MembersZone Subscriber

Default DOD certs for civillians.

Anyone know how a civilian can get DOD Fire certs? I'm trying to get a job overseas and I need IFSAC, Proboard, or DOD Driver Operator certification and no college in the state of Florida can accredit it through IFSAC or Proboard. My only other option is try and get certified through DOD. Any advice?

Worldwide Menace

Nope... No chance to get DoD certs without being affiliated with a DoD unit.

-Damien

Forum Member

Damian is completely incorrect. TEEX, Bucks, and various other CC's offer proboard and IFSAC certs that are equitable to the DOD cert system.
    If requesting a position overseas (please let me know which company and i can help you some more).
    Another option you can look into is go to your local military fire department and see if you can get into a class. We had several students at the local college enrolled in the Fire Science program attend classes that were offered on base and received IFSAC certs.
    You will have to travel to attend these classes, but they are usually on a week or two long. Depends on how bad you want it.

Forum Member

Damien is correct-you cannot get DoD certs without being a DoD member, either military or civilian. But you can get IFSAC/NPQ certs, which are equivalent, and can be submitted for reciprocity if you are hired by a DoD unit.

I believe the OP's question revolves around being in FL, which is not an IFSAC/NPQ state. He wants to find a way to get either his FL certs recognized by IFSAC/NPQ, or find an accredited entity in FL to take the classes. Either way, won't work. Either go out of state to an accredited school, or join the military.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Damian is completely incorrect. TEEX, Bucks, and various other CC's offer proboard and IFSAC certs that are equitable to the DOD cert system.
    I think you misunderstood the OP's original question- but Damian is not incorrect, he is completely correct. In order to obtain a DOD CERTIFICATION you must be affiliated with a civilian or military Fire Department. You can obtain them by taking the class through your affiliated department, or by having your affiliated department submit your NBPQ/IFSAC tickets in for DOD Reciprocity.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

No misunderstanding at all. DOD and IFSAC are essentially the same thing. The only difference is the central database maintained by AFCESA. As someone that has worked overseas i know from past experience that you do not need a DOD Cert. All they care about is the IFSAC Seal. There is no need for a DOD cert unless you are working for a DOD fire department.. so why strive for one?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    There is no need for a DOD cert unless you are working for a DOD fire department.. so why strive for one?
    Incorrect. There are 2 states (I won't name them, but apparently firefighting is really, really different there) that will not accept IFSAC/ProBoard, but will accept DOD, and convert it to their state certification, after a reciprocal test.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

It seems you are a Florida certified firefighter. All your Fl. fire certs are proboard approved already. You can get the form from the Fire Standards and training Bureau at the state fire college in Ocala.

Forum Member

Default DOD certs for civillians.

DOD certs for civillians.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know how a civilian can get DOD Fire certs? I'm trying to get a job overseas and I need IFSAC, Proboard, or DOD Driver Operator certification and no college in the state of Florida can accredit it through IFSAC or Proboard. My only other option is try and get certified through DOD. Any advice?

The easiest way is to get IFSAC or Proboard from someone like Bucks county or even TEEXs

Thread Information