MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trouble shooting

I'm setting up a drill this week for the P/Os on trouble shooting and I was looking for some suggestions.

My intent is to have a multiple trucks set-up incorrectly and have the members try to figure out the issue.

i.e. Unable to establish prime... engine set-up with hard suction in porta-tank but one intake valve left open on officer's side with drain valve open.

I've got 9 trucks so I'm going to try

1- draft (inlet)
    2- cavitation (transfer valve pressure/volume)
    3- vernier throttle won't work (in pump and roll "d" not pump "n")
    4- water coming out PRV on header (relay pressure too high)
    5- Ladder rack isn't working (blown fuse from improper shut-down)
    6- Truck won't start (Emeergency shut-down pulled)

Anyone else have a good one or two?
    "We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Truck won't start. The truck was shut down and left in drive instead of Neutral with park brake.
    Unable to prime and pull a draft An outlet valve is left open.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

Try the time-tested fable of "Why can't I deliver MORE water?" or "Why is it taking so much throttle to deliver this water?"

(two-stage pump left in "pressure" when it needs to be in volume....)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Unable to prime when drafting: Someone left the intake drain valve open

Or pull the gasket out of the hard suction, see if they check that. Doesn't happen much, but it happens.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Turn the pressure relief valve all the way counter clock wise to the lowest setting while having them try to get to 150psi, in either pressure or volume mode (if it's a 2 stage pump).

If your parked on level ground, and wheels chocked, have the park brake pushed in/released, then have them try and put it in pump gear/mode with the rig running.

I have a couple others, but I don't want you to accidentally break/destroy something.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

One I've seen happen a couple of times, hook the LDH from the hydrant to the discharge instead of the intake.

Forum Member

Have a section of LDH hooked to the intake on the opposite side with the intake valve closed. Have them flow water out of the LDH discharge connection on that same side.

Opposite of the above, but seen it happen as well.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Gasket-been there, done that
    Put the suction on loose and see if they check for a tight seal.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

If you have a manual pump shift overide, disable the pump shifter and see if they can shift it manually, most depts. I work with have no idea how to do this.

If set up from draft plug the stainer a little, see if they can figure out how much water they should have compared to what they're getting.

Forum Member

Gate the hydrant back. See if they can pick up on why they cannot get enough supply.

Place a kink in the supply line. same as above

pull a draft with out a primer. Simulate a malfunction a primer.

drain the pump prior to the start of the evalution. See if they can understand the pump is cavitated and they need to prime it.

flow an attack line outside of the view of the pump operator. place a gate inline and reduce the flow. See if the pump operator picks up on this without the "attack crew" calling to say we are having flow problems. If not call the pump operator and advise him of the problem. Then see if he can figure out that everything is good on his end, that the problem is somewhere between the discharge and the nozzle. This show that he has confidence in his ablity and can say i am doing everything right. the problem is else where.

I always view problems in three groups. 1-supply problems. 2-mechanical (meaning with the pump), 2-"attack problems" discharge to nozzle.
    I find that by breaking it down in my head like this I can easily trouble shoot the problems i come across.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all of the suggestion.

Drill went quite well. I used a number of scenarios listed above, and added to FireMech1 PRV by taking out the light bulb so they couldn't see that the PRV was activated... we have had bulbs burn out in the past.

Anyways the crews worked through all the issues and figure them all out... some quicker than others.

I'll definately be added this kind of drill to the annual rotation.
    "We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saltspringfire
    Thanks for all of the suggestion.

Drill went quite well. I used a number of scenarios listed above, and added to FireMech1 PRV by taking out the light bulb so they couldn't see that the PRV was activated... we have had bulbs burn out in the past.

Anyways the crews worked through all the issues and figure them all out... some quicker than others.

I'll definately be added this kind of drill to the annual rotation.
    LMAO... Good call on pulling the bulb out on the PRV.

From the sounds of it, you got a pretty good crew, and they as well learned a few things. Good job on the drill.

FM1

Forum Member

The light doesn't work on ours, so (sadly) most of the guys just leave it alone at the setting of 150psi. I am trying to get them to go with a pressure governor on our new engine, but the salesman scared them be saying when the governors sense cavitation, they idle for at least 45 seconds before the pressure can be pumped back up. (but this is a topic for a new thread...)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CCCFire09
    The light doesn't work on ours, so (sadly) most of the guys just leave it alone at the setting of 150psi.(but this is a topic for a new thread...)
    Not to derail here, but if you need help, start a new topic. This is an easy fix.

FM1

Forum Member

all ready been done...

Thread Information