Forum Member

Default Who was awarded the new contract today(07-20-2010)

I talked to someone who works in Kandahar and he told me that a new contract for fire protection being awarded today any info on this would be great.

Thanks

Forum Member

The new contract is only for Kandahar (KAF) and not anywhere else in Afghanistan. The current contract was extended because no one wants to bid it.

Forum Member

So its still dyncorp?

MembersZone Subscriber

You are talking about the NATO/NAMSA contract which currently has an EMS contract and a Fire Contract. They have decided to merge the two so they only have one company to deal with. This contract is ONLY for Kandahar.

The award date was pushed until August 1st.

It will be a phased in process...the winner of the contract will assume fire services in December and take over EMS in April.

Currently the Fire service is provided by ATCO and unless you are Philipino, Sri Lankan, Indian or Bosnian...you do not have a chance at employment as their expat quota is full.

The medical is by IAP who subcontracts to ASA which is an Australian company, so unless you are Aussie or Kiwi, you have no chance there either.

Dyncorp has a presence on Kandahar but they are not directly responsible for fire suppression.

Also, a company called Supreme is currently hiring firefighters as well because they manage all the fuel farms and they are supposed to have fire suppression on stand by. They will most likely use TCNs however since the job literally consists of babysitting a fuel farm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forgot to mention that IAP has been dominating the market on Kandahar and are a strong contender for this contract since they are the medical incumbent.

Bare in mind as of a week or two ago, IAP and DynCorp are now owned by the same company...so if IAP gets it, I would not be surprised if Dyncorp became the subcontractor.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Well thanks for the info, I am just looking to go to either Iraq or Afghan. I have my Firefighter 2, EMT, Hazmat awareness, Fire officer 1, fire inspector 1, and driver operator. I am however lacking Airport firefighter. They are pro board. I have applied with wackenhut and Dyncorp about 2 weeks ago and havent heard anything.

Forum Member

Well, i'm sure living in Ireland it must be hard to get those certs, good job getting what you got.

Forum Member

Haha I live in Florida

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irishfirefighting View Post
    Well thanks for the info, I am just looking to go to either Iraq or Afghan. I have my Firefighter 2, EMT, Hazmat awareness, Fire officer 1, fire inspector 1, and driver operator. I am however lacking Airport firefighter. They are pro board. I have applied with wackenhut and Dyncorp about 2 weeks ago and havent heard anything.
    DynCorp can be slow but they will eventually look you up. It took me a while before they picked me up but I am leaving 1 Aug to go over and be a fire crew chief.

Forum Member

Yea I'm looking forward to it I might try And give them a call today. Thanks for your help

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by srwilliam View Post
    DynCorp can be slow but they will eventually look you up. It took me a while before they picked me up but I am leaving 1 Aug to go over and be a fire crew chief.
    See ya there!
    "FBHF"

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What do Cops and Firefighters have in common? They BOTH WANT To be FIREFIGHTERS!"

"I love the Police Officers have firefighters to look up to..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irishfirefighting View Post
    Haha I live in Florida
    ahh.. well, that answers that. Florida, along with being the shark attack and lightning strike capital of America, also allows it's residents to claim dual citizenship as Irish. Nice. Here i thought they were American.. crazy.

Thread Information