Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by docflip4884 View Post
    First off, Dont threaten me. I speak for myself and my views are my own. As the other guy pointed out this is a forum, if you can't handle other peoples input, then thats too bad. And the bit about calling my Chief, gimme a break. Ill save you a step and give you all the info you need, just PM me. I promise you they could give a damn about your hurt feelings.

Second, I never challenged what you did in the fire service, much less do I care. I'm sure you've seen your fair share and I respect that, however, the idea that all new hires should ride the box is a terrible one at best.

No one threaten you if you took it that way I am sorry.

I don't know you or where you are employed. As you don't know me. I do know, that I know a lot of folks in the fire service among them many chiefs of departments as well as other chiefs and those who are in the know as an active member of the IAFC, which being a member since 1982.

I do know that if I were inquiring about a city or its department I would go to that source to get my information. I also know how to find department as one may have seen an application notice and link, I can follow that link and find as much as I need to know about.

As far as I am concern that case is closed. He can worry about riding a box its not going to hurt him to ride it for the first year. Rookies do it every day elsewhere.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber docflip4884's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

I don't know you or where you are employed. As you don't know me. I do know, that I know a lot of folks in the fire service among them many chiefs of departments as well as other chiefs and those who are in the know as an active member of the IAFC, which being a member since 1982.

I do know that if I were inquiring about a city or its department I would go to that source to get my information. I also know how to find department as one may have seen an application notice and link, I can follow that link and find as much as I need to know about.

As far as I am concern that case is closed. He can worry about riding a box its not going to hurt him to ride it for the first year. Rookies do it every day elsewhere.
    Apology accepted, sorry I misread or misinterpretted the information. Hopefully you can understand how it was perceived. As far as the box assignment goes, agree to disagree.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Quit trying to post your credentials. No one cares how long you've been in the fire service. This is a hiring and employment thread. People come to inquire and learn about the testing process, the dept they're applying for, etc. Stop knit picking and tearing peoples posts apart as you always do.

Forum Member

I Looked at the posting..

It looks like fire and ems are two seperate divisions... but at the bottom of the application it does state if you are a member of the suppression division you will respond to ems calls. So you wont be running "Fire" only like youngstown ohio or something.

hope i helped.

Give Capt a break,

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Quit trying to post your credentials. No one cares how long you've been in the fire service. This is a hiring and employment thread. People come to inquire and learn about the testing process, the dept they're applying for, etc. Stop knit picking and tearing peoples posts apart as you always do.
    Thank you Sir. May I have another?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I feel like I have just walked into a hair salon. This has gone on a little too long now. I am fully capable of calling and finding out myself, Which I have already done before all this bickering even started. I figured I would throw a question out to see if anyone knew of any other information I hadn't already found out myself. As far as rookies riding the box, my question was asking about getting permanently placed on it. I have already found the answer to my question. Thanks for all your help. Bw21...thank you.
    Last edited by tigersfan86; 08-03-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFAlumberjack View Post

Also, if you already have your EMT or better, your start date will be 8-11 weeks later, b/c all of the recruits w/o it, go through that training first. This, I'm told is actually a disadvantage to those with their EMT, b/c after completing training you are assigned to stations based on seniority. Meaning, the guys who didn't already have their EMT have 8 weeks seniority on those who do. Sucks for them.
    Wow! Punish the guys who go to school ahead of time. This is why the fire service is short medics.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfalicious View Post
    applied a few days ago. does being a medic help at all?
    Does anybody know if medics have a better chance. Based on the above I bet not.

Is Nashville still riding 3 man compaines?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

TNFF....I'm not sure I totally understand this "guys without EMT would have more seniority than those with emt/medic." For all I know, it may totally be the truth, but I'd wait to hear it from the source before I do believe that. Because your right, that makes no sense.

Forum Member

Lumberjack-

Is it possible that you may have misinterpreted your friend about the senority issue? Along with the others I find this kinda strange. Most academies whom split the classes based on certs usually put through the new hires all together, and then will put the ones already certified into station rotation already, while the non-certified go through class.

Quote Originally Posted by tigersfan86 View Post
    From what I have been told...Nashville EMS and Fire are seperate...you're either on the box or on an engine...guys on the box dont fight fire.
    This is true, but the application states you may be moved form one to the other, Fire or EMS as needed.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

You are right. I suppose you can only hope you get rotated off of it.

Forum Member

EgressOne-
    That is exactly how it was explained to me. Again, my source is a metro paramedic, not a firefighter who's been through the process.

I did just meet a person last night that has already been to an equipment fitting and told he will be hired....and hasn't done any testing. After asking a mutual friend, I was told his dad is a metro firefighter, with some pull.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hiring List

Does anyone know if the new hires will be hired off an existing list or the list being established in the current process?

Quote Originally Posted by FFQuinn View Post
    Does anyone know if the new hires will be hired off an existing list or the list being established in the current process?
    Why would they make a new list just to hire off the old one?

Does anyone know how long after the CPAT the other test will be given?
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Because a list is good for 3 years.....once the list is exhausted, obviously they have to make a new list for the next hiring phase.

Forum Member

I believe the old list expired at the end of June 2010

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anyone schedule a physical ability test date yet? It says on the job posting that Physical Ability tests will begin on August 9, 2010.. The deadline for applications is August 26.. I'm geussing there will be multiple dates for the test. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Default Physical

I have my physical scheduled for Aug. 18th @ 1:00, I'm pretty sure it's a version of the CPAT

Forum Member

I'm scheduled for Friday. Test is gonna be cake. Only 4 or 5 events, have to walk, have 6 minutes to do it in, i think.

MembersZone Subscriber

are there certain dates you can pick from? Anyone from Nashville or know anything about their current economy??( are they planning on hiring a lot?) I currently live and work in Vegas and want to move closer to my family. My parents are now living in Nashville and it's tough for me being way out here so I'm jumping into this oppurtunity. Thanks again..
    Last edited by ArnoldFF; 08-11-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Thread Information