Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Red face That Dam Beaver Again

It's Canada's national symbol, but Red Deer beaver puts fear in pet owners. Warning issued as team attempts to find beaver

By Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald July 15, 2010 Comments (102)

An aggressive beaver in a Red Deer off-leash park is believed to be responsible for at least two serious attacks on dogs, including one that led to the death of a husky.

Several other reported beaver attacks at Red Deer's Three Mile Bend off-leash park have not been confirmed, city officials say.

But an investigation has been launched to find the bucktoothed rodent believed responsible for the violent behaviour.

"It's a very, very odd situation," said Trevor Poth, Red Deer parks superintendent.

The central Alberta city has rarely had to deal with problem beavers, despite a large population of the rodents in Red Deer, he said.

A team is being called in to locate the beaver and determine whether to remove it and its family from the park.

"Right now we're a little unclear, whether it's one or more. Beaver identification is pretty challenging," Poth said.

"For us, this definitely was a first. It came as a bit of a surprise for us, and we're taking it really seriously," he said.

"We want people to feel safe in the park."

The city first learned of the beaver problem Monday from Alberta Animal Services, the agency contracted to enforce bylaw issues in Red Deer.

The agency had received reports that a husky died from a wound sustained in a beaver attack, said Don Elliot, a supervisor with the agency. Another dog was also injured in a separate incident with a beaver in the popular off -leash park, he said. Three further calls came in reporting attacks, though they haven't been substantiated.

Red Deer resident Heather Markiw regularly takes her 10-month-old German shepherd-cross dogs to exercise in the park.

Last Thursday, one of Markiw's pets, Sierra, had a run-in with a beaver that left the dog bleeding and injured.

Sierra needed more than 10 stitches on her underside and now needs a tube to urinate. Markiw reported the incident because she didn't want other dogs to fall prey to the beaver.

"I want to make dog owners aware that there is a beaver who's been quite aggressive lately," she said.

Red Deer has a relatively robust beaver population that currently includes about 30 beaver lodges along its river system, according to Poth.

For the most part, people and wildlife have been able to co-exist peacefully in the park. Poth said this is the time of year when baby beavers (or kits) are starting to emerge from their lodges.

If a parent beaver believes its young is under attack, it could go on the offensive. That is likely what has happened when dogs swim near the beaver lodges in the park, said Poth.

The city issued an advisory warning people to be cautious in the area.

Meanwhile, a conservation biologist is scheduled to examine the site of the attacks and meet with Alberta Animal Services to decide how to deal with the aggressive rodent.

The park will be closed down at night to allow the work to occur, Poth said.

The beaver and its family are likely to be removed from the area, though it's possible that traps will be used.

"Based on the condition and location of the lodge, age of family, we will make the assessment with the conservation biologist."

Markiw said she doesn't want the beaver to be harmed or its lodge removed from the park.

But doesn't want other pets to go through the same experience as Sierra.

"I just don't want other dogs owners to have to go through what we're going through with our dog," she said.

jkomarnicki@theherald.canwest. com
    ==
    Beaver Facts

Measures: About 1.3 metres long, from nose to tail, weighs 16 to 32 kg

Description: Forepaws are small, with long, sharp claws suited to digging. Paws are very dexterous -- almost like human hands. Teeth are exceptionally long and sharp. Due to constant grinding, incisors are chisel-sharp and able to chew through very large trees. One beaver cuts down an average of 216 trees a year.

Defences: Under attack, beavers stand their ground and protect themselves. They face the aggressor, rear up on their hind legs, and loudly hiss or growl before lunging forward to deliver extremely damaging bites.

Lifespan: Up to 12 years.

Source: Hinterland Who's Who

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/technol...#ixzz0twxUcqru

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    "Right now we're a little unclear, whether it's one or more. Beaver identification is pretty challenging," Poth said.
    So you're saying the beavers have formed a gang?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Beavers

Seems to me that a simple solution would be to put up a barrier (nice stone wall 3' high or so, small fence) that's easy on the eyes and discourage folks from allowing their dogs in that area. If the owners aren't able to control their pup(s) then seems like common sense that they shouldn't be at an off leash park in the 1st place.

Another option would be to put a couple of Patterdale Terriers in the area. The beavers will learn to respect pup real quick.....

How bout sending Cesar Milan up there.....? Maybe he can talk/whisper both parties into being good..... LOL.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Listen, the Beaver have been getting an 'attitude' lately.

That may sound funny, but I had been spending a lot of time on a major river and can testify to their recent belligerence. I even felt compelled to take drastic defense measures.

And they did even resemble a gang at times. Grouping together on a neighboring dike as the morning developed and being very noisy. Obviously upset at my being close by. They kept my attention versus on my rigs as I should have been.

There are many river animals getting attitudes, but the beaver seemed especially so. So I do understand a Red Deer Beaver being suspect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Do you actually do a search for every posting you find funny? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Listen, the Beaver have been getting an 'attitude' lately.
    Maybe Aunt Flo is in town?
    -3dd

Do you actually do a search for every posting you find funny? LOL
    Sure, what else will I do with my time?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

]
    "I couldn't tell you what he looked like,officer.They all look alike to me."

