Forum Member

Default E-One makes some layoffs

Sources say fire truck manufacturer E-One laid off about 40 employees Thursday at its three plants in Ocala.

Calls to the locally-based manufacturer were not immediately returned, but sources confirmed there were a number of layoffs.

“I’ve been getting calls all day. Those who were laid off got severance packages of a week’s pay for every year they worked there,” said Wendy Freet, who was released by the company last week after working there for more than 14 years.

“The last time I looked at the schedule, I noticed there were no orders for October,” Freet said.

The company, which sells its products worldwide, is a leading manufacturer of emergency vehicles. It was established in 1974 and has approximately 800 employees, according to the company’s website.

In recent years, the company and the entire fire truck segment have seen a slip in sales of new fire apparatus. E-One was particularly hit hard, and since 2007 has laid off between 200 and 300 workers. How many of those positions have been refilled is unclear as the company does not comment on fluctuations in its work force numbers.

The layoffs come on the heels of a July 14 press release by the company announcing the opening of a 75,000-square-foot facility in Hamburg, N.Y. That facility will manufacture stainless steel fire vehicles, as well as refurbish them.

E-One specializes in aluminum vehicles, which are not as popular in areas that routinely get snowfall, because salt used to melt ice and snow causes corrosion. The company is trying to expand into the stainless steel market.
    Trucknews/evehiclenews.com

Forum Member

Our local newspaper, the Ocala Star Banner, printed an update (or retraction) to this story from yesterday. Funny thing, though, they haven't posted on their website yet. The source noted in yesterday's story, is not even mentioned in the update. Locally, this paper is known for not checking their sources or facts before they put them in print. I'll post again as soon as the update comes on line.

Forum Member

Post Economy !

New truck sales are down everywere in the fire service, not just at E-One. With large cities and small towns laying off public workers, police, firefighters, etc. They just can not afford to spend $ 500k- and up on a apparatus at this time, so many are repairing what they have and will wait till the economy gets better!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    With large cities and small towns laying off public workers, police, firefighters, etc. They just can not afford to spend $ 500k- and up on a apparatus at this time, so many are repairing what they have and will wait till the economy gets better!
    Dover, DE must not be one of those cities. They are getting ready to drop over $900K on a Pierce PUC rearmount aerial. Not even going out to bid...

Forum Member

As promised,

E-One lays off employees at 3 Ocala plants

By Carlos E. Medina

Published: Friday, July 23, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, July 23, 2010 at 9:30 a.m.

Fire truck manufacturer E-One laid off about 40 employees Thursday at its three plants in Ocala, according to a company spokeswoman.

“Municipal markets are down around the country and it was in response to that,” said Amanda Gummer, marketing and communications manager for the company.

“It's really a small percentage of the total workforce,” she said.

Gummer said there is plenty of work for the remaining workers with a seven-month back log of orders to fill.

The company, which sells its products worldwide, is a leading manufacturer of emergency vehicles. It was established in 1974 and employs approximately 800 employees, according to the company's website.

In recent years, the company and the entire fire truck segment has seen a slip in sales of new fire apparatus. E-One was particularly hit hard, and since 2007 has laid off between 200 and 300 workers. How many of those positions have been refilled is unclear as the company does not release specific fluctuations in its workforce numbers.

The layoffs come on the heels of a July 14 press release by the company announcing the opening of a 75,000-square-foot facility in Hamburg, New York. That facility will manufacture stainless steel fire vehicles, as well as refurbish them.

E-One specializes in aluminum vehicles, which are not as popular in areas that routinely get snowfall, because the salt used to melt ice and snow causes corrosion. The company is trying to expand into the stainless steel market.

The facility was owned by a rival fire truck manufacturer, which closed the plant last year.

The New York plant did not factor in the Ocala layoffs, Gummer said.

In 2007, E-One indicated it was considering relocating the business, then a subsidiary of Federal Signal Corp. In 2008, the company was sold to current owner American Industrial Partners, based in New York.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by 10House View Post
    Not even going out to bid...
    Odd purchasing laws in DE?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Odd purchasing laws in DE?
    Not at all. Tagging onto another contract.

Forum Member

7 month backlog? how many come offline per week/ month i wonder? i guess that sounds about right if you were to order a new one though.

Forum Member

Maybe the final bell for E-One, who knows. American LaFrance and others, went along the same road. Starting laying off since they weren't getting orders and building apparatus.

