for the family then stay with it.

Try to explain to them the WHY's if you haven't already done so.

A lot of people have the mindset of firemen being lazy and sitting around play cards or checkers all day.

You need to educate them that this isn't the truth as it was 50 to a 100 years ago.
    for real thats what the x-box is for JK

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus8891 View Post
    for real thats what the x-box is for JK
    x-box, what is that?

Back In Black

x-box, what is that?
    It's like a xxx box, but cleaner.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

while they are sleeping take a chainsaw to them

they wont complain no more
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmillner81 View Post
    ALl of the other crap they ar syaing to you is just that "CRAP". They sound like a bunch of narcissistic, selfish, behind wipes. But this statement I quoted gets me and ticks me off.

Yes I am diabetic, yes I have an insulin pump, yes this means even if I wanted to I could not be a career firefighter anymore (but of course I am probably too old now).

When I was younger I didn't take care of myself. I had the invincible attitude so my diabetes got the best of me. The important thing you need to do is take care of yourself. You should know your limits as I know mine. My position on the FD does not allow me to do interior anymore but long ago I did. There were those times when I told my IC before getting on the engine that I just couldn't do it at that moment. I did not want to risk myself but more especially I did not want to risk my brothers.

I guess the only thing I can say is step back, take a good look at your situation and listen to yourself. If you are a "brittle" diabetic (you should know what this means) maybe the firefighting side is not where you should be going but the medic side is easily obtainable.

Forum Member

dad gave me S about joining he said that all I was just going to be was the guy standing on the side of the road with a shovel and a bucket picking up the little bits and pices of Ahole kids that drive to fast

Forum Member

At first my wife wasn't supportive, but since she joined as an administrative person I think she now understands why I became a volunteer.

My dad and my sister, very supportive. Both have seen me do things that they could only dream about.

My mom is not supportive. Her comments and none of which I will repeat here since this thread would quickly deteriorate into a volunteer versus career issue. I don't know exactly what her issue is and trying to get her to talk about it ends up in a round about arguement.

My only suggestion is to talk to your family and tell them that if they can not or will not be supportive, then to keep their negative comments to themselves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    It's like a xxx box, but cleaner.
    OH OK!! Don't want a single x box then!!

Forum Member

Dunno about what your Dad does for a living but don't you hate it when people who have no idea about something that you are training to do trying to tell you "how it is"?
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus8891 View Post
    dad gave me S about joining he said that all I was just going to be was the guy standing on the side of the road with a shovel and a bucket picking up the little bits and pices of Ahole kids that drive to fast

Forum Member

OH OK!! Don't want a single x box then!!
    Me,neither.My vintage Atari 2600 is the sh**!

Banned

Well too things you said:
    ""You don't need to do all this ride time."
    "You can always run and help them but never us""
    Sort of make sense and aren't being un-supportive.

These are people asking you spend more time with them and take care of things around the home. Of course you haven't said who the family was. Is it your wife or significant other? Mother and Father? Extended family? That makes a difference too.

When I was young I used to think that the job was the most important thing in life. As I got older and my mother and father passed away I realized the job was not the most important thing in life, the family is.

Thread Information