Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

They asked about it on the scantron but it wasn't required...to me why wouldn't u be proud of your experience?

Forum Member

Default My statement

All I'm saying is everyone deserves a chance because some does not do well on test by the way I'm an experienced firefighter both civilian and military qualified on a pumper have both Tennessee ff1 and ff2 hazmat and a emt-iv fought a few fires here and there but i feel others should deserve a chance with no experience like I did

Forum Member

Did anyone else count how many dates and times there are to do interviews? I counted about 1300 spots! Is it possible that they are going to interview that many?

Everyone does get a chance, anyone can turn in an application, its where it goes from there though. The thing with wanting to be a firefighter for Nashville is so does 5000 others. Nashville basically gets to be choosy in who they want so if they have 2000 that rank above a 7 then why not make that a cutoff. At that point you know you have people that put some effort into the physical and written. I am sure there are some that score high that might not be good firefighters but that is hopefully what the interview is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew3 View Post
    Did anyone else count how many dates and times there are to do interviews? I counted about 1300 spots! Is it possible that they are going to interview that many?
    I am not sure if everyone of those spots will be filled but I would not be surprised if it was possible or close anyways. Everyone I know that made it to the written has scored a 7 or higher and I think the number was around 2700 in the written approximately from here and other sources. The list is for 3 years, so they could be hiring a lot within that time or maybe they weed out a lot from the interview process. With the short 15 minute timeslots they will probably be going through them fast with the same questions to everyone.

Forum Member

Default Interview

As Many who made it to the outstanding category there are many who made below a 7 I know someone who made a 6 but does anyone know how the interview is conducted like what kind of questions they will ask

I guess no one knows about the interviews. I was curious about it too, but I am guessing it is on the same lines of questioning as you can find all over here. Anyways, last few days before interviews start so good luck to everyone and I hope that we hear back from them soon after all the interviews are done. I would just like to know what the actual plan is for them.

Talking questions

I'm sure you've all seen them before but the questions to my research knowledge is some where along the lines of... Your captain, on the way back from a call tells the engineer he needs to run a personal errand out side of your service district, and to pull behind the building so know one can see the truck. When you get back to the fire house the battalion chief ask you what you know about a truck being outside your district. How would you respond... No exactly verbatim but you get the gist. They are looking for people who are willing to stand by there ethics. Some of the questions were along the line of; would you turn in friends lighting off fire works in on the 4th of July in an area where they are illegal. TOUGH STUFF! I got a 9/10 and felt pretty freakin good. The only practice test made me feel like an IDIOT on some of it. But the collective one was different. GOOD LUCK to you all. Be yourself and not what you think they want you to be. My step-dad does the kind of interviews all over the US and he says they can smell a prepared answer like a fart in a car. My interview is 1-18 at 7:30 am. ROCK ON!

Forum Member

Default Interview

Basically u just talk about yourself and how you are as a person mines was December 14th the last question was a scenario question and you explain how you would handle it

Forum Member

Default Also

It's best to wear a nice suit because there were alot of guys wearing shirt and tie and Wack shoes so if u want to stand out where a suit

Forum Member

had my interview yesterday. Talked for the 15 mins and then left feeling good about it. Hopefully I get a job. I was told, and I'm paraphrasing, that "everyone is on the same plane now. We're all in the pool just the interviews decide where people go." Now to me that sounds like a big game of politics and that they get to choose who they want if they notice a name or something. I don't know maybe they will just take who has training and experience.

Forum Member

also...has anyone heard if they got the grant? I've searched and searched but have came up with nothing

Forum Member

Default Grant

I don't know myself but firefighting is a job in need so I'm sure they will come up with a way to hire more an expected class is to start in april

No they did not get the grant, I think that came out a few months ago. Not sure what the exact difference will be, but I am sure it is less getting hired than if they did and probably a little longer wait as well. They are still short personnel and looking to have some retire so I think they will still have a need to do some hiring.

Forum Member

I emailed the email address on the SAFER website and gave them some bs about writing a paper and asked when the results for the grant would be out and they said they don't have a date set so not sure how you'd know but ill take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyology View Post
    I don't know myself but firefighting is a job in need so I'm sure they will come up with a way to hire more an expected class is to start in april
    Just because you place value in this job does not mean the public does. They expect more for less. Don't hold your breath waiting for the public to agree to more tax hikes so the city can hire firefighters. Would you pay more if NFD has been getting it done short staffed for years? Why now do they need a manpower increase?

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    I emailed the email address on the SAFER website and gave them some bs about writing a paper and asked when the results for the grant would be out and they said they don't have a date set so not sure how you'd know but ill take it for what its worth.
    If you would go back and read previous post we have already talked about the SAFER grant. NFD planned to use the grant to hire around 9O recruits off a previous list. Unless NFD reapplied, the grant has nothing to do with this group.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Just because you place value in this job does not mean the public does. They expect more for less. Don't hold your breath waiting for the public to agree to more tax hikes so the city can hire firefighters. Would you pay more if NFD has been getting it done short staffed for years? Why now do they need a manpower increase?

If you would go back and read previous post we have already talked about the SAFER grant. NFD planned to use the grant to hire around 9O recruits off a previous list. Unless NFD reapplied, the grant has nothing to do with this group.
    Funny cause I'm pretty sure the list ran out before talk of a grant. And I did read the previous posts and gathered that they were hiring from this list the 80 or 90. Read this story and maybe it'll set ya straight.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/24641665/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    Funny cause I'm pretty sure the list ran out before talk of a grant. And I did read the previous posts and gathered that they were hiring from this list the 80 or 90. Read this story and maybe it'll set ya straight.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/24641665/detail.html
    Before you start telling people to read a story to straighten them out I suggest you read the story yourself. That was posted in August 15th before the process started. It even says the process ends on August 26th in the story. That was when Nashville was expecting to get the grant to hire all the firefighters. Since then they came out with the grant results and Nashville did not receive this. I know because I live right near Nashville, I have friends on Nashville and it was big talk around here. Last I hear they are still short and still need to hire people just not the large number they were hoping for. Not sure who you talked to or about what grant but the grant from that story you quoted was a no go. I have not heard anything about any new grants for hiring here either.
    Last edited by FireRescueLupo; 12-18-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Forum Member

Eh with my experience I'm not overly worried...

Forum Member

Default Interviewees

Anyone had their interview recently if so what was the black Womans name who was the paramedic sitting at the Interview panel

Thread Information