Forum Member

Default Informal meet and greet

Hey everyone!

I was just invited to an informal meet and greet by letter, sent certified mail, and signed by the Battalion Chief. It is an opportunity for the few of us who were given conditional offers to meet the other candidates, speak with current Academy Recruits, training officers, and staff. I am wondering what the dress code for something like this might be... It does say informal, but does this mean t-shirt and jeans or what? I still have a psych, and medical exam to complete for this department (which is a week after the meet and greet) so I don't want to be too informal.

Any help is appreciated!

Forum Member

An Informal meet and greet doesn't necessarily mean what you should wear. Unless you can get a direct answer for what to wear, "dress for success" by wearing a suit.

On the outside you could wear a sports coat with a tie and if it really was a dress down event slip off the tie and possibly the jacket. You don't want to show up dressed down and everyone else was looking like they were from GQ.

"You don't get a second chance to make a first impression."

BTW, what are you doing to prepare for your psych evaluation?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post

BTW, what are you doing to prepare for your psych evaluation?
    I have read several of your posts concerning the psych. I have got in touch with previous recruits, and asked for advice from other firefighters. I plan on being concise with my answers during the interview (not offering any more information than what was asked). Additionally, during the computer test (where the computer identifies my profile) I will keep in mind the importance of portraying my team-oriented lifestyle, optimism and social inclination.

MembersZone Subscriber

First, congratulations on getting the conditional offer!

Dress in a suit. Ideally, the pants will be such a color that if it really is informal dress, you can trade the jacket, shirt and tie for a polo quickly and easily. Remember, even though you have the conditional offer, you haven't been hired yet and when you are, you are probationary usually for at least a year. Unless otherwise instructed, until you graduate from the academy I would wear either a uniform (Class Bs, PTs, etc.) as prescribed or a suit at any work event. You don't ever want to give the impression that you already think you're one of the guys or that you didn't even have the decency to dress up for the training officers and staff. Remember that it doesn't matter what you intended, but what others *might* perceive. Don't give them the opportunity to get the wrong idea.

Also, start jotting down some questions you have on some index cards. Separate the questions based on who can best answer them (i.e. does this need to be asked of the staff, or can a current recruit answer it?). They'll probably give you a period to ask questions, thus you'll be prepared and look good!

Have fun!

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely wear a suit and tie. Make sure your vehicle is washed and that you arrive early. It's important that you are being graded on EVERYTHING. Be respectful and professional. Think twice before you say anything. It's better to be thought of as quiet than as a know it all....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Always look your best in any setting.

Hope you get a job!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Dress

Congratulations......I will mirror what has already been said. You should wear a suit and tie and as Division Chief Lepore has stated get there early and in a clean vehicle. I have seen candidates marked down for not doing the aforementioned requests. I 'm sure that you will do fine and enjoy the ride and remember "You never get a second chance at a first impression" as I always say to those who I proctor.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

There are reasons agencies host “Informal Meet and Greets” before they offer a conditional job offer. They want to see how you’re going to fit into their culture and interact before they stick you in a fire station.

As some of the heavies above have pointed out the meet and greet is like a station visit or ride long on steroids. No matter what, remember this is another part of the interview hiring process where you’re going to be auditioning to play the part of a “Snott Nose” rookie.

You’re not there to impress anyone. You have not time, rank or opinion on anything. We had a candidate show up one day for a ride along who had been one of our fire explorers. I guess he felt too comfortable because he had an opinion on everything i.e. movies, sports, politics, etc. He was the first one up to serve his plate and go for seconds. His mother would have died. When I told him later the lands mines he had stepped on his was humiliated.

Some agencies will invite you to bring your significant (dysfunctional) other? If so, they will be watching your manners.

Leave any electronic leases in your vehicle.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to thank you all for your input, direction, words of encouragement and help. I received the much anticipated call yesterday. My Academy starts 9.7.10!

Thanks to all, again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations!
    Now stay out of trouble between now and then and don't overly celebrate!

"This is where the fun begins." - H Solo

Forum Member

Welcome to the fire service. I've e-mailed you some new rookie tips.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information