Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Default E-One

The Scopes were 90 days late, I hope Ferrara is ready for the warranty claims.........

Forum Member

Now we'll have to see if Ferrara can satisfy the FDNY. Good luck Ferrara, you'll need it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aerialbabe View Post
    As promised,

E-One lays off employees at 3 Ocala plants

By Carlos E. Medina...

E-One specializes in aluminum vehicles, which are not as popular in areas that routinely get snowfall, because the salt used to melt ice and snow causes corrosion...

The author obviously doesn't know ..... from shineola. Perhaps works for Pierce?

Company is debt free (what other mfg can claim thiis?), recently purchased and is reopening a factory to build a new product line (SS bodies), recently purchased the leading building of vac tankers.

Dumped a couple hundred dead wood when they seperated from FedSig.

Yeah, sure signs of going out of business.

Forum Member

Default E-One

Not sure about the relevance of the Pierce comment however I think your right on target, E-One will be back soon.

Forum Member

The rumor mill is also saying that they are planning on shutting down for a week or two sometime soon. I know that Pierce shuts down for a week every summer so there may not be much to this.
    Last edited by sven73; 07-30-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

I think alot of large companies (GM, Ford, Pierce, E-One, etc) shut down for a week for the 4th of July. If it was longer, then I would associate this with slow production, low orders, etc. I worked at a tool and die shop for a few years and we had a shut down around July 4th.

The same holds true for shutting down around Christmas and New Years. I think the main thing to look at is the length of the shutdown and if it falls around a holiday.

Talking

When I worked for a large tool , hardware, electronics, manufacturing conglomerate with over 60 plants in North America, they shut down the entire operation for two or three weeks every August so that the majority of employees could have their family vacations while the kiddies were on summer break. It also allowed the company to keep the production systems running without vacations leaving sporadic gaps in needed personnel.
    The only division that didn't shut down was transportation, we kept most of our trucking fleet busy doing interplant moves, and picking up from vendors across the nation.

Slow downs in production/orders where usually adjusted by lengthening the Christmas / New years closing a few days either side.

Forum Member

Can anyone tell me why E-One no longer has a dealer in the Baltimore Wahington Area. Will they have a new dealer soon as it has been nearly 2 years since they had a dealer.They used to sell quite a few rigs in this area, now not so many, if any.
    Last edited by totheroof; 07-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Forum Member

To date, there is still no E-One dealer for MD, DE, and the eastern half of VA. The dealership that used to have this area, American Fire that was located in Woodbridge VA, abruptly folded but I'm not sure what the reasons were other than financial. One of E-One's bigger customers in these parts is Anne Arundel County who has purchased quite a few E-Ones over the past years. I'm sort of suprised that E-One has not established a new dealership in this area. I've heard rumors (and that's all they are!) that AA Co. may switch to Pierce if E-One doesn't get a new dealer/service center in the Balto/DC area. There is another rumor floating around that the current Crimson dealer in this area may be switching to E-One but it hasn't happened and who knows if it ever will. That's all I've heard.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    I'm sort of suprised that E-One has not established a new dealership in this area.
    I am surprised that the area is still selling factory direct myself. But keep in mind that dealerships are independent owners/operators and it takes a lot of cash to start one from scratch. Good luck finding investors who want to sink money into an industry that is suffering from the tightening (or strangling) of municipal budgets that MAY start to recover in another couple of years. Not to mention, sell a truck today, get paid a year from now. Best bet, find an established dealership who is willing to jump ship.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=firepiper1;1193103]But keep in mind that dealerships are independent owners/operators and it takes a lot of cash to start one from scratch. Good luck finding investors who want to sink money into an industry that is suffering from the tightening (or strangling) of municipal budgets that MAY start to recover in another couple of years. /QUOTE]

Exactly. With this in mind, I wouldn't doubt that Oshkosh may have difficulty in finding a buyer for their Pierce dealership in MD/VA/DE (used to be Singer Assoc.) that they took over, especially if they want to keep it as a single dealership and not have to split it up for the three states. Many feel that it will more likely we sold to more than one buyer and split in some form or fashion.

Forum Member

From what I understand they have a specific amount of time to find a new buyer for the dealership, I believe it is a year. I don't know what happens after that but was told that was Md. law.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sven73 View Post
    From what I understand they have a specific amount of time to find a new buyer for the dealership, I believe it is a year. I don't know what happens after that but was told that was Md. law.
    I know that Pierce would LIKE to keep the current dealership in one piece with all of the five service facilities operating as they now do. However, it they can't find a buyer to take it all, Oshkosh may have to split up the dealership over the three states which could mean that the new buyers may want to use their own existing service facilities (if they already have them) rather than buy the facilities that were formerly owned by Singer and now by Oshkosh. It may get a little messy if this happens. One thing for sure, Oshkosh will not let the Pierce dealership in the MD/VA/DE area just go away like what did happen with the E-One dealership. Pierce sells too well in this area and has a lot of strong customers to let this happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pierce Results

Oshkosh Quarter Results: Excerpts from results:

Defense and Access made sales and profit improvements,

Fire & emergency segment sales for the third quarter of fiscal 2010 decreased 15.6 percent compared with the prior year quarter. The decrease in sales reflected lower shipments due to softer demand attributed to declining municipal budgets in the U.S. and overall economic weakness.

Operating income decreased 46.6 percent in the third quarter of fiscal 2010 compared with the prior year quarter operating income.

Again, sounds like a market wide trend.

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Oshkosh Quarter Results: Excerpts from results:

Defense and Access made sales and profit improvements,

Fire & emergency segment sales for the third quarter of fiscal 2010 decreased 15.6 percent compared with the prior year quarter. The decrease in sales reflected lower shipments due to softer demand attributed to declining municipal budgets in the U.S. and overall economic weakness.

Operating income decreased 46.6 percent in the third quarter of fiscal 2010 compared with the prior year quarter operating income.

Again, sounds like a market wide trend.
    Agreed. But the Nitwits in Washington(DC)still think EVERYTHING is Rosy. Somebody better wake up SOON. T.C.

Forum Member

Ah, stop worrying. They have drained the swamp! All is good! We know what we are doing! Trust us! No really, trust us! We are from the government and we are here to help. (sigh)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Agreed. But the Nitwits in Washington(DC)still think EVERYTHING is Rosy. Somebody better wake up SOON. T.C.
    The nitwits in Washington (mostly lawyers) are clueless what the real world is like. Most of the money they make is paid by the over taxed private citizens and the private business sector which they know nothing about. Business is always booming in DC.

Thread Information