Default Input needed on cordless sawzalls

My department is looking to purchase new reciprocating saws. They will primarily be used for auto extrication.
    What brands/models are you guys using and what would you recommend? We are leaning heavily towards cordless saws right now so battery life is a major concern.

Thanks for any help!

Forum Member

We have a DeWalt 24V with Lithium Ion battery. Make sure that what you get has the lithium ion battery as they are better interms of life and charging without "memory".

Also note that the blade is every bit as important as the saw!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MediumRare View Post
    My department is looking to purchase new reciprocating saws. They will primarily be used for auto extrication.
    What brands/models are you guys using and what would you recommend? We are leaning heavily towards cordless saws right now so battery life is a major concern.

Thanks for any help!
    The 36 volt dewalt paired with a RoboPak works great. This will give adequate battery power for extrications.

http://www.aircraftdynamics.com/251.htm

It can also be combined with the RoboPak BackPak for ultimate portablility.

http://www.aircraftdynamics.com/176.htm?parentid=82

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2 cordless DeWalts (24V I think) on our rescue, one on each side and then a corded one also (I think it's a Milwaukee). If we're going to be cutting quite a bit, we use the corded one. But a simple thing like cutting out a windshield will just call for the cordless.

Forum Member

DeWalt 24 volt with a 110 adapter. With one lithium battery we can take off a roof Along the "cordless" line The Ryobi gas powered sawzall, I dont think it is being made anymore while a bit loud it has great cutting power anywhere. If you can find one get it and a good battery sawzall keep them maintained these tool has been there when the Hrt's broke down and with a Hi Lift jack you have good back up or a light weight portable system

Forum Member

+1 for the gas powered Ryobi. You can sometimes find them on craigslist. We have the DeWalt 24v cordless tools and they suck with the standard batteries. I think the lithium might be a better bet. We never had any problems with the 18v, though.

Forum Member

We have a Milwaukee with both the lithium and conventional batteries. Suffice it to say I'm buying a 13 Amp CORDed Sawall to replace this unreliable POS. Oh,the SAW is OK but the batteries have a VERY short life. Certainly no comparison to the corded 13amp version for extrication. There won't be any more cordless saws HERE. T.C.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Since we already have corded sawzalls on our rigs I think we will try out the DeWalt w/ 36v batterys. But we'll still keep the Milwaukee in mind as an option. I don't think I could talk anyone into buying a used gas powered tool off craigslist though.

Forum Member

I like the Milwakee SAW just fine. I just don't like the battery life of ANY cordless tool. When I'm in the middle of a active Extrication i don't want to be constantly changing out Batteries. And if you put the CORDED 13 amp saw against the Cordless,ANY Cordless,I DOUBT you'll be switching to cordless. They just ain't "Got it". Give me the 13 and a good Torch or Diamond blade and we'll do some DAMAGE. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I like the Milwakee SAW just fine. I just don't like the battery life of ANY cordless tool. When I'm in the middle of a active Extrication i don't want to be constantly changing out Batteries. And if you put the CORDED 13 amp saw against the Cordless,ANY Cordless,I DOUBT you'll be switching to cordless. They just ain't "Got it". Give me thw 13 and a good Torch or Diamond blade and we'll do some DAMAGE. T.C.
    What about the AC/corded adapter for the cordless saw? That seems like the best of both worlds. A quick jump without waiting for the cord reels..etc but the ability to switch to long-term power once available.

I know Dewalt used to sell them for some of their cordless models but can't find them anymore.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    What about the AC/corded adapter for the cordless saw? That seems like the best of both worlds. A quick jump without waiting for the cord reels..etc but the ability to switch to long-term power once available.

I know Dewalt used to sell them for some of their cordless models but can't find them anymore.
    Would be the next best option IF they are still available. Just cause I don't like cordless doesn't mean they don't have a place for some of you. I CAN say with some certainty that MOST cordless won't begin to approach the capacity of the 13 amp Supersawsall. It's a GOOD saw. T.C.

Fire Captain, LVRS

We run 2 dewalt 36-volt saw-z-alls on our Rescue Engine and 3 on our Rescue Squad. The third on the squad is corded milwakee. They are very reliable and frankly it's one of our first off the truck pieces because they cut pillars like butter and are great for panel vans, tractor trailers, etc. We keep one in a "window bag" for taking windshields in under a minute, and 2 more on the truck for ease of deployment.

Hope this helps. I also think that it's pretty important to use the metal blades with some sort of soap if possible, because those "universal blades" just don't remove the clippings as fast as the saw is moving and it will gum up bad and jam.

Quote Originally Posted by MHaggerty View Post
    We run 2 dewalt 36-volt saw-z-alls on our Rescue Engine and 3 on our Rescue Squad. The third on the squad is corded milwakee. They are very reliable and frankly it's one of our first off the truck pieces because they cut pillars like butter and are great for panel vans, tractor trailers, etc. We keep one in a "window bag" for taking windshields in under a minute, and 2 more on the truck for ease of deployment.

