Forum Member

On our Rescue Squad we have a 13 amp corded Milwaukee and a 24v Dewalt (with 3 batteries and a corded adaptor).

On the Rescue Engine we just have a 13 amp corded Milwaukee. We have had good luck with both saws. Having cars in ditches, down embankments, or far out into a field is fairly common for us so having the option of a reliable cordless saw to get things started is an asset to us.

Also, as was stated above, the blade is just as important as the saw. Before we really sat down and evaluated our heavy rescue equipment cache we had a hodgepodge of assorted blades that were really inadequate for what we wanted them to do. Since investing in better blades we have had much better luck.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THTMAN View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Hilti Cordless sawzalls? How would they match up with the various DeWalt models?
    We use the Hilti WSR-650A 24 volt and have had no problems with it. With the Robo Pak you get a great extended period of use. As for the Dewalt, I own an 18 volt sawzall for basic household use and the only major difference I can see is the fully charged battery life. The 24 volt last much longer on a full charge, but that could be the age or chemistry of the battery.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

My 2 cents
    If I only had one recip on the rig it would be corded with a good generator for mobility. I have been on scenes where all the batteries from all the cordless saws where used up, luckily we had our corded saw. We stayed corded because the ambulance here actually carries cordless saws, so we get the best of both.

corded saws I like this one great being so adjustable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-9.../dp/B0000ASDMK

cordless I like this one had good luck so far.
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC305K-...9198637&sr=1-3

for both corded and cordless saws the one feature that gives me trouble is the blade changing mechanism. the spring loaded turn type can kinda get gunked up and slow you down.

Good luck and yes the blade is just as if not more important, than what type of cordless saw you get.

Forum Member

Default Cordless Sawsall

We have 2 saws on the rescue both are corded. No batteries, we have discussed and I think that a cordless is good for quick down and dirty but if doing cutting of the posts I would feel better using one with a cord. Also use the best blade you can it makes all the differance in the world. Another thing when you get your sawsall pratice,pratice, pratice. Know how to cut because you can have some delay if you have to keep changing blades because they are bending and breaking.
    Good Luck and stay safe.

Forum Member

Get both corded and battery.. you'll get about one windshield cut out on one battery.. haha but seriously think about getting both..
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Thread Information