+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default More military advice for Brian

Seeings how our beloved guru Brian is leaving soon for Leonard Wood, lets see how many pieces of advice we can extend to him.

Positive advice that is.

Mine is this,

1. Arrange to stash some cough drops somewhere. Reason- If one recruit shows up with a cold or cough or anything similar, everyone will catch it. You will be able to sell the cough drops for a buck apiece.

Forum Member

I have one bag of Hall's from Sams Club, might be going back for another 2. Saw that in a boot camp prep article, been scouring for info ever since signing. This would have been easier when I was 19 and knew everything already....

Forum Member

Former E-5th Bat 10th Inf trainee here. If you don't like the weather there, wait 5 minutes. It'll change.

My advice? Don't be first, don't be last. Do EXACTLY what your sgt tells you, as quickly as humanly possible. Be a gray man, just part of the crowd. Be ready for your sgt to be in your face so close you can check for cavities, just look through him. By the end of BCT, you'll have a ton of stories to tell. That was probably the best 10 weeks of my life.

Forum Member

Read over the new PT plans, lots more stuff like shuttle runs and obstacle courses. I'm liking the increase in rounds fired on the range too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian, if you are put on "dorm guard"/fire watch/security" for your dorm at night be cautious of the "security control" access duty. Closely inspect all IDs presented for entry and compare against the authorized entry list; no exceptions. I have seen them flash a ID card quickly with a picture of Magilla Gorilla or Elvis Presly on it or show up at a door carrying a huge load of boxes stating they are the Base Commander and demanding entry where they supposedly can;t get to their ID or the boxes are coxvering ytheir faces, make them put the boxes down and show the ID.

Oh yea, and practice up on making a collared ( use adollar bill to measure it) hospital cornered bed. Tight enough to bounce a quarter back up into your hand!

Oh yeah and "Thanks" for putting in your time on that side of "service to country". Welcome to the "vets side of things".Be prepared to chnage your way of thinking on how your view some things.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Forgot about the bed sheet corners, I haven't done that since I was about 8.

I'll have to pass the tip on checking IDs to the youngin's in the platoon, I don't think they'll know Elvis. After all Jay Leno finds those people on the street every day that can't name "common" knowledge items...

Forum Member

Another one is, bring your own running shoes and be like a fly on the wall and you have a good chance to get by the drill instructors.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and when you think you have had enough hydrate some more. Thanks for serving the Country and good luck. By the way the youngsters will probably have the most issues with PT and not the "old timer".

Forum Member

Default Ft. Lost in the Woods

I attended boot camp and AIT (Combat Engineer) at Ft. Lost in the Woods. Will never go back there, ever!

Some good advice: You just want to be a face in the platoon. Any unnecessary attention and the DI will dog you.

When I was there, we had a recruit that did the ultimate sin to really make the drill instructor irate: The recruit whistled at the drill instructors wife!

You have never seen an irate DI until a recruit messes with his wife. I thought that DI was going to kill everybody.

Get your head shaved, wear your uniform flawless and be a face in the platoon. No unecessary attention that will single you out.

Anyone in your platoon that is overweight (ate too many Twinkies) is going to get dogged. Hope you make and keep your weight requirements.

Good luck in your military training!

Forum Member

Most have told me recently to just buy shoes there along with everything else. They've been telling everyone they bought the wrong stuff from shoes to skivvies and socks so just going with the bare minimum in a backpack and dealing with it when I get there. New PT regimen looks fun, doing some of those exercises now to get used to them. Can do the stuff, just slower off the line than I used to be.

Forum Member

buying sneaker there may be a better idea. They'll have a few plain styles in stock, unless yours are very plain, I might be inclined to leave them. Maybe just a basic toiletries kit would be about it. You can't pack enough to last you 8 weeks.
    When I was there, reading materials were limited to your skills book (smart book! STill have mine), the bible or letters from home. I think we were limited to about $50 in cash. Not sure what the deal was as far as locks, I know we had 2, not sure if you could take your own. LOCK YOUR LOCKER 100% OF THE TIME!! If you're out of arms reach, lock it!! We had sgt's that loved to turn your crap sideways, and leave a note in shaving cream that they did it.

Forum Member

I've heard the lock thing from many people, those are coming from home. Problem I'm going to have it remembering the new number since I still can't get my high school locker combo out of my head. My running shoes are about shot from use now, need a new pair anyway so figured I'd just get them there. Most of the liquids (shaving cream, etc) I'm figuring on getting there too since I won't be planning to check anything on the flight. Don't want to deal with trying to stick with the group and have to go grab checked luggage.

Any comments from anyone about the Q-tips & cotton balls for cleaning the M16? Good, bad, indifferent?

Forum Member

I don't remember needing anything that wasn't provided when we cleaned weapons. If you absolutely need them, Im sure the px will have them. I think we got a trip weekly, probably on Sunday. Speaking of which, Basic was probably the last time I went to church regularly. 1 hour of peace made a difference every week.

