Thread: EMT-I online?

Forum Member

Default EMT-I online?

Now I always planned to take the EMT-Intermediate course before I ever go to medic school. I have been looking into a few things and with the intermediate slowly going away I have found it hard to find a course near me that I wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes to. Now its not the drive that gets me its the time. I am currently a volunteer firefighter and working 2 emt jobs.

I am normally against taking such a hands on class online. However I am not planning on ever working as an Intermediate. Just take the class and at most get my NREMT-I. To just prepare myself better for medic school while getting my basic skills down pat.

Any thoughts or ideas of what I should do?

Thanks
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Hey Man,

Well, I understand where you're coming from. But here's my 2 cents. I did my fire academy online and it was the best experience I've ever had.

Now, I'm doing my EMT-I online at a local college and I'm really excited. The bottom line is that online classes are going to be the future of most educations.

The question is, are you a self-starter? Are you motivated? Are you able to comprehend what you read without an instructor to ask all your questions?

If so, online classes are right up your alley. If not, maybe you should look into a traditional classroom-style course.

Take care,
    pete

Forum Member

Dude!! I wouldn't even worry about EMT-I!! Unless there's some immediate pay raise that's attached to EMT-Intermediate that you need, FORGET ABOUT IT!! This is purely my opinion and I'll tell you why: I'm a 24-year veteran of the fire service and began my career as an EMT-B (or EMT-Basic). The majority of EMS calls (about 80%) that the emergency responder community goes to are non-ALS (non advanced life support) calls. These are the "sickies" at 2 in the morning, back pains, non-traumatic falls (<10 feet), runny noses, "I can't sleep and haven't been able to for a week now", ....(I think you get the idea....)

Just because you go to paramedic training, the calls don't change. You're just a little bit better trained for the same ole' crap!! I was an EMT for four years and then my department put me through paramedic training. I work for a very large department and EMT is the level of training that all of us have going into paramedic school. So to answer your question: The only difference between EMT-Basic and EMT-Intermediate is being able to start intravenous lines, a couple of basic cardiac drugs, and EKG Monitoring. SO WHAT!!! My opinion is don't waste your time with EMT-I, and get ready for medic school now. Pick up a couple books on pharmacology, pathophysiology and EKG Monitoring, register for medic school and then call it a day!!!!

"The Axeman"

Thread Information