Forum Member

Default New Hurst battery line

Seams after a few years of a little electric over hydraulic combi tool the LKE 55 Hurst has introduced a battery operated Spreader Cutter and Ram system. Called the EDRAULIC line. Looks like the future of HRT's is here, a 20 min run time, no hoses a power cable for extended run times. While it may not replace the tried and true power unit, hose, and tool system it might become the first tool off the rig of the future and eliminate mulitple hose reels and power units. I havent seen these tools yet I hope to in Baltimore at the expo. This is a long way from the old 2 stroke power unit and 32A spreader I first used so many years ago on my first rescue. To me this looks like a great new line of tools to add to of bag of tricks while no one system or tool is perfect this one seams like the next step in HRT's

http://jawsoflife.com/Products/Defau...ProductId=2340

Forum Member

Thanks but no thanks. Don't have much luck with battery powered tools. T.C.
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-30-2010 at 10:01 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Don't have much luck with battery powered tools.
    That's what she said.

Not sure how I feel about battery-powered jaws. Last time I played with one it just didn't have the UMPH after a few minutes. That was a few years ago though. Maybe there have been some advancements?
    Assuming good battery life and strength it may be worth investigating. Anything to make the tools lighter without sacrificing force is worthwhile. I'd definitely want the ability to quickly swap from battery to shore/apparatus power.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Fire Captain, LVRS

I have 2 schools of thought on these new tools.

First off, my company, which operates a heavy rescue, and and a rescue engine, has one each of the LKE-55 battery powered cutter/spreader combitool on our rigs.

I like them for the capability to be used in a pinch as a back up tool, for RRIT responsibilities, and remote access in a place where the truck can't get within 200 feet.

Second, I don't like them because we have had batteries die rapidly (10 cuts) and also have dropped one cracking the PLASTIC CASING and it put the tool OOS for a bit waiting on a new case to come in...

Forum Member

On a true battery tool I still like the Power Hawk tool. Battery will cut between two and three cars, no problem. Complete battery system, numerous ways to ensure battery supply if needed, multitude of options in regards to Milwaukee 18V. From what I read on their site they donated several tools for the WTC in 2001. I have used it and it does work.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Back In Black

Yea, we had a powerchicken for a while... nice little tool.

In regards to this tool? Can't hurt to have it for some secondary work, but nothing beats real hydraulics.
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-30-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Saw these at the Expo this week. While I didn't get to rip a car apart, I did get to hold and operate them. They had a good balance, easy to use star controler. The tools operated smoothly and quickly without a load. Noise was not a issue just a whine. My general impression is that they are the future of the HRT with enough power to be a viable system. While not surplanting the Gas,electric,pto powered systems these are going to be the first off tool or a tool to be carried any vehicle cheif's, engine,ambulance, rapid attack, USAR. I like that idea of eliminateing hoses, how many times have we tripped over snagged, or cut a hydraulic hose. Like the battery sawzall these need to past the test of time and use to gain acceptance.

Forum Member

What Ken said. while the Powerchicken is MARGINALLY effective on vehicles up to the early 2000's,It doesn't like HSLA or Boron very well. And certainly NO comparison to any of the well known HRT's. I've used it,it has a few uses. But,for ME,would NOT be my primary tool of choice. T.C.
    Last edited by rmoore; 10-30-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Forum Member

Don't think they market it for a primary tool from what I have seen, been a few years though.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Default Demo of new edraulics line

We are starting an evaluation of hydraulic tools and were able to demo the new tool line from Hurst, I can say we were pleasantly surprised. These tools are not of the powerhawk or holmatro vintage, they are full 10500 units that did not balk at anything we tried to cut or spread with them. My eval team did have a concern with the ABS plastic housing around the handle and case area but all in all we were very impressed with its capabilities. We also cut with the hosed 10500 units of the same tools, they seemed fast to open/close did not put a timer on them but it was the prevailing discusson that the hosed tools were faster. These units may be out of our price range but to think that you could step off the rig, do your sizeup, grab a tool push a button and cut or spread to extricate the patient even on the newre steels would be a time saver. The large cutter 700 has 2010 NFPA 1936 ratings of A8B9C9d8e. We are not sure which tools we will go with but it was an education in the new technologies that are arriving.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

We have a few Power Hawks floating around. They used to ride on the rescues as primary tools. After a few bad accidents where another truck with HRTs was needed in ADDITION to the Power Hawk, the department bought Hurst sets for the rescues and put the Power Hawks on some of the engines.

In my limited expirience with them, they are good for small work. Any real cutting and spreading will take a set of HRTs.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information