Forum Member

Depending on the area,they could open season on the beavers.But,since you might not want .22s going off in an urban area,they could hold a lottery drawing for people with trapping licenses and restrict the area to off leash pets for the duration.
    It would save money.Instead of paying out tax dollars for a wildlife expert to remove a few beavers,they could have interested parties pay to solve the problem.
    I am told that beaver(the wood gnawing kind,ya preverts) tastes like pork and any good piggy recipe works well with the meat.Waste nothing.
    Where I work on the Mississippi River here at Memphis,we have a dock barge that is home to literally 12 angry beavers(we counted them).It is a rite of passage to new hires to send them into the wingtanks on that dock to "fix the leak" only to have them encounter some hissing furry critters in a dark confined space.
    There have been guys levitate from that tank without touching rung 1 on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Seems to me that a simple solution would be to put up a barrier (nice stone wall 3' high or so, small fence) that's easy on the eyes and discourage folks from allowing their dogs in that area. If the owners aren't able to control their pup(s) then seems like common sense that they shouldn't be at an off leash park in the 1st place.

Another option would be to put a couple of Patterdale Terriers in the area. The beavers will learn to respect pup real quick.....

How bout sending Cesar Milan up there.....? Maybe he can talk/whisper both parties into being good..... LOL.
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    It would save money.Instead of paying out tax dollars for a wildlife expert to remove a few beavers,they could have interested parties pay to solve the problem.
    And they'd get a nice new hat to wear for a night out on the town...
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Depending on the area,they could open season on the beavers.But,since you might not want .22s going off in an urban area,they could hold a lottery drawing for people with trapping licenses and restrict the area to off leash pets for the duration.
    I am told that beaver(the wood gnawing kind,ya preverts) tastes like pork and any good piggy recipe works well with the meat.Waste nothing.
    Where I work on the Mississippi River here at Memphis,we have a dock barge that is home to literally 12 angry beavers(we counted them).It is a rite of passage to new hires to send them into the wingtanks on that dock to "fix the leak" only to have them encounter some hissing furry critters in a dark confined space.
    There have been guys levitate from that tank without touching rung 1 on the way out.
    See! I told you so. Confirmation that the little furry b@*#ards are getting very nasty.

Fox News just now had a story how wild animals are losing their fear of humans.

Forum Member

See! I told you so. Confirmation that the little furry b@*#ards are getting very nasty.

Fox News just now had a story how wild animals are losing their fear of humans.

Not just humans.Not long ago I was boating with friends and we happened to go where I am sort of employed(still on injury profile while workman's comp is tied up)and we saw a beaver on the bank squared off with a coyote.
    Wile E. was definitely getting the worst of the encounter and should have hunted in a pack for supper,even if it meant sharing with the big dog.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And...........

We're also having problems with beavers here in Downtown Maryland as well. Residents of an area East of me are complaining about a rise in the Water Level along Flat Creek, which seems to be a result of Beavers building a dam.... Being a good neighbor, I looked into the situation and found some very disturbing things........ First, the Beavers just started construction without getting a Permit. That was compounded by their failure to file an Environmental Impact Statement as required by Law. They also Ignored the Federal laws regarding Construction in a Waterway. Osha looked into their failure to maintain a safe workplace after one was struck by a Car while crossing the road. More concerns were raised by Residents downstream after they learned that no plans or engineering documents could be found on the Jobsite. Then the Army Corps of Engineers found that there was a need to dredge the waterway to allow for passage of Deep Draft Beavers who were involved with the Dam Construction...... It just never ends......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    ...Deep Draft Beavers...
    uhh... We're talking about what now?
    -3dd

Deep Draft Beavers...
    Oh its getting deep in here again...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Warning issued as team attempts to find beaver

An aggressive beaver in a Red Deer off-leash park

Several other reported beaver attacks...

The central Alberta city has rarely had to deal with problem beavers, despite a large population...

A team is being called in to locate the beaver

...whether it's one or more. Beaver identification is pretty challenging...

"For us, this definitely was a first. It came as a bit of a surprise for us, and we're taking it really seriously," he said.

The city first learned of the beaver problem...

...had a run-in with a beaver that left the dog bleeding and injured.

...she didn't want other dogs to fall prey to the beaver.

...that there is a beaver who's been quite aggressive lately...

Red Deer has a relatively robust beaver population....30 beaver lodges...

The beaver...likely to be removed from the area...it's possible that traps will be used.

Beaver Facts

Measures: About 1.3 metres long, from nose to tail, weighs 16 to 32 kg

Defences: Under attack, beavers stand their ground and protect themselves. They face the aggressor, rear up on their hind legs, and loudly hiss or growl before lunging forward to deliver extremely damaging bites.

I think I'm noticing a pattern here......I was once in a pub near FDIC that explains everything....

www.wildbeaversaloon.com/
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Young beaver killed,no allowance for deep draft beavers?
    We gotta do something or we're gonna lose our phony baloney jobs.Harumph!Harumph!Harumph!
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    We're also having problems with beavers here in Downtown Maryland as well. Residents of an area East of me are complaining about a rise in the Water Level along Flat Creek, which seems to be a result of Beavers building a dam.... Being a good neighbor, I looked into the situation and found some very disturbing things........ First, the Beavers just started construction without getting a Permit. That was compounded by their failure to file an Environmental Impact Statement as required by Law. They also Ignored the Federal laws regarding Construction in a Waterway. Osha looked into their failure to maintain a safe workplace after one was struck by a Car while crossing the road. More concerns were raised by Residents downstream after they learned that no plans or engineering documents could be found on the Jobsite. Then the Army Corps of Engineers found that there was a need to dredge the waterway to allow for passage of Deep Draft Beavers who were involved with the Dam Construction...... It just never ends......

Thread Information