Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Similar to the military. You go for 12 months and must stay at the academy. Family may visit twice. It proves you are hardcore.
    If thats the case I hope they have a divorce settlement reimbursement program for those with wives and children...

half of everything we own is a lot..

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by PS3106 View Post
    I think they moved it from North Nashville to Paris Island
    Either that or most of the Instructors had been in the USMC and the operate the Academy like a Marine Boot Camp. Shaved heads, Clean uniforms and very shinned shoes. It is YES SIR, NO SIR, or I WILL FIND OUT SIR!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Either that or most of the Instructors had been in the USMC and the operate the Academy like a Marine Boot Camp. Shaved heads, Clean uniforms and very shinned shoes. It is YES SIR, NO SIR, or I WILL FIND OUT SIR!!!
    http://blog.moviepostershop.com/wp-c...tal+jacket.jpg
    Last edited by PS3106; 09-15-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Forum Member

I was told that.the.academy was.22 weeks...I don't se why u would have.to sleep over

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    I was told that.the.academy was.22 weeks...I don't se why u would have.to sleep over
    22 weeks of you do not have an EMT license. 11 if you are already an EMT or Paramedic. I am starting October 18, but those that were not EMTs began in August. No, you do not have to stay overnight. I am looking forward to having holidays off for a change. It will be the first time in 20 years.

Forum Member

Default SAFER grant

The SAFER grant that was expected by July, has been extended to October. I hope for the city and for us tentative hires that soon Nashville will get the grant. It is a great opportunity for the city to increase manpower, and for us lucky few to get hired. Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that it may not happen. I really hope I'm wrong. Any other SAFER grant tentative hires around?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was unable to test this time around because I am currently in the army. However i seperate from the army in july 2011. So I am writing to find out when someone thinks the next possible test in Nashville may be? Thanks in advance for the info.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

To be the bearer of bad news, Nashville is currently testing. Application dateline was August 26th. They will set up a new list, most likely within 6 months, that list will likely be a three year list, like previous ones.
    -However, there are so many other suburb departments surrounding Nashville. Franklin, Brentwood, Gallatin, Hendersonville, Murfreesboro, etc. I tested for many of those in the past. Worth trying, and getting some experience, and then trying for Nashville.
    -

Forum Member

I am really.excited to take the fireteam test....I moved outbof tennessee a while back and I really hope i get the.opportunity to move back and work for metro!

Forum Member

Default SAFER grant

I was not wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farkingfireman View Post
    I was not wrong.
    Sucks being right. I guess the new list will just fill spots from retirees and people who quit.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farkingfireman View Post
    I was not wrong.
    What do you mean? Did you hear that Nashville did not receive the grant? As far as I can tell there are about 30 open spots from the new list to fill the 80 or so Safer positions. I could be wrong, though. I haven't actually heard how many tentative hires there are, but I guess we know there's at least one. Congratulations!

Forum Member

i dont know about the grant or what your talking about with the 30 spots?? Are the people that passed the physical and written test coming up in october going to get hired on soon? or are they hiring people from a previous test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Sucks being right. I guess the new list will just fill spots from retirees and people who quit.
    I'm not sure if Nash has had thier DROP retirees leave yet but when they do they should be like every dept and loose quite a few guys.. making plenty of jobs.

Forum Member

Default SAFER explanation

Quote Originally Posted by FireSamba12 View Post
    What do you mean? Did you hear that Nashville did not receive the grant? As far as I can tell there are about 30 open spots from the new list to fill the 80 or so Safer positions. I could be wrong, though. I haven't actually heard how many tentative hires there are, but I guess we know there's at least one. Congratulations!
    Approximately 80 tentative hires (including myself) from June got emails a couple of days ago stating the grant funding was not going to happen. Unfortunately we will not get hired. Hopefully, most were smart enough to take the advice to reapply. That just puts our name back in hat, we have to redo all the testing, and hope we again come out on the top part of the list.

There were also 30-35 other recruits that were offered employment starting back in August.

It is reasonable to believe the city will still be down at least the 80 positions which MIGHT get filled soon. There is a reason they