Hope this helps. I also think that it's pretty important to use the metal blades with some sort of soap if possible, because those "universal blades" just don't remove the clippings as fast as the saw is moving and it will gum up bad and jam.
    We finally decided on the dewalt 36v with lithium ion batteries. From what I can tell from the info available online the LiIon batteries are exactly what we needed.

-No self discharge
    -No "memory"
    -100% power until the battery is completly drained.
    -Greatly increased runtime and power vs. 18v and NiCad batteries.

I'll post back after we get the first saw in for testing.

Thanks all for the help.

Fire Captain, LVRS

They are AWESOME, and will undoubtedly change your persepective on using them during an extrication.. They are just so quick with the right blade, at times they are more effective than a hydraulic cutter.

We labeled each battery with a number to inventory as well as an "in service" month/year date on them to better track battery life, usage and such...

To date (2 years) we use them alot in training and in the field, and we haven't killed a battery completely yet, even after several significant drops.

Forum Member

Default Gas powered reciprocating saw

We are currently developing a gas powered recip saw. 2 stroke. Very lightweight. In the testing phase right now. Should be on the market late September.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MediumRare View Post
    We finally decided on the dewalt 36v with lithium ion batteries. From what I can tell from the info available online the LiIon batteries are exactly what we needed.

-No self discharge
    -No "memory"
    -100% power until the battery is completly drained.
    -Greatly increased runtime and power vs. 18v and NiCad batteries.

I'll post back after we get the first saw in for testing.

Thanks all for the help.
    WHILE YOU'RE AT IT,GET YOUR HANDS ON A 13+ AMP corded AND PUT THE TWO SAWS HEAD TO HEAD. Borrow one if you have to. MAKE SURE it's 13 or more amps. Then tell me how they compare. If you're going to depend on CORDLESS,you've made a good choice. But do yourself a favor and try BOTH. You LIKELY will opt to add another tool to your arsenal. We're taking one AWAY,and yes,it's cordless. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bkfm View Post
    We are currently developing a gas powered recip saw. 2 stroke. Very lightweight. In the testing phase right now. Should be on the market late September.
    Who is we?

Forum Member

Default Sawzall/recip saw

My marketing company is testing a gas powered model for a local company. Testing durability and working on pricing. So far it it works as well as any other recip saw we have tried. May be a tad slower in cutting speed because gas engine RPM is slower than an electric motor. Cuts wood, sheetmetal, heavier gage steel w/o any issues. I could send you a pix. Works great. 2 stroke. Lightweight. No battery constraints. PM me for more info
    Last edited by Bkfm; 09-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have any experience with Hilti Cordless sawzalls? How would they match up with the various DeWalt models?

Forum Member

Good question. Got access to both so you can test and report? T.C.

Forum Member

On our Rescue Squad we have a 13 amp corded Milwaukee and a 24v Dewalt (with 3 batteries and a corded adaptor).

On the Rescue Engine we just have a 13 amp corded Milwaukee. We have had good luck with both saws. Having cars in ditches, down embankments, or far out into a field is fairly common for us so having the option of a reliable cordless saw to get things started is an asset to us.

Also, as was stated above, the blade is just as important as the saw. Before we really sat down and evaluated our heavy rescue equipment cache we had a hodgepodge of assorted blades that were really inadequate for what we wanted them to do. Since investing in better blades we have had much better luck.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THTMAN View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Hilti Cordless sawzalls? How would they match up with the various DeWalt models?
    We use the Hilti WSR-650A 24 volt and have had no problems with it. With the Robo Pak you get a great extended period of use. As for the Dewalt, I own an 18 volt sawzall for basic household use and the only major difference I can see is the fully charged battery life. The 24 volt last much longer on a full charge, but that could be the age or chemistry of the battery.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

My 2 cents
    If I only had one recip on the rig it would be corded with a good generator for mobility. I have been on scenes where all the batteries from all the cordless saws where used up, luckily we had our corded saw. We stayed corded because the ambulance here actually carries cordless saws, so we get the best of both.

corded saws I like this one great being so adjustable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-9.../dp/B0000ASDMK

cordless I like this one had good luck so far.
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC305K-...9198637&sr=1-3

for both corded and cordless saws the one feature that gives me trouble is the blade changing mechanism. the spring loaded turn type can kinda get gunked up and slow you down.

Good luck and yes the blade is just as if not more important, than what type of cordless saw you get.

Forum Member

Default Cordless Sawsall

We have 2 saws on the rescue both are corded. No batteries, we have discussed and I think that a cordless is good for quick down and dirty but if doing cutting of the posts I would feel better using one with a cord. Also use the best blade you can it makes all the differance in the world. Another thing when you get your sawsall pratice,pratice, pratice. Know how to cut because you can have some delay if you have to keep changing blades because they are bending and breaking.
    Good Luck and stay safe.

Forum Member

Get both corded and battery.. you'll get about one windshield cut out on one battery.. haha but seriously think about getting both..
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Thread Information