Forum Member

Default Civilians replaced by military?

Will civilians ever be replaced by military firefighters some day? I know we cost a lot more, what do you guys think?

Forum Member

its the other way around... military has slowly been getting replaced by civ's forever. unless its changed in the two years since i got out, but i recently talked to an Army recruiter about going back on active duty (i was a Marine), and he said it would be pretty much impossible for me to get back into firefighting with the Army because they were getting rid of it as an MOS. I take it with a grain of salt b/c it is a recruiter telling me this, but even the Marines slowed down the amount of people they were sending to fire school a couple years back.

Forum Member

You are a Marine, and you were talking to an Army recruiter???? Son, you need to have your head examined!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I assume you are referring to replacing civilian FFs in the US (i.e. working for the city, county, etc.) with military FFs. No, I don't think this will ever happen, or not at least with a SIGNIFICANT shift in views about separation of military and government.

Now, if you're talking about civilian contractor FFs being replaced in the US and overseas, I doubt it except in an extremely active combat zone. For the cost of maintaining a servicemember (benefits, per diems, housing, training, insurance, etc), even paying the $120k for a contractor is a deal.

I have not heard anything official about any service disbanding the FF MOS. However, there have been many rumors about it. As the way we fight has changed, the needs have changed and we have used more contractors. However, I think you'll still see National Guard FF involvement (as needed) in the large fires common in California and National Parks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zzyyzx View Post
    I assume you are referring to replacing civilian FFs in the US (i.e. working for the city, county, etc.) with military FFs.
    I am pretty sure he is speaking of replacing Civilian DoD firefighters who are assigned to Federal installations worldwide.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your recruiter is very ignorant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You are a Marine, and you were talking to an Army recruiter???? Son, you need to have your head examined!

lol... going back but in the Army will give me more duty station options for my wife to be able to keep her job and transfer (she makes the money in the household), or to get stationed at fort bragg, keep my house, and commute everyday. it's really just about convenience, and the Army taking better care of families than the Corps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ridebmxnc View Post
    lol... going back but in the Army will give me more duty station options for my wife to be able to keep her job and transfer (she makes the money in the household), or to get stationed at fort bragg, keep my house, and commute everyday. it's really just about convenience, and the Army taking better care of families than the Corps.
    I was a DoD Firefighter for 10 years...4 years Navy, and 6 years Army, at a very large research & development/testing facility on the east coast. That entire 6 years I wondered if it was the United States Army or the Mexican Army.......

Forum Member

Yeah just wondering about military replacing civilian dod ff

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREPARAMEDIC1975 View Post
    Yeah just wondering about military replacing civilian dod ff
    Ain't gonna happen. As the other guy said, it's quite the opposite. In fact, in the CONUS, I don't know of any facilities who use Military personnel *except* for the USAF who uses them for some airfield coverage at some of the larger facilities.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Ain't gonna happen. As the other guy said, it's quite the opposite. In fact, in the CONUS, I don't know of any facilities who use Military personnel *except* for the USAF who uses them for some airfield coverage at some of the larger facilities.
    Marine CFR is 100% Marines only. Structural and EMS calls on base, other than mutual aid, is handled by DOD civ's

Forum Member

USAF is about 50/50 military-civilian in the CONUS, mostly military overseas. I'd be surprised if that ratio changed significantly anytime soon.

Forum Member

Default Recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman View Post
    Your recruiter is very ignorant.
    Many recruits that show up at the recruiter's office want a certain MOS. The Army has vacancies in certain MOS's that they want filled. The recruiters therefore push the recruits into those MOS's that need to be filled.

Everything is done in the best interests of the government. If you want the Army MOS for Firefighter, then you need to inform the recruiter upfront that you are only going to enlist as a firefighter period.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    Many recruits that show up at the recruiter's office want a certain MOS. The Army has vacancies in certain MOS's that they want filled. The recruiters therefore push the recruits into those MOS's that need to be filled.

Everything is done in the best interests of the government. If you want the Army MOS for Firefighter, then you need to inform the recruiter upfront that you are only going to enlist as a firefighter period.
    i'm actually quite relieved by what he told me. i dont have any desire to go back into military firefighting... we got treated like crap (worse than regular fleet Marines) while i was in and have no desire to repeat that experience. if i go back into the military i'm going to be either a combat engineer or a cav scout and getting a job i go home from at the end of the day.

Thread Information