Forum Member

Default Frustrated by not having DD214 yet!

I know alot of you guys have been helping me out trying get things figured out for my husband leaving the Army and transitioning into a civilian FF job. We have been sending out resumes left and right for city jobs as well as DoD. His name has been pulled a few times for a few different DoD jobs. One we couldnt take because they needed him sooner than when he gets out (he is out in Nov- this was 3 months ago) and then just today we found out he didnt get another job that sounded very promising. It seemed to boil down to not having his DD214 yet.

We did have his NCO write a letter stating that he is active duty and in good standing to hopfully be able to take the place of that form. How are we suppose to apply for veteran jobs without DD214!?!

This process has been so frustrating. Are we going to have to wait till he is officially OUT of the Army before we can apply for DoD jobs? Does anyone know if we will get DD214 when his terminal leave starts or on his actual end of contract?

Thanks!
    Kristina

Forum Member

he needs to go to his s1 shop and have them look up his record of service and they can write a letter for him saying what his discharge is going to be and submit that with his resume and application in place of the dd214

Forum Member

sorry but what is S1 shop?

Forum Member

its the admin shop or the headquarters element of his unit. just something from his shop wont cut it for replacing a dd214 it has to be from the headquarters element of his unit. what service is your husband in?

Forum Member

Default dd214

I didn't get my 214 until my final outprocessing appointment. I guess technically you're not a 'veteran' until you're out. Not what you're looking for, I'm sure, but I think all of the services operate that way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by timmct View Post
    I didn't get my 214 until my final outprocessing appointment. I guess technically you're not a 'veteran' until you're out. Not what you're looking for, I'm sure, but I think all of the services operate that way.
    Very true. They cannot project what kind of discharge that they think you may get. Anything can happen along the way up until the day that you get out. Ive seen guys who have had squeaky clean records get popped for drugs or a DUI a couple of days before they get out because they think they are done and *poof*...Honorable Discharge all gone. Not to say this would happen to your husband but its for that very reason that they will not just hand you your DD-214 until you out-process.

Does he get out in November as his "hard date" or is that with terminal leave?

Forum Member

Default No DD214

Here's my experience: I starting applying for jobs 6 months before I started terminal leave. On my USAJOBS package I had my resume, a DD214 supplement letter, and a copy of my professional certifications/licenses. I asked my squadron (unit) commander to write a letter explaining my service dates, expected discharge date and expected discharge status (honorable). True, you will not get your DD214 until you out-process, but you can get an official memorandum (this is just to get your qualified for 5-point veteran status). The hiring authority understands this as your husband is probably not the first applicant to come through that is separating from the service. Keep in mind, though, that he will need to produce a copy of his official DD214 upon appointment.

I had 4 job offers before I separated and actually took a break day while still active duty to drive down to my current base (8 hour drive) and start inprocessing and my physical. I had one Army offer and three AF offers, all Fire Protection. As I separated from the Air Force, I couldn't help you out too much as far as Army personnel goes, but if you guys have any questions or need help, PM me and I can answer any questions you might have.. It's a damn frustrating process, I know because I went through it a year ago, not knowing what was going to happen with a wife and two kiddos to support.

Forum Member

Thats the point where we are right now - his terminal leave starts Nov. 24th and his end of contract is Jan 24th. He has some city department interviews and apps coming up and if we can get his unit admin to supply us that letter maybe that will be acceptable.

I can understand that they cant predict what will happen but it sure makes transitioning awful hard!

Oh by the way he is Army. Thanks for the advice. He is going to go and see what he can find out at the main office and see if we can get something more specific than what his NCO made.

Thanks guys!!
    Kristina

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    Thats the point where we are right now - his terminal leave starts Nov. 24th and his end of contract is Jan 24th. He has some city department interviews and apps coming up and if we can get his unit admin to supply us that letter maybe that will be acceptable.

I can understand that they cant predict what will happen but it sure makes transitioning awful hard!

Oh by the way he is Army. Thanks for the advice. He is going to go and see what he can find out at the main office and see if we can get something more specific than what his NCO made.

Thanks guys!!
    Kristina
    it should be sufficient, i had to get one when i got out of the Marines so i could apply at Raleigh FD and a municipal FD as well. most places understand that its impossible to have a dd214 prior to a service members seperation from active duty, but as said before he will still be required to turn in a copy of his dd214 as soon as he is appointed to prove that all went as it was supposed to.

good luck with your family's transition back to the real world!

Forum Member

Kristina, I am kind of surprised that you are having problems with him getting a DoD job versus waiting for the DD214. (But then again having worked for the DoD for 10 years maybe I am not surprised.....)

Have you communicated with the "Point of Contact" listed on the job announcements? Usually the POC is a person at the Civilian Personnel Operations Center for the geographic region in which you are applying. For example, the Northeastern CPOC is located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md (well, at least it was 5 years ago.....speficially building 314, I know as I reset the fire alarm panel at least once every 2 months....lol)

Give the POC a call, and explain the situation to them, let them know you are sending a letter from his current Supervisor explaining he will be released in good standing on such-and-such a date.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

FWD - yes we actually did talk to them. He had sent me an email asking for a copy of the DD214 (which even in his resume we stated he was still active duty and supplied the letter from his NCO stating current honorable standing). I emailed him back and explained again that he was still active duty but is available in November and then I again sent him the letter. It was a DoD job so I was shocked that he disqualified him. My husband is going to go and see about the letter from the unit though and see if that will pacify the next DoD slot that comes along!