Now E-One is opeing up an old factory in the New England area hoping it can stimulant buisness. ALaF moved from Elmira, NY to Bluefield, WV and left there and God knows what they are doing now?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I dont think its the final bell, but it signals more tough roads ahead for manufacturers. Sales are definitely way down in Ohio, over 50% from a couple of years ago. One of the local "Big Three" dealers had a sales rep retire. Instead of replacing him with another salaried employee, the new guy will be commission only and responsible for paying 1/2 of the fuel costs for using demo trucks with the dealership picking up the other 1/2.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by 10House View Post
    Not at all. Tagging onto another contract.
    Thanks, I don't know why I the world I didn't think of that.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Interesting to see what remains of apparatus builders. We have E-One with no business/production past October, American LaFrance with doors shut but not locked shut yet, and I had heard Seagrave is building trucks with NO warranty. Seagrave interests me... I am curious if they are building without warranty so that they can slowly shut down? I am not sure who would buy something like a piece of fire apparatus without any type of warranty.

Forum Member

Seagrave was a no-show at the Fire Expo in Baltimore this year. Not sure what that really means but it doesn't look good. This is what ALF has been doing for the past couple of years and we know where they are headed. Only time will tell.

On another note, Spartan displayed their new 99.5" width Gladiator cab at the Balto expo. Pat Patton said it will go into full production in October. And guess what, it had LED headlights! I asked the price and was told $1400 a set.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spartan Results: Excerps from their finacial report.
    Spartan Motors Reports Second Quarter 2010 Results
    Spartan posted a net loss for the quarter of $2.6 million
    Fire Truck Chassis and FireTruck Bodies (down 22 percent and 19 percent respectively),
    Sounds like an industry wide trend to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    Seagrave was a no-show at the Fire Expo in Baltimore this year. Not sure what that really means but it doesn't look good. This is what ALF has been doing for the past couple of years and we know where they are headed. Only time will tell.
    Heard from several folks at Firehouse Expo that Seagrave is selling trucks now without any warranties aside from those offered by the component manufacturers.

Then today I heard that they may have filed for Chapter 11. Anybody heard the same or know what is really going on with Seagrave?

Forum Member

I heard from several reps from some of Seagrave competitors (so take this news for what it is worth) that Seagrave did not display at the Fire Expo in Baltimore last week due to cost. It's rather expensive for the apparatus manufacturers at the Fire Expo as compared to the Harrisburg PA show in May which is much cheaper. Seagrave is not in good shape right now and money is tight. I wouldn't doubt at all if they did file Chapter 11 or are about ready to do so. Around these parts, when Seagrave has provided a bid they have usually been the high bidder. The only companies that have bought new Seagraves are staunch Seagrave customers that didn't have to go with the low bidder. I heard recently that Kentland in PG County just placed an order for a new Seagrave Aerialscope to replace their old one. I doubt that they really wanted any other type of aerial tower so Seagrave probably had a lock on this one. I don't think Seagrave can stay afloat on Aerialscope orders alone!

Forum Member

Default Seagrave

10 House, you seem to have the crystal ball their in Marydel..........I love these guys whom said they heard, heard from who? Typical firehouse kind of guy.

Forum Member

IF it were true i feel comfortable saying the ol FDNY warranty could be a contributing factor

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit View Post
    IF it were true i feel comfortable saying the ol FDNY warranty could be a contributing factor
    It's called mis management.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit View Post
    No doubt, this has to be a huge expense that could easily break the bank. Also, wasn't the last rounds of scopes extremely late with insane penalty clauses?

Forum Member

Default E-One

The Scopes were 90 days late, I hope Ferrara is ready for the warranty claims.........

Forum Member

Now we'll have to see if Ferrara can satisfy the FDNY. Good luck Ferrara, you'll need it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aerialbabe View Post
    As promised,

E-One lays off employees at 3 Ocala plants

By Carlos E. Medina...

E-One specializes in aluminum vehicles, which are not as popular in areas that routinely get snowfall, because the salt used to melt ice and snow causes corrosion...

The author obviously doesn't know ..... from shineola. Perhaps works for Pierce?

Company is debt free (what other mfg can claim thiis?), recently purchased and is reopening a factory to build a new product line (SS bodies), recently purchased the leading building of vac tankers.

Dumped a couple hundred dead wood when they seperated from FedSig.

Yeah, sure signs of going out of business.

Forum Member

Default E-One

Not sure about the relevance of the Pierce comment however I think your right on target, E-One will be back soon.

Forum Member

The rumor mill is also saying that they are planning on shutting down for a week or two sometime soon. I know that Pierce shuts down for a week every summer so there may not be much to this.
    Last edited by sven73; 07-30-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information