Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default Our 10 Poorest Cities

    I recently received this email - can't verify it on Snopes, so it must be true

    Anyway I wish to share this with my Tea Party Friends

    TEN POOREST CITIES
    City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
    1. Detroit , MI 32.5%
    2. Buffalo , NY 29..9%
    3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
    4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
    5. Miami , FL 26.9%
    5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
    7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
    8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
    9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
    10. Newark , NJ 24.2%








    U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

    What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?



    Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961.

    Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1954.

    Cincinnati, OH (3rd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1984.

    Cleveland, OH (4th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1989.

    Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor.

    St. Louis, MO (6th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1949.

    El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor.

    Milwaukee, WI (8th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1908.

    Philadelphia, PA (9th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1952.

    Newark, NJ (10th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1907.


    Einstein once said,
    'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'


    It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats yet they are still POOR!
    "You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

    And...Mr. Obama, you are no Abe Lincoln!


  2. #2
    Forum Member firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    I guess a whole county, not just a city, being about 29% below poverty level doesn't count for anything in their statistics.

    "Sorry Morgan County, TN, we staticians only care about your numbers if we think it's politically useful to do so."

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    I guess a whole county, not just a city, being about 29% below poverty level doesn't count for anything in their statistics.

    "Sorry Morgan County, TN, we staticians only care about your numbers if we think it's politically useful to do so."
    Funny thing about that poverty level, it is a moving target. This is how it is measured
    In 1963-1964, Molly Orshansky of the Social Security Administration developed poverty thresholds. Orshansky based her poverty thresholds on the "thrifty food plan," which was the cheapest of four food plans developed by the Department of Agriculture. The food plan was "designed for temporary or emergency use when funds are low," according to the USDA. Based on the 1955 Household Food Consumption Survey from the USDA (the latest available survey at the time), Orshansky knew that families of three or more persons spent about one third of their after-tax income on food. She then multiplied the cost of the USDA economy food plan by three to arrive at the minimal yearly income a family would need. Using 1963 as a base year, she calculated that a family of four, two adults and two children would spend $1,033 for food per year. Using her formula based on the 1955 survey, she arrived at $3,100 a year ($1,033 x3) as the poverty threshold for a family of four in 1963.
    How We Measure Poverty: it is a good read.

    What irks me is to see people allegedly living in poverty getting food stamps. Yet they have money for cigarettes, beer, and drugs. And they spend the food stamp money foolishly, buying things like slim jims and 20 oz sodas in the local convenience store. never mind you can buy the 2 liter bottle for less than the 20 oz bottle.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    656

    Default

    You know there are political forums on the internet, right?

  5. #5
    Forum Member firemanpat29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    427

    Default

    And that this aint one of them !

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    866

    Default

    [QUOTE=ScareCrow57;1191026]
    It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats yet they are still POOR!
    "You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

    ScareCrow,
    Thank you for these profound words from Mr. Lincoln. Those words are 145 years old and the Dem's still haven't figured it out.
    When I was in the small town in Michigan my wife is from, I went to the local grocery store, (they only have one) and stood in line behind a woman who was buying all kinds of food. She paid for the steak, beer, ice cream, cigarettes with cash and the rest with food stamps. Since I only had one item I caught up with her in the parking lot in time to see her get in her one year old Cadillac and drive off. The state has a democratic governor.

  7. #7
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,199

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I recently received this email - can't verify it on Snopes, so it must be true

    Anyway I wish to share this with my Tea Party Friends

    TEN POOREST CITIES
    City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level
    1. Detroit , MI 32.5%
    2. Buffalo , NY 29..9%
    3. Cincinnati , OH 27.8%
    4. Cleveland , OH 27.0%
    5. Miami , FL 26.9%
    5. St. Louis , MO 26.8%
    7. El Paso , TX 26.4%
    8. Milwaukee , WI 26.2%
    9. Philadelphia , PA 25.1%
    10. Newark , NJ 24.2%








    U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

    What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?



    Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961.

    Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1954.

    Cincinnati, OH (3rd) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1984.

    Cleveland, OH (4th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1989.

    Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor.

    St. Louis, MO (6th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1949.

