Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odds

Forum Member

Default Odds

I just received an email stating that I am eligible to take the written test with a local department, and am pretty excited about that. I do have some concerns, however, because I am not an EMT, I have no FF experience, and my career is totally unrelated to FF. From what I have heard around here, the average time to get on is 3-4 years, and most of those guys have at least their EMT-B. The only thing, in the way of certs, that I have is a Bachelors degree in Public Administration and HAZWOPER training. My question is should I get out of the way because I don't have an EMT-B even though it is not required? I feel like I am taking a slot from someone who has put in work to do their EMT, but I too would like to become a FF. I am in graduate school, but recently was involved in an emergency response experience (witness a motorcycle accident and assisted with victim) which made me realize I want to work in another field. After doing a ride along with the local PD (Vegas) and visiting a fire house, I thought fire would suite me well. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Don't be afraid to give it to me straight either!! Thanks.

Forum Member

so emt is not required??

do they send you to training for emt or is it just not required period??

I would go for it, you never know, especially if you really want to do the job and feel you can do it.

I take it they put you through firefighting school???

Forum Member

ccfd?

go for it, itll at least give you the experience of the testing process. test everywhere you can.

Forum Member

Default Ccfd

Yes this is for the Clark County FD. The EMT cert is not required to apply, but as far as I know it is part of the job. They do put you through a fire academy, and I am sure there is plenty of learning that goes on. I hate to sound ignorant, but I do not know if cadets earn their EMT-B during the academy or not. That is one thing I have been trying to find out. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Forum Member

i found it odd that they didnt required it, you dont find very many of ccfd size that dont require emt before being hired. and im not sure of their process, either. my guess is that theyll give those with emt cert more consideration as they wont have to send them to school/spend money. but like i said, they said your qualified for the written, so go for it and what happens, happens.

so, see you aug 9, ill be there as well and good luck (but not too much)

MembersZone Subscriber

If they don't require it, and you meet all the stated requirements on the job posting, by all means APPLY! A bonehead can pick up every cert out there, but it won't make him a good firefighter. If they don't require a cert to apply (i.e. EMT-B), they will usually provide you the training in the academy (or during your probie year). By the time you graduate the academy, you should have every cert the dept requires to operate at their basic level.

Start researching the written tests. Since certs are not required, it will probably be something that is fire-themed but requires no fire training to pass. (i.e. FF Joe needs to fill his 3,000 gal dump tank and his tankers hold 2000 gal each. What is the minimum number of tankers required to fill his dump tank?)

And don't forget about the oral interview. It is usually on what 100% of your placement on the list is based. Every other section is usually pass/fail.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default test

I have been studying the recommended books for the test since the day after receiving my test verificiation letter. I know that unless I pass the test with a great score I don't have much to worry about, so my focus is on that right now. I have been studying for two hours every night, which is about as much as I studied for the GRE. I know doing well on the test is all that matters right now.

Physically I am fine. I just did an ironman and have been lifting weights and running to maintain my fitness. I also have found recommended exercises to prepare for the CPAT, which I do after studying each night.

If I am lucky enough to get the interview, I am sure I will have a few questions for you guys then. I appreciate the advice and support.

Legos, good luck to you as well!

Forum Member

Being a local in Las Vegas I can tell you that you do not need your EMT-B to apply for the Clark County job but it is required to have your EMT-B by the time of the academy so it would be a good idea to at least get that under your belt. Also I know for at least the last 3 groups that went through everyone had at least their EMT-I. Clark County also requires that half of the academy have their Paramedic, so really the more the better when it comes to EMS and Clark County.

Thread Information