Forum Member

Default Basic training

Another item that is held very high in basic training, is mail call. Take some Forever Stamps (40 or so) along with you. You can buy paper, envelopes and a pen at the PX. A list of addresses of those you write to, is helpful.

The younger generation is very engaged in texting and cell phones. When those are taken away, they will be lonely. US Mail, along with an occasional phone call, is what will connect you to family and friends.

Forum Member

I figured on bringing alot of stamps, have to write the kids. Well the 4 year old anyway, 8 month old will probably just chew on them to help with the teething.

Forum Member

As was referred to in another thread.

I know that your weather in Katy will definitely, definitely have you climatized for Fort L.W.

Be sure an let us know what your starting weight was and ends up as.

Oh, and how many average push ups it takes to get your mail. (Make sure not to give your address out to the other recruits or your libel to get mail from them as a joke to increase your numbers.)
    Last edited by jam24u; 07-26-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Forum Member

I've been watching the weight and the waist, I seemed to get stuck around 230+ for a while but then realized the belly button measurement dropped 3 inches from 40 at MEPS to the current 37 and now I'm down around 221. I want to see if I can get to under the 215 mark before I go. I'll be very surprised if I get below 205 but will be happy at anything under 215. Last time I was that weight was when the BMI was around 4% body fat while managing the gym in college, 14 years ago...

I'm sure the Mrs will have my daughter writing every other day if not every day. Lots of pushups in my future....but they'll be happy pushups.

Forum Member

RE locks: 1st lesson I remember from Sam. A lock is not secured until you pull on it to verify it is latched. Applys for guard duty, as Squad leader inspecting, and as a troop. I always used key lock with key on dog tag chain. quicker than a combination lock.

Stop at a good gun shop and ask about AR15/M16 cleaning equipment some great compact cleaning kits available now. I think Sam is issuing better stuff now but at basic???

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=bigMike105;1192036]I don't remember needing anything that wasn't provided when we cleaned weapons. If you absolutely need them, Im sure the px will have them. I think we got a trip weekly, probably on Sunday. Speaking of which, Basic was probably the last time I went to church regularly. 1 hour of peace made a difference every week.[/QUOT
    Last edited by dfd701; 07-30-2010 at 01:39 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian I just got back from 3 days at FLW getting eldest girl child set up. Be happy you have a guaranteed room. on-base housing is non existent and rental property is scarce. Lucked up and found an apartment close to post. of course it was on the 3rd floor as my bum knee will attest

Forum Member

Something tells me it won't be a Tempurpedic or SleepNumber for me though, no matter what floor I'm on.

I wish we could go key locks but all I'm hearing is combination locks. Lucked out while food shopping and found a matched set of combo locks with the same combo so won't have to memorize 2 different numbers while I'm there if I lose one. Reminds me have to pick up 2 bags of Halls tomorrow at Sam's Club, and a boatload of stamps. See if I can't get me out of some fire watch shifts...

Forum Member

Brian what we did with the beds is used the pillow cover to sleep under. We left the bed made. When we got up all we had to do was straighten it up. Also we used blousing rubbers under the blankets to tighten them up. You can buy them in an army navy store or px. Also when I was there some people didn't have sneakers so they had to run in combat boots until they could get to the px in about a week. I would highly suggest taking them. As far as anything else I would pretty much only take bathroom supplies. You might want to also take shoe shining supplies and brass cleaning supplies. The boots will need polished. You might need to clean the brass on your uniform.

Forum Member

Recruit SGT told me when he went through Benning they checked for people sleeping on the covers, not using their bar of soap to keep the tray clean, and that sort of thing to make sure everyone was actually using their stuff and putting it back the right way. Was going to wear the sneakers I've been running in now, mostly plain. Not going to bother with shampoo either. Supposedly the PX trip is on Day 1 now of reception so shopping won't be an issue. I hope....T-minus 5 days....

MembersZone Subscriber

Make sure you give me a call if you have any time off post so I can come down and see you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chip5018 View Post
    Brian what we did with the beds is used the pillow cover to sleep under. We left the bed made. When we got up all we had to do was straighten it up. Also we used blousing rubbers under the blankets to tighten them up. You can buy them in an army navy store or px. Also when I was there some people didn't have sneakers so they had to run in combat boots until they could get to the px in about a week. I would highly suggest taking them. As far as anything else I would pretty much only take bathroom supplies. You might want to also take shoe shining supplies and brass cleaning supplies. The boots will need polished. You might need to clean the brass on your uniform.
    Wow blousing rubbers being used in my dorm would have brought a raging DI straight into my face. Never wore anything but class A uniform shoes or combat boots in basic training; when did they start allowing you to use "running shoes". HHHHMMMHH, I can't recall taking time to change into running shoes on a battlefield. Guess I am showing my age here though.LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information