Thanks all again. I think my hair is beginning to grow back after pulling it all out! haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt View Post
    FWD - yes we actually did talk to them. He had sent me an email asking for a copy of the DD214 (which even in his resume we stated he was still active duty and supplied the letter from his NCO stating current honorable standing). I emailed him back and explained again that he was still active duty but is available in November and then I again sent him the letter. It was a DoD job so I was shocked that he disqualified him. My husband is going to go and see about the letter from the unit though and see if that will pacify the next DoD slot that comes along!

Thanks all again. I think my hair is beginning to grow back after pulling it all out! haha.
    The people vetting the resumes/packages are getting swamped right now (its the economy). I'm hearing there are upwards to a hundred of applicants for every entry level position they post on USAJobs.

If your hubby (who should really be the one posting on here and asking the questions) doesn't have the whole package together i can see why this is getting turned down.
    Hell, i got disqualified for a position for forgetting to click a button on the CPOL website. I called the army and they just told me 'tough luck'.

I would call Army Cpol and AFPC and see if there is any acceptable work around (have your husband do this) rather than post the questions on Firehouse.com. They might be able to give you some more concrete answers as to your predicament. I'm sure there is, as i have met many a FF that was offered the job /before/ he separated.

CPOL: 410-306-0137

AFPC: 1800-525-0102
    Last edited by peterbound; 07-31-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Forum Member

City Fire Departments jobs DO NOT CARE ABOUT RESUMES !!!!! Your husband has to get in line like everyone else and sit down at a desk and actually do well on an entrance exam and compete for that position!

The best way for him to get a DOD job is to apply for everything he can and not worry about leaving his family behind! You have to get your foot in the door. Once in you can transfer back to where you wan to end up working. A person who is transferring from one DOD Fire Department will most likely be hired before a new person.

Forum Member

First its good that he is getting his name out there on DOD lists but he probally should be more actively doing this and not you. Be happy he still has a job and keep putting in for DOD jobs it will come a lot easier when he is closer to getting out. I may be wrong but he can't start working a DOD job until he is out not on terminal leave. Its hard for cheifs to hire a guy who's not getting out until Jan 2011 they usally want to file these jobs within a couple months. In about Oct, Nov time period they probally will beable to hold a job for him.

Second he can get a DD 214 that has worksheet written across it is not your official one but I got hired using this one and had to send my official copy in as soon as I got it. It sounds like he is still a few months away from even getting to that process. I excepted a job before I got out but couldn't even start working until I was officially ETS'ed. The main thing that I looked for on my DD 214 was my honarble discharge and my deployment it could help for city jobs. He needs to make sure his ERB is good go talk to the transition people at your post because they are the ones who can get the ball rolling about the DD 214.

Like I said earlier he needs to call these people not you it looks better when a person who wants a job is calling not his wife.

MembersZone Subscriber

Depending on how the post doing the outprocessing is operating, he may get a DD214 worksheet/draft a few days before his permanent one is issued. This is to allow him to review it for any errors and correct them now. Make sure he brings with him multiple copies of every award, promotions, MOS awards, contracts, etc. Every time I have been issued a DD214 I find some error and they won't correct it without proof. It's best to have everything on one piece of paper.

Have your husband stop in the base Fire Station if they use DOD FFs and talk to them about the process. I know I had Soldiers when we were deployed that had interviewed for and been selected for DA/DOD Civilian jobs while we were overseas. They held the jobs for them. They weren't FF jobs, but still part of the GS/YA (or whatever they are calling it now) system. Perhaps it was because we were deployed.

Forum Member

Just to clarify - Im not making calls for him. I am just his researcher - since he isnt so good at that part. He makes all the calls and does all the footwork, not me.

Here at Rucker they are able to start before he actually ETS - so when terminal leave begins. We talked to another base chief and he said to be applying when he was 6 months out. We are only 2.5 months out. Also from what we understand it takes several months to go from being offered the job to actually starting so we should be OK with applying at this point. The chief here at Rucker said its a 6 month process but since he is currently stationed here it may move faster.

At this point I think we are concentraiting more on city deparments. Seems like the transition is smoother and there are a lot more opportunities available. We are still watching DoD but there dosent seem to be very much there right now.

With a family of 5 to support he dosent want to be without work for too long and its getting down to the wire. It all works out in the end though.

Forum Member

Okay Kristmatt, Ft. Rucker is now advertising for two GS-5 Firefighter (Stage field) Positions!

Lets hurry up and make sure your Hubby can put in for those two slots.

Forum Member

Your husband can still apply for federal firefighter positions without his DD214. Just as long as his resume is on point and it can get through the resumix computer.

Forum Member

Update: His name got selected and referred, and they have several more stagefield spots open now too. We shall see!

Forum Member

I went and got a letter in lieu of my 214 from the personnel office.

Thread Information