Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default NJ civil service exam

Hey everyone! I sent out my civil service application back in March and I have not heard anything about it since, except for my credit card being charged the $35 fee, so I know at least they have it, but other than that I'm a little concerned as to why I have not heard anything.

Also just a random question, I heard the Newark NJ FD hires usually everytime the Civil service app is giving out, is this true? Ill move out to Newark asap hahah

Forum Member

I would contact the state if you haven't heard anything. A major problem with the NJ test is that most towns require that you be a resident at time of application. So for Newark, you would have to live in the city limits when you applied for the test. I only know cause I went thru the process a few years ago. Spent almost 2 years in Newark before I got an offer for another department. Took the offer and moved, only to find out Newark was going ahead with the process. But for me it was too late I had already changed residency.

Forum Member

Yea I put down my current address which is Fairview in Bergen County so I would be on the Bergenfield, Bloomfield and West Orange lists. I'll definitely call up then. I was asking about Newark because if they do hire often I would have 4 years to save up some cash to move out there by the next test, unless of course I'm hired before then. Thanx for the fast reply! What dept are you with? I'm a volunteer with Cliffside Park currently.

Forum Member

Right now Arlington County VA, soon to be Seattle Fire Department.

Forum Member

you won't here anything back from the dop until a test date is scheduled and then you will receive notice of time and day. Usually you will get the notice two weeks prior to the test date. At this point they had already pushed back the closing date to the end of may which at the earliest a test would be given is the fall, but i also heard that a test might not be given until feb/march of next year. You will still be called just going to be alittle longer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scubadvr View Post
    Right now Arlington County VA, soon to be Seattle Fire Department.
    Ohh nice! best of luck! stay safe brotha

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply urbanwarfare, I didn't know they pushed back the closing date.

Forum Member

from what i've heard is the written exam will be held in fall 2010 and the physical test spring of 2011. if you go to the civil service website they put up a study guide with a 35 question exam practice on there and a prep to get you into shape for the physical test. also outline's what will be on the test. i'm in weehawken in hudson co. and part of the north hudson regional fire and rescue so i'm competing with 5 other cities for only 4 spots from what i've heard. we all gotta ace the exam if we have any chance of getting hired, with this economy they just aren't hiring.

according to the fire president he told me they're short 40 guys so they closed down 4 houses and changed the minimum requirement and now they're short 4 guys all to save money. needless to say the president isn't to happy about the safety his guys now have to work in being so understaffed, not to mention the risk the community has of getting fire service in time if their lives depend on it.

good luck on the test man

Forum Member

Where on the website can I find the practice test and all that? I can't find it.

Forum Member

Don't worry if you didn't get notified yet. I'm sure they don't even have a test date set up. I'm sure it's the furthest thing from their mind. I took the test over 3 years ago and I sent my application for the test you are talking about. I took it for Newark but they do put you on essex county list as well. When I took the test a class was being hired and yes that usualy is how they did things. However, this is a totally different time so don't assume or expect anything especially when it comes to Newark. The fact is they are looking to layoff cops so I don't see them hiring fire fighters. If they layoff firefighters the chances of getting hired are over. I say this because when they do hire they have to hire the laid off people first. They havent laid anyone off yet and hopefully they wont. It is very hard to get hired as a Newark firefighter to begin with. The economy is the way it is and I am anticipating alot of vets on this new application. I heard the written is in the fall and the obstacle course is in the spring. But it wouldn't be surprising if they continue to push that date back.
    I'm assuming you're in your early 20's. Just be aware of a few things. Even if the economy wasn't a problem it ussually takes 2-3 years to get hired unless you time it perfectly. Don't believe everything you hear and understand that when it comes to hiring these are all just opinions. No one knows for sure what is going on. The only advice I can say is study, and do as well as you can on the test. Then put it out of your head and move on as if your not going to get hired. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and bank that this will work out. Good luck to you and hopefully you will get what you want sooner then later

