Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Needed iPhone App?

Besides calculating pump pressure and wildland weather & fuels data, what other things could a firefighter do (or would like to do) using an iPhone app?

I browsed the apps available for the fire service and I didn't find that many, maybe I was searching the wrong key words. What else would be useful?

Regards

- Adam

Fire Service Web Design - Video Production - Photography

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Both WISER and the ERG are available as iphone apps.
    Scanner911 for Scanning
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking to build an "all-in-one" or just looking for useful ones for your own use?

Things that would come in handy:
    - A good scheduler that includes trade and OT tracking (I think this is the one a lot of the guys use on the Droid)
    - A watered down version of the PDR or other drug reference book (drug name, generics, picture, physical description, uses, dosage, side-effects... don't really care about chemical compounding and the such in the field)
    - HAZMAT: ERG & WISER

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's what I thought about off the top of my head.

MembersZone Subscriber

Double Post!

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Andriod

Whatever you build, please release an Andriod version also. I just got my Sprint Evo and I'm hunting for apps.

Thanks

Default Android Wildland App

Looks like there is a real need for FF apps on the Android. I just finished my first one, it's called "Simple Wildland RH"

When using the belt weather kit after you obtain your wet & dry bulb temps you then have to fiddle with RH tables on paper and guess your elevation to find RH.

So this basic app takes your wet & dry bulb temps and inserts your GPS altitude and calcs RH and dew point for you.

Check it out and give me some feedback, it's a free download. Search the app title in the Android marketplace. Make sure you get v1.4 and enable your GPS function.
    Last edited by adamifrd; 09-07-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: forgot to remind about version number...
    Regards

- Adam

Fire Service Web Design - Video Production - Photography

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post

I'll second that....just downloaded the "911 Toolkit" and it's pretty neat ($7.99 at the AppStore). Got the Emergency Response Guidebook, pump operator's calculator (friction loss, pump pressure, needed fire flow), and more. Covers fire, medical, and haz-mat.

Would like to see it contain a basic drug reference feature for medical calls, but besides that it has a lot of neat functions in one app.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I'll second that....just downloaded the "911 Toolkit" and it's pretty neat ($7.99 at the AppStore). Got the Emergency Response Guidebook, pump operator's calculator (friction loss, pump pressure, needed fire flow), and more. Covers fire, medical, and haz-mat.

Would like to see it contain a basic drug reference feature for medical calls, but besides that it has a lot of neat functions in one app.
    Try the free version of Epocrates for meds.
    My wife has it on her Ipod touch and uses it daily at the hospital
    We have it on the laptop in the ambulance. It's great when the Pt hands you their pill box and they don't know what the meds are, just that they take the green one and the white one at breakfast

Thread Information