    El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor.

    Milwaukee, WI (8th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1908.

    Philadelphia, PA (9th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1952.

    Newark, NJ (10th) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1907.


    Einstein once said,
    'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'


    It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats yet they are still POOR!
    "You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln

    And...Mr. Obama, you are no Abe Lincoln!



    Who really give a ***.

    Now you are an expert on this too, huh?

    You just never cease to amaze me, by your right wing thoughts.

    Oh BTW why not keep it up as you did on several other forums and have them locked!

    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  8. #8
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Actually this is totally incorrect. The poorest city by is whichever one you reside in.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    The amazing thing about the 10 poorest cities is that no matter who is President, there will always be 10 of them...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Forum Member Blulakr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    You know there are political forums on the internet, right?





    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    The amazing thing about the 10 poorest cities is that no matter who is President, there will always be 10 of them...
    Pretty much sums it up.

  12. #12
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    The amazing thing about the 10 poorest cities is that no matter who is President, there will always be 10 of them...
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    For what it's worth, here are the 10 "poorest (by unemployment rates)" states and the party of the Governor:

    1. Nevada (14.2%)
    2. Michigan (13.2%)
    3. California (12.3%)
    4. Rhode Island (12.0%)
    5. Florida (11.4%) Technically Republican
    6. Mississippi (11.0%)
    7. South Carolina (10.7)
    8. Oregon (10.5%)
    9. Ohio (10.5%)
    10. Illinois (10.4%)

    Now there are also many different questions that need to be asked in the field of statistics, such as "Is X voting Y because they are poor, or is X poor because they are voting Y, or is there any actual influence from either on either". But of course the meanings of statistics don't make nice little political talking points, they do require you to think after all instead of copy & pasting.

    EDIT: Forgot to add my source, the unemployment numbers come from the US Department of Labor June 2010 with a quick dose of Wikipedia to check the political affiliation of each states Governor
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 07-22-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Screw it, just because it is so much fun to take mundane little statistics and pretend that just because there is a relationship it equals a cause/effect situation I present the next list:

    10 "richest" cities by GDP:

    1 New York City

    2 Los Angeles
    3 Chicago
    4 Philadelphia
    5 Washington, D.C.
    6 Boston
    7 Dallas
    8 Atlanta
    9 San Francisco
    10 Houston
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  15. #15
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Screw it, just because it is so much fun to take mundane little statistics and pretend that just because there is a relationship it equals a cause/effect situation I present the next list:

    10 "richest" cities by GDP:

    1 New York City

    2 Los Angeles
    3 Chicago
    4 Philadelphia
    5 Washington, D.C.
    6 Boston
    7 Dallas
    8 Atlanta
    9 San Francisco
    10 Houston
    Hey where is Camden, NJ????????
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Hey where is Camden, NJ????????
    It's in Camden, NJ. Duh.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    The most important statistic: The top-10 US Cities for Retaining walls.

    10. Minneapolis, MN
    9. Phoenix, AZ
    8. Dallas, TX
    7. Los Angeles, CA
    6. Pittsburgh, PA
    5. Galveston, TX
    4. Washington, D.C.
    3. Atlanta, GA
    2. Cincinnati, OH
    1. Seattle, WA
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Who really give a ***.

    Now you are an expert on this too, huh?

    You just never cease to amaze me, by your right wing thoughts.

    Oh BTW why not keep it up as you did on several other forums and have them locked!

    Nope. It was just sent to me and I shared it.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Actually this is totally incorrect. The poorest city by is whichever one you reside in.
    I don't live in a city - never will either.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Hey where is Camden, NJ????????
    Just east of Philadelphia......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Firefighting History Timeline, 1608-1909 - Input Wanted
    By legeros in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 12:50 PM
  2. Pinellas County Cities argue over lost fees
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 08:29 PM
  3. 5 UTah Cities might consolidate Fire/Paramedics
    By UTFFEMT in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 06:58 PM
  4. Florida--3 Cities combine Emergency Dispatch Center
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2002, 08:06 PM
  5. Helping Cities During Disasters
    By markww in forum Innovative Community Programs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-1998, 12:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts