Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Shawshank

Question Pro Board vs. IFSAC ????

Is a Pro Board Cert the same as an IFSAC seal? This Pro Board term is new to me. It seems many departments don't care if you have either. The common answer I have heard lately is: "Welcome to the academy!" (again)
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications

Accreditation: The NBFSPQ accredits fire service training agencies that use the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA's) professional qualification standards. The accreditation process begins with the submission of an application, including a detailed self study document, by the organization seeking accreditation. The application package is then reviewed by the members of the Committee on Accreditation for completeness and compliance with the by-laws of the NBFSPQ. The next step is a site visit by a team of COA members, usually two, who perform an extensive on-site review of the organization's testing and certification processes. The site visit team prepares a report and presents it to the COA. The COA decides if accreditation is granted.

Certification: An agency, that is accredited by NBFSPQ, makes national certification available to its members. Members are then eligible to be placed on the NBFSPQ national register and receive a Certificate of National Certification. In addition, the NBFSPQ encourages reciprocity among certifying agencies. This helps assure that NBFSPQ certification will be recognized by the department as the members seek advancement, and by other departments should they seek to transfer within the fire service. The cost of national registration including an NPQS Certificate is $15.

IFSAC ORGANIZATION AND GOVERNING STRUCTURE

To fully appreciate the accreditation and site visit team issues; the site team member should have a thorough understanding of the IFSAC organization and governing structures. The following is a brief description of the makeup of IFSAC. For more detailed information, please refer to the by-laws and Constitution articles in the IFSAC Certificate Assembly Handbook located on the IFSAC site.

IFSAC is a part of the College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology (CEAT). Also within CEAT are the School of Fire Protection and Safety Engineering Technology, the International Fire Service Training Association/Fire Protection Publications (IFSTA/FPP) and Fire Service Training (FST). IFSTA/FPP consists of the training materials validation process, publishing, and dissemination of IFSTA training manuals. FST is the fire service training organization within the state of Oklahoma. The International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) is a peer-driven, self-governing system that accredits both fire service certification programs and higher education fire-related degree programs
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Shawshank

Ok. Well I guess my next question is: Does the Pro Board Cert out way the IFSAC Cert? If so, is it possible to aquire or test out for a Pro Board Cert with my current IFSAC certs?

Forum Member

It all depends on the state you are wanting to apply to bro,

Some states will except your education as long as you meet their requirements for the said certification level. Florida for example... they require you to prove you have 300 hours of education and take thier test... where as others will just hand you a cert.

I wouldnt say one is better than the other... It just depends on where you are wanting to work or move...

These are the Pro Board States and Providences.

•Alabama
    •Alberta
    •Arkansas
    •Connecticut
    •Delaware
    •Florida
    •Georgia
    •Kansas
    •Maryland
    •Massachusetts
    •Michigan
    •Montana
    •Nebraska
    •New Hampshire
    •New York
    •Nova Scotia
    •Pennsylvania
    •Rhode Island
    •Utah
    •Virginia
    •West Virginia
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Ok. Well I guess my next question is: Does the Pro Board Cert out way the IFSAC Cert? If so, is it possible to aquire or test out for a Pro Board Cert with my current IFSAC certs?
    To a large extent, the Pro Board and IFSAC. Which one is more important is more a question of what you're looking for and who you send your $15 to.

The Pro Board (1972) is older and, to some extent, better established. IFSAC (1990) was formed (among a fair amount of controversy) as an alternative for volunteers on the premise that standards should be "different" from those for career firefighters. At this point they appear to just be competing agencies collecting $15 per shingle for the same service.

Some training agencies are both Pro Board and IFSAC accredited so for $15 each you can buy both certificates. Unless you have a specific need for one or the other, they really don't add any value to the certificate you get coming out of the training agency you attended.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Shawshank

Gotcha guys Thanks. I recieved all my IFSAC certs from Onondaga Community College here in Syracuse in 2007. I heard just this week they will no longer be offering the NFPA 1001 program. I believe this was the only IFSAC Certified school in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Gotcha guys Thanks. I recieved all my IFSAC certs from Onondaga Community College here in Syracuse in 2007. I heard just this week they will no longer be offering the NFPA 1001 program. I believe this was the only IFSAC Certified school in the state.
    FWIW, both IFSAC and the Pro Board have websites listing their accredited affiliates. IFSAC lists "PUBLIC SAFETY TRAINING CENTER - ONONDAGA COMMUNITY COLLEGE" and the Pro Board lists "New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control" as accredited agencies. If your Onondaga CC certification is endorsed by the NYSOFP, you should be able to register national certs with both agencies if you so desire and have $30 to spend.

Forum Member

would someone mind posting a link to the information of sending in that $15 for getting the certificate national? Where do we do that at? I would like to look at my IFSAC certs and see what can be done there.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    would someone mind posting a link to the information of sending in that $15 for getting the certificate national? Where do we do that at? I would like to look at my IFSAC certs and see what can be done there.
    Google is your friend.

ifsac.org

Thread Information