Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question i need some help on a question!!!!!

I am going to explain this as best as i can. My boyfriend and I are members of a volunteer fire company, he is also an officer in the fire company, resently he got in trouble with just summary offences outside of the fire company on his own time and the fire company had a board of directer's meeting this past week and they took his equipment,gave him two months suspention,six months probation and he cant be an officer again in the fire company. We have been told to look at the by laws for the fire company to see if they can do this to him, They CANT by the by laws, but is there any other way to go about this? Can you help me? we are from Pennsylvania , Wysox !
    Last edited by misty sweat; 07-09-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Forum Member

If there is nothing in the bylaws hire an attorney. What is the summary offense?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't come on an international forum and ask about the specifics of your local situation. No one here knows what your bylaws say, or what he did to violate them. Every fire department does not operate under the same bylaws.

But by all means, hire an attorney and fight his suspension from a volunteer position....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Yea, I think there is more to the story. A LOT MORE.

That's why it's pretty silly to come here with it.

My advice is to grow up.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

These are volunteers, the department can do what ever and they either can accept it or just get mad. They can't sue them they took his gear away and I guess banned him. No judge is going to hear this.

My suggestion move elsewhere so you can join another bfd. But grow up and stop acting crazy and getting into trouble.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Agreed that there is little he can do. However, remember that you are a representative of your dept 24 hours a day. Many people recognize those blue lights and minitor pagers and associate you as a representative of the dept.

A volunteer is usually voted in as a member and can usually be voted out as a member.

Most departments have a policy against members doing anything that negatively reflects on the department.

One of their members in legal trouble qualifies.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Yea, I think there is more to the story. A LOT MORE.

That's why it's pretty silly to come here with it.

My advice is to grow up.
    Yeah, that's kinda where I was going....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by misty sweat View Post
    I am going to explain this as best as i can. My boyfriend and I are members of a volunteer fire company, he is also an officer in the fire company, resently he got in trouble with just summary offences outside of the fire company on his own time and the fire company had a board of directer's meeting this past week and they took his equipment,gave him two months suspention,six months probation and he cant be an officer again in the fire company. We have been told to look at the by laws for the fire company to see if they can do this to him, They CANT by the by laws, but is there any other way to go about this? Can you help me?
    You don't say where you are; in diffferent places a summary offense can range from jaywalking to public intoxication to retail theft to minimal marijuana posession. Since the punishment is extreme for jaywalking, and you're not giving the full story, I'll assume the worst. In that case I think he got off easy.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

"just summary offenses"....

There are two sides to every story... sometimes three or four...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    "just summary offenses"....

There are two sides to every story... sometimes three or four...
    You can really hear the crickets chirping!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Here is the way I see it. I expect my Officers to be on their best behavior all of the time. I don't care if it is on my time or theirs... they still represent the Department and every person in the department.

An Officer that gets a DUI not only causes harm to himself, but also to what we represent as a whole. The bad press is very hard to overcome and usually requires harsh measures.

An Officer who gets into trouble, as in what you suggest, apparently got the attention of the Department leadership. If someone does something that gets my attention, I only add to their problem. I didn't cause the issue, but it is my responsibility to uphold the integrity and public image of what we are.

Even the rats don't survive a sinking ship.

Sorry this is not what you want to hear. But life is real, and its not fair.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Thread Information