Thread: Need help

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need help

Well i am currently enrolled in the fire science program and only need to take my emt b class and ill be done... but lately i've been just thinking about if ill get hired, because i am deaf in one ear... so my question to all of you is there even a chance of me getting hired because i am deaf in one ear.? THX

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Still looking for help

I am still in need of help....

Forum Member

Call local departments and ask for the HR department and find out any restrictions...

NFPA, 1582, 2007 Edition
    Vision and Hearing Requirements

6.4 Eyes and Vision

6.4.1 Category A medical conditions shall include the following:

(1) Far visual acuity less than 20/40 binocular, corrected with contact lenses or spectacles, or far visual acuity less than 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard contacts or spectacles, uncorrected
    (2) Color perception – monochromatic vision resulting in inability to use imaging devices such as thermal imaging cameras
    (3) Monocular vision
    (4) Any eye condition that results in the candidate not being able to safely perform one of more of the essential job tasks

6.4.2 Category B medical conditions shall include the following:

(1) Diseases of the eye such as retinal detachment, progressive retinopathy. Or optic neuritis
    (2) Ophthalmological procedures such as radical keratotomy, Lasik procedure, or repair of retinal detachment
    (3) Peripheral vision in the horizontal meridian of less than 110 degrees in the better eye or any condition that significantly affects peripheral vision in both eyes

6.5 Ears and Hearing.

6.5.1 Category A medical conditions shall include the following:

(1) Chronic vertigo or impaired balance as demonstrated by the inability to tandem gait walk
    (2) On audiometric testing, average hearing loss in the unaided better ear greater than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 HZ, and 3000 Hz when the audiometric device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5, Audiometric Device Testing
    (3) Any ear condition (or hearing impairment) that results in the candidate not being able to safely perform one or more of the essential job tasks

6.5.2 Category B medical conditions shall include the following:

(1) Unequal hearing loss
    (2) Average uncorrected hearing deficit at the test frequencies Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 HZ, and 3000 Hz greater than 40 dB in either ear
    (3) Atresia, stenosis, or tumor of the auditory canal
    (4) External otitis
    (5) Agenesis or traumatic deformity of the auricle
    (6) Mastoiditis or surgical deformity of the mastoid
    (7) Ménière’s syndrome, labyrinthitis, or tinnitus
    (8) Otitis media

It doesnt really specify... search google... it seems like there are a few brothers out there who are deaf in one ear. I would think as long as you can pass some sort of hearing test and perform the basic job functions you should be alright....

Hope I helped...

Best wishes bro..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plpride69 View Post
    Well i am currently enrolled in the fire science program and only need to take my emt b class and ill be done... but lately i've been just thinking about if ill get hired, because i am deaf in one ear... so my question to all of you is there even a chance of me getting hired because i am deaf in one ear.? THX
    Great response BW21!!! If you look at some of the threads regarding the same issue on the web site, I think you'll find that a number of brothers like yourself are in the same boat. Try BW21's suggestion and make some phone calls. Many of the larger municipal departments may look at your condition with "some" concern depending on how deaf you are in that ear. BUT, on the other hand, many small municipal departments or combination departments (volunteer/paid), may see this situation differently and may allow, say a hearing aid, and hire you with no problem! But do not give up before you've actually started "pride69". I believe there's a department out there for you, BUT first, you have to believe in yourself!! So do your research and quit the pity parties, finish EMT-B and keep it movin'!!!

"The Axeman"

MembersZone Subscriber

hey thx for the help guys... im going to try my hardest and get on a dapartment.... thx again

Forum Member

You might go to the local fire department and ask them about their medical requirements. Explain your situation and see if they would pass you if you were an entry level candidate. Best of luck to you....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default still wondering

does anyone have the same problem as i do and on a fire dept?

Forum Member

pl-

There are a number of firefighters on my department that suffer from hearing loss. All or most got it secondary to employment, but these guys are wearing hearing aids and don't have any issues.

Best of Luck,

Paul C.

Forum Member

Isn't it the states who establish the preliminary requirements? Google the state's requirements for the position you're interested in being hired for. I don't know what state you are in, to look it up myself, out of curiousity.

Thread Information