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JACKT View Post
    Don't worry if you didn't get notified yet. I'm sure they don't even have a test date set up. I'm sure it's the furthest thing from their mind. I took the test over 3 years ago and I sent my application for the test you are talking about. I took it for Newark but they do put you on essex county list as well. When I took the test a class was being hired and yes that usualy is how they did things. However, this is a totally different time so don't assume or expect anything especially when it comes to Newark. The fact is they are looking to layoff cops so I don't see them hiring fire fighters. If they layoff firefighters the chances of getting hired are over. I say this because when they do hire they have to hire the laid off people first. They havent laid anyone off yet and hopefully they wont. It is very hard to get hired as a Newark firefighter to begin with. The economy is the way it is and I am anticipating alot of vets on this new application. I heard the written is in the fall and the obstacle course is in the spring. But it wouldn't be surprising if they continue to push that date back.
    I'm assuming you're in your early 20's. Just be aware of a few things. Even if the economy wasn't a problem it ussually takes 2-3 years to get hired unless you time it perfectly. Don't believe everything you hear and understand that when it comes to hiring these are all just opinions. No one knows for sure what is going on. The only advice I can say is study, and do as well as you can on the test. Then put it out of your head and move on as if your not going to get hired. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and bank that this will work out. Good luck to you and hopefully you will get what you want sooner then later
    Yea I'm 20, this is my first try ever. I'm also going to try for FDNY I think they're application is coming out in the fall, but thats probably harder than Newark haha. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and get hired by Bloomfield or West Orange since I'm on those lists now anyway.

Forum Member

fdny you have to live in one of the 5 boroughs your entire career. Maybe you know someone who's adress you can use. Keep at it. 20 is great. You have plenty of time to get hired eventually. Keep at it. Take every test you can. Fire, cop, corrections etc. You can always say no. Do not rely on any one thing to come through. It's a tough time and your dealing with very tough departments. Keep at it though. It goes fast

Forum Member

urbanwarfare. you heard the written part of the exam will be in Feb or March? That would be great for me. I guess if thats true then the final list won't come out until the end of next year

Forum Member

Actually my next question was, do you have to live in Newark your whole career or just for the first year, I heard both from different sources. You can tell I have my heart set on FDNY and Newark haha, but of course I'll take what I can get with this economy.

Forum Member

You have to live in Newark to take the exam. Then once you get hired you have to live in Newark for one year. Then you can move. Same for the police. I'm 100 % positive. FDNY you have to live there your whole career.

Forum Member

FDNY you can live out in Westchester, Putnam, Rockland and Suffolk counties as a firefighter. In order to get the residency credit you have to live within the 5 boros. Last time I took it you had to live in New York state and provide proof such as a drivers license. New Jersey does check pretty hard for false claims on residency so my advice is not to try and play the address game. Don't give them any reason to doubt your integrity. Decide on where you want to go, make it legal then take all the tests that you can without having to claim residency there.

Forum Member

He's right. You can take the test while u live in new jersey I believe. However they will take 2 points off the exam, i think. Those 2 points will do you in though so you have to get the residency

Forum Member

here is the written practice exam http://www.nj.gov/csc/public_safety/...TUDY_GUIDE.pdf

and here is the prep for the physical test http://www.nj.gov/csc/public_safety/...al_2010-11.pdf

Forum Member

Here is what the FDNY site has in the FAQ section:

Do you have to live in New York City or New York State to file or take the examination?
    Answer: No, it does not matter where you live when you file for or take the Firefighter Exam. However, when you are appointed you must live in either the five boroughs of New York City or in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Nassau or Suffolk County.

So you can keep the Jersey address and apply for FDNY.

Forum Member

You are absolutely correct about the living situation. But if he takes the test with a jersey adress they will take at least 2 points off his final grade. When he takes the test he should have the new york ad. If not there is no point in wasting his time cause 2 points off the final grade will give you 0 chance of getting hired. I promise you that

Thread Information