Forum Member

Default Steps To become volunteer FF/EMT

First I would like to thank everyone in advance for there help and advice. I am currently 17 years old and I go to boarding school. Since I am away at boarding school I do not have the chance to actively serve in a volunteer department. One of my fellow classmates who graduated this past year was a certified EMT-B while attending school. My question is what course of action should I take to get ready to be a volunteer FF/EMT? In your opinion do you think I would be able to be a explorer during the summer next summer and then be able to leave for school in the fall? I hope to take the EMT basic course next summer.

Thanks for the help

Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't say what part of the country you live in, so that makes a difference. Your main concern appears to be that you will be away from the department at school. We place members on administrative leave while they are away a college, so I would think that the same thing could happen for a boarding school. The hard part would be fitting the required training in during the summer break.

Forum Member

I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. I would hope to be able to volunteer in either Mint Hill or Matthews.

I know some departments require all of their members to live in there district. Is the requirement just dependent on each fire department or a state law?

Thanks
    Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mep42 View Post
    I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. I would hope to be able to volunteer in either Mint Hill or Matthews.

I know some departments require all of their members to live in there district. Is the requirement just dependent on each fire department or a state law?

Thanks
    Mark
    Requirements for living in the district are a local thing. Every place is different.

Forum Member

I live in North Carolina and have looked at both fire departments and many in Mecklenburg County. What would probably be the best for you is to join maybe Idlewild FD, Newell or Providence and wait until you are done with boarding school to look at Mint Hill or Matthews. In North Carolina you have to have 36 hours a year to be able to be on the state roster and be on the Fire Department and another 24 hours if you are an EMT-Basic. I am not on any Fire Department in Mecklenburg County so im not 100% how everything works but this is what i would do. Best thing is to visit Idlewild, Newell, Providence, Mint Hill and Matthews FDs websites and E-Mail them for more info.
    Basically, Its all about breaking glass and kickin' *****

Forum Member

Is there a resource where I can find more information about the laws regarding volunteers in NC?

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by The48Man View Post
    I live in North Carolina and have looked at both fire departments and many in Mecklenburg County. What would probably be the best for you is to join maybe Idlewild FD, Newell or Providence and wait until you are done with boarding school to look at Mint Hill or Matthews. In North Carolina you have to have 36 hours a year to be able to be on the state roster and be on the Fire Department and another 24 hours if you are an EMT-Basic. I am not on any Fire Department in Mecklenburg County so im not 100% how everything works but this is what i would do. Best thing is to visit Idlewild, Newell, Providence, Mint Hill and Matthews FDs websites and E-Mail them for more info.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Is there a resource where I can find more information about the laws regarding volunteers in NC?

Thanks
    Mark
    Have you stopped and talked to the members of the stations your interested in?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I haven't yet, that is something that I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Have you stopped and talked to the members of the stations your interested in?

Forum Member

We love our Junior FF's. We depend on them. Just call the city clerk of the town your interested and find out who the officers are and contact them. Ask how and what it takes to become a volunteer for them.

Remember, they can't eat you so ask away.

Forum Member

Thanks
    Mark
    There is no great website that tells you all the NC Firefighter laws. You could go to the Office of State Fire Marshals website and then Fire Rescue Commission and kinda look around for answer. If there is any law you need help with i might be able to help you.
    Basically, Its all about breaking glass and kickin' *****

Forum Member

Thanks
    Mark

Look here -->> http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/

They have a toll free telephone number, call them to get the answers.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Mark

Forum Member

First I would like to thank everyone in advance for there help and advice. I am currently 17 years old and I go to boarding schools for girls. Since I am away at boarding school I do not have the chance to actively serve in a volunteer department. One of my fellow classmates who graduated this past year was a certified EMT-B while attending school. My question is what course of action should I take to get ready to be a volunteer FF/EMT? In your opinion do you think I would be able to be a explorer during the summer next summer and then be able to leave for school in the fall? I hope to take the EMT basic course next summer.

Thanks for the help

Mark
    When I became a volunteer FF / EMT, I had every intention of going career. As of now you need to get involved in a post-bacc, whether it be formal or informal.
    Last edited by armandjoe; 04-22-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Thread Information