Forum Member

Default 24/48 versus 48/96 Shifts

We have a combination department that has just been re-vamped due to an increase in Full Time Staff. Our Chief has been asked to put together a new staffing level plan with full-time members and volunteers. Well he has put a committee together to review shift schedules ... Looking to switch to a 48/96 schedule.

On paper looks good, anyone running 48/96 looking for an inside scoop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    We have a combination department that has just been re-vamped due to an increase in Full Time Staff. Our Chief has been asked to put together a new staffing level plan with full-time members and volunteers. Well he has put a committee together to review shift schedules ... Looking to switch to a 48/96 schedule.

On paper looks good, anyone running 48/96 looking for an inside scoop.

Try this:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113305 (Benefits / Disadvantages of 24/48)

Why not a 24/72 for a 42 hr work week? That is what the DCFD works.

Forum Member

For a dept currently working a 24/48 to go to a 24/72 they would have to put on a 4th platoon. We did it in 1993, but it might not be easy to do in the current economic climate.

Forum Member

There are several Federal Fire Departments that work the 48/96. You should re-post this in the Fed/Military Topics.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

FWD, I thought the Fed version was a 48/72? I don't think a 48/96 works with less than three platoons.
    Last edited by sfd1992; 07-25-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    FWD, I thought the Fed version was a 48/72? I don't think a 48/96 works with less than three platoons.
    The Federal version is a group chart.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks for the tips.
    We hav (3) platoons with full time drivers and officers. We run just a pumper, rescue and a ALS type III rig. F
    It looks like the driver of the is to aid in recruitment and plus some cost benefits (on paper).
    Moving to new schedule does allow some key resources to fill some gaps. But what does morale look like for the squad?
    Some articles say fatigue on this schedule is worse...thoughts expeiences

Forum Member

Default 48/96

We have been working the 48/96 schedule for several years and we may never go back. Previously we worked the WOWOWOOOO. We switched because many of us live 2+ hours away and the 48's reduced our commuted by half from 10 per month to only five. Moralle went up because every day we went home was a four day. The days of the inbetween day are over.

We are a fairly slow department, however, there are many large cities on this schedule. During our research we found that Albequerque had been running this schedule for many years. We are in Colorado. The largest department in Colorado working this schedule is West Metro Fire (westmetrofire.org). They are a large, busy department that runs ALS and transports. If they can do it, anyone can.

Bottom line- We will never go back.

Forum Member

Default 48/96

Check out prop48/96. just google it and you can see which Depts use it. Who likes it and different variations of the 48/96

MembersZone Subscriber

We switched to the 48/96 shift at the first of the year. We are on our one year trial and do not believe we will go back. I love leaving the firehouse and going on a four day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool 48/96 Rocks.....

This is a post that I put here from "anybody using the 48/96 schedule":

Part of my last Dept. and my current Dept. have the 48/96 schedule. My .02 is that it's the best schedule, especially for large area Depts. that the members have to drive a ways.

The benefits I have noticed: Works excellent for Depts. that cover a huge area (my last Dept. covers the largest County in the U.S.) or have high congestion (I suggest modifying the start time of the Tours), doesn't seem like your always at work since there is a longer break than 1 or 2 days, in a (10) day cycle you are actually with your family more which is great for those who work at busy Stations, doing a shift swap or taking a Tour off gives you (10) days off straight, when you start a project on your 1st day you can leave it and come back to it the 2nd day without having to worry about another Crew moving your tools/equipment, you drive to work a maximum of 2 times a week as opposed to 3 to 4 times (fuel and vehicle wear and tear savings), Crews that are super busy should be given the latitude to "sleep in" when they've been up all or most of the night, you can live a further distance away from work since when you're at work you're there for (2) days and we all usually have to drive to work anyways, and it's still a (56) hrs. work week.

The disadvantages I have noticed: You're at work (2) days straight (I've missed my oldest daughters 1st tooth coming out), you work the day before/after on holidays (easy to adjust, just celebrate the holiday either the day before or the day after the actually holiday) and busy stations are running for (2) days straight (we usually go home our 1st day and sleep anyways so it's better to sleep off (2) days rather than (1) and still have (3) more days off) and busy stations should not be overtasked with "busy work" (either rotate the responding Units out or leave them alone, use your slower stations for the "busy work" they need the work to stay active anyways).

Well, that's how I see this work schedule. My current Dept. has had this schedule for 20+ years and we will never go to another schedule due to our drive. My former Dept. still has this schedule in their outlying areas that have huge drives to get to them. Most members I talked to from my former Dept. liked the schedule.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information