Forum Member

Default How many of you have a heart condition?

I have Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT), and a heart Murmur. Does anyone else have these conditions and are abe to be a firefighter? Will this hurt my chances? Although diagnosed with these conditions at birth I have never had a problem with either. Will this effect my chances at all?

Forum Member

Since you have been diagnosed, did they advise you which type of SVT you have, and did they recommend treatment. Depending on the type, it may be correctable.

I only know about this since one of my children has SVT. Hers was not treatable but is manageable.

Given this, I would think really hard on becoming a firefighter. We are exposed to so many things which will naturally increase the heart rate and respirations, this will be your issue. The heart with SVT already beats faster than normal (over 100bpm), that is the definiton of VT. Because any additonal increase in rythm causes a situation where the heart cannot relax, which usually leads to a lack of oxygen to the brain. Lightheadness and unconsciousness are direct syptoms.

Imagine that you are in the middle of a fire attack and you pass out. The guy working with you now has to change the mission.

I do understand that most individuals with SVT live normal and healthy lives. But firefighting is not normal my friend. It is not even typical, or even marginal in stress and emotions. It is very demanding and extremely tough on a body.

I am certain that there many guys out there that have SVT or a number of other cardiac issues. Most don't know it. But with cardiac events the leading cause of our issues...I really think you should sit this one out.

My daughter wanted to be a firefighter... the doctors told her no way! Imagine what goes through her mind when her dad, mom and four siblings all are firefighters. She is a great physical therapist however and treats alot of us for our issues.

Listen to the others and get their opinion. I am in no way an expert on this. But I strongly suggest that you discuss this with your doctor.

I wish you the best.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

I agree 100% with Pally,

Alot of times these things can also be dept specific, I was on the job with a guy who had wolff parkinson white syndrome.

So who knows... talk with your doctor and ask some local departments

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL View Post
    I have Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT), and a heart Murmur. Does anyone else have these conditions and are abe to be a firefighter? Will this hurt my chances? Although diagnosed with these conditions at birth I have never had a problem with either. Will this effect my chances at all?
    Murmurs can resolve themselves and can be common at birth. If you have not had any issues, it would be something to note, there is a difference of being treated and just mentioned from a physical as an infant

SVT may also have resolved, but sometimes an intervention may be needed like an ablation. I work with a FF who has had SVT in the past and did have an ablation, so it is possible to do the job. Again, just something to note, but if there haven't been issues, don't worry too much about it. There is a difference between childhood and what is determined by a doctor later. The decision does ultimately lie with the occupational doc doing the medical clearance, but if worried, either talk to your current doctor, or get a current primary doctor. If they can't find any reason you shouldn't be a FF, you would have current records.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    The heart with SVT already beats faster than normal (over 100bpm), that is the definiton of VT. Because any additonal increase in rythm causes a situation where the heart cannot relax, which usually leads to a lack of oxygen to the brain. Lightheadness and unconsciousness are direct syptoms.
    Just to give you some better info here. A tachycardia is a heart rate faster than normal sinus and considered a tachycardia when the rate is above 100 bpm. (normal sinus is a rate between 60 and 100, below 60 is consider a bradycardia) When the heart rate is between 100 and 150, narrow complexes, this is a sinus tachycardia and can have any number of causes. Exercise is a very common reason for a sinus tachycardia and since a target heart rate is usually above 100 bpm, this would not be SVT. Since many people can exercise and get their HR even above 150, they can be fine and their HR comes down with rest....basically saying majority of people have SVT at some point, but are not symptomatic.

SVT is a narrow complex tachycardia usually above 150 bpm to 250 bpm. The person can be symptomatic, as you described, or may not. SVT may require treatment or emergency treatment if the pt is unstable.

VT, on the other hand, is Ventricula Tachycardia, and is a wide complex tachycardia which can be life threatning. A VT is a tachycardia originating in the ventricle and not above.

There are several ways to treat an SVT as there are different types, sometimes an ablation is all that is needed and people who have had ablations have gone on to have active careers, even firefighters.
    Last edited by jccrabby3084; 07-29-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

jc

Thanks for that update on the description of SVT & VT

I'm up to speed on it having to deal with it over the years. I was merely trying to keep it short. I figured that manofsteel was familiar with his condition as to the type or classification and whether it was correctible.

Forum Member

I brought this up because I really never thought about it before and I never thought about it because it has NEVER bothered me. I continuously work out, and even played football in high school. I figure if it was serious I would have had some type of sign. Either way, after my written exam (wish me luck) tomorrow I'll make an appointment to see the doc

Forum Member

I was diagnosed with a slight heart mumur when i joined my hometown fire dept and toke my first dept physical. I also have asthma. As long as a doctor gives you medical clearance you should be good to go. Always consult the dept your looking to get on with.

Forum Member

I have had several broken hearts over the years.

Not saying anything about the hypertension I have too.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Suffered an MI in 2006.

Cleared by doctor and returned to full duty 6 weeks later.

Forum Member

I've been noticing some strange effects that could be froim high blood pressure or hypertension. Especially during an interior attack a week ago Wednesday.

It definitely has me wondering too!

Forum Member

First MI was in 2000, second in 2007. You would think I would get the message, right?

It usually followed an incident where I was trying to teach 'on the job' the hoseteam or another crew due to heads being in the wrong place.

There are just those times when nothing goes according to anything that resembles a plan.

It's like I tell the guys: "take care of yourself now, there won't be time later".

I add this: "it is not the things I do today that will kill me.... it is the things I did 20-30 years ago that are already well underway".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Suffered an MI in 2006.

Cleared by doctor and returned to full duty 6 weeks later.
    Doing advanced FF skills? Throwing a ladder perhaps?

Forum Member

I am a 30 yr old career FF. I workout and exercise at least 5 days a week, eat healthy and a nonsmoker. I've been with my dept going on 8 yrs and 3 weeks ago i had a massive heart attack (100% in the RCA) I'M still not sure if i will be released to go back to work. In my opinion the worst part are the calls in the middle of the night, you go from resting heart rate to svt in a split second. I love my job but with kids i would warn you about joining the fire service if you have any preexisting heart problems.

Thread Information