MembersZone Subscriber

Default Class A uniforms to non firefighter weddings...

This was the question asked to me by one of my firefighters....and well....I was a little stumped. I gave him permission to wear it this time and told him I would ponder the idea for future weddings. Everything I've read says it can and should be allowed. It shows respect and pride. How do you all feel about this topic.

"Wearing class A uniforms to a non-firefighter wedding"

Forum Member

Most guys I know don't even wear Class As to firefighter weddings from their own job.

To me, doing it at a non-FF wedding just screams "PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE!!!!"

Back In Black

Sounds like you have a hardcore whacker on your hands.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    Most guys I know don't even wear Class As to firefighter weddings from their own job.

Yes. And I'm sure the bride won't mind at all if everyone pays more attention to the uniforn than her in her expensive dress...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post

Yup. He's either desperate for attention or compensating for a small wee-wee.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let's talk fire trucks!

I agree with the others, it sounds like a "look at me" situation to wear it to a non-FD wedding. Doesn't make sense.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Did he indicate if he was asked to wear the uniform?.......if not, I sure as heck wouldn't wear one!

Forum Member

Chief bad precedence on this. No one wears a fire department uniform to a wedding, not even a groom. I have to be honest and say in all the years I've been doing this and seen members get married, I have never seen a member wear their uniform to a wedding.

Maybe a clean pair of bib overalls and a clean white shirt maybe...

I am supposing this member didn't have a suit to wear to this event?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Chief bad precedence on this. No one wears a fire department uniform to a wedding, not even a groom. I have to be honest and say in all the years I've been doing this and seen members get married, I have never seen a member wear their uniform to a wedding.
    Since I gather that the issue here is that wearing a Class A is only done with the Chief's permission in the original poster's department. If that's the case, I don't see any reason why the Chief shouldn't permit it despite the fact that it strikes me as damned odd to want to wear a Class A to a wedding. Granted, I've seen a few military uniforms at weddings but never a FD uniform.

The only warning sign that comes to my mind is alcohol. What policies are in place about drinking in uniform or just about how a firefighter represents the department when in uniform?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I would wear a nice civilian suit.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The only warning sign that comes to my mind is alcohol. What policies are in place about drinking in uniform or just about how a firefighter represents the department when in uniform?
    That is exactly what I was thinking! You're always representing your dept and profession, so if he knows he's going to get a little loose, better to not wear it.

MembersZone Subscriber

i failed to mention in my original post that the member asked to wear the class A to the ceremony only, he stated he knew he would be drinking and had no intentions on wearing it to the reception (as our policy would prohibit). I have talked to him again and we read your posts....got a chuckle out of some of them. he stated that two of his cousins were wearing their class A's from the military (Marines and Army) and they had brought the idea up to him. his other cousin (the bride) thought it would make a cool picture after the wedding ceremony....herself and her 3 cousins that were all dressed up in class their class A's. After reading what other firefighters thought of the idea he has opted out of wearing it, stating the last thing he wants to do is take attention away from the bride and groom. i told him the decision was his and even after reading your comments i still approved.

on a side note i have heard of many grooms wearing a class A to their own wedding....
    Last edited by chiefrude1; 07-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefrude1 View Post
    i failed to mention in my original post that the member asked to wear the class A to the ceremony only, he stated he knew he would be drinking and had no intentions on wearing it to the reception (as our policy would prohibit). I have talked to him again and we read your posts....got a chuckle out of some of them. he stated that two of his cousins were wearing their class A's from the military (Marines and Army) and they had brought the idea up to him. his other cousin (the bride) thought it would make a cool picture after the wedding ceremony....herself and her 3 cousins that were all dressed up in class their class A's. After reading what other firefighters thought of the idea he has opted out of wearing it, stating the last thing he wants to do is take attention away from the bride and groom. i told him the decision was his and even after reading your comments i still approved.
    on a side note i have heard of many grooms wearing a class A to their own wedding....
    Now You Tell Us!! Well, if the bride thinks it's good and would want a family photo of everyone in uniform I change my opinion. Actually, it could be a nice pic. But he has the right idea to change before the reception.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Now You Tell Us!! Well, if the bride thinks it's good and would want a family photo of everyone in uniform I change my opinion. Actually, it could be a nice pic. But he has the right idea to change before the reception.
    I was just informed of that detail today

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by chiefrude1 View Post
    When I got re-married a few months ago, I wore my Class A. As did my best man (a state troooper), and both groomsmen (one is a county police officer and the other is a fire chief). Made for some pretty neat photos, and my wife was all about it.

As you'd expect, the photographer said she'd never seen a wedding quite like it.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    See post above.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Back In Black

As long as none of those cousins were marrying, then I'm okay with it.

EDIT: Especially if they were first cousins...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Red face

Listen, as probably every man that has been married learned really quick....

The only thing that matters is what the BRIDE TO BE WANTS.

The wedding is for her and that is the way it should be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    The wedding is for her and that is the way it should be.
    The wedding is for the couple and the couple alone; not just for the bride.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Royal Blue Sleeve Stripes

Anyone out there know of any FD that uses Royal Blue Stripes on the sleeve cuff of their Class A Uniform. According to some out there, supposed to be a standard for FF.

MembersZone Subscriber

It might be a regional thing, but at my old (all career) department it was considered tradition to wear Class A's to a *firefighter* wedding. I remember some weddings where all the groomsmen as well as the groom were wearing Class A's. It looked pretty darned sharp. I also wore mine to my wedding. But, the kicker in my old department was that we had all bought our own Class A's, so the department and/or chief didn't have any authority over telling us where it could be worn.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by TRK105 View Post
    Anyone out there know of any FD that uses Royal Blue Stripes on the sleeve cuff of their Class A Uniform. According to some out there, supposed to be a standard for FF.
    Why are you asking this all over this forum?

Is this really such a BURNING question?? Who gives a flying ...?

Forum Member

Default In response to ChiefKN

I contacted the moderator for the forums looking for the correct forum to ask this question.
    There are some proposed changes to our Class A uniform policy by a new Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief. They are both saying that Royal Blue stripes on the sleeve cuffs are a national standard for the FF Rank. They are currently wearing Black stripes. Was simply trying to find out if anyone is using Royal Blue. I have been around awhile and have never seen anyone wearing Royal Blue in my travels.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by TRK105 View Post
    This has been addressed in other fourms!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Just so you've got an answer here, I don't think there's a national standard for Class A uniforms. All the depts in my area have plain sleeves until they become an officer.

Back In Black

Who would even set standards on uniforms?

Good lord, we can't get anyone to set standards on hose threads, etc!

Thread Information