Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default Why was the "Boston" thread closed?

    Webteam ...

    Why was the "Boston" thread closed.

    Discussing alcohol in the firehouse is a valid topic with differing points of view. Unlike some, there are those who feel that it still has a place under controls and limits, and does not pose the dangers that some seem to think it does.

    It is a valid discussion.


  2. #2
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Webteam ...

    Why was the "Boston" thread closed.

    Discussing alcohol in the firehouse is a valid topic with differing points of view. Unlike some, there are those who feel that it still has a place under controls and limits, and does not pose the dangers that some seem to think it does.

    It is a valid discussion.


    Didn't you read the reason. It got off topic, Plus it wasn't going anywhere but down.




    "All,

    This thread has gone off-topic from the original topic and therefore is being closed.

    Firehouse Web Manager"
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  3. #3
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Didn't you read the reason. It got off topic, Plus it wasn't going anywhere but down.
    Unfortunately, I think this one was overmoderated. While technically wandering from the letter of the original topic, it was still on-track with the underlying spirit: Public perception of the fire service and what we do within the firehouse when we're not doing explicitly firefighting activities.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  4. #4
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Unfortunately, I think this one was overmoderated. While technically wandering from the letter of the original topic, it was still on-track with the underlying spirit: Public perception of the fire service and what we do within the firehouse when we're not doing explicitly firefighting activities.
    This may be correct but if you read the whole thread it was drifting far into left field and getting into a debating match.

    The FH Manager made the call, we have to abide by that.

    I still say NO adults beverages in the fire house or its property.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    It appears the WT doesn't think a discussion of Ethics in the fire service is warranted. .

    My guess is that someone got up on the wrong side of bed and it is MONDAY!!!!!. Note to WT, just like most occupation, you do your worst work on Mondays and Fridays.

  6. #6
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    This may be correct but if you read the whole thread it was drifting far into left field and getting into a debating match.
    I thought that it was pretty far afield... washing cars in a career firehouse to having beer in a volunteer house.

    Ya, no relation there.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I thought that it was pretty far afield... washing cars in a career firehouse to having beer in a volunteer house.

    Ya, no relation there.
    Very similar in fact. It is about public Relations, Public Perception, and Ethical Behavior.

  8. #8
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Very similar in fact. It is about public Relations, Public Perception, and Ethical Behavior.
    You'll argue over just about anything, won't you.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  9. #9
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Yes, fire the career bum that washed his car, with permission, in the fire house!!! Off with his head!!!!!
    But hey, alcohol is fine in our wacker station, it builds comradeship, moral, team work. How dare you judge us!!
    Yeah, give me a break.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Yes, fire the career bum that washed his car, with permission, in the fire house!!! Off with his head!!!!!
    But hey, alcohol is fine in our wacker station, it builds comradeship, moral, team work. How dare you judge us!!
    Yeah, give me a break.
    No matter how hard you try you just can't fix stupid! But be careful, if you make him mad while he is "tanked" at the station, he'll hit you with his crowbar.
    Stay Safe
    Bull


    “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Westboro Baptist Church To Picket Firefighters Memorial Service
    By dave johnson in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 339
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM
  2. Idea For Firefighting Video Game for PS2, PS3, XBOX360
    By Explorer343 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 09:53 AM
  3. thread closure
    By littlemissemt in forum Firehouse.Com Site Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2002, 02:11 PM
  4. When to close a thread!?!?
    By gfdtrk4 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-26-2002, 11:18 AM
  5. The LHS* thread - Part Deaux
    By mongofire_99 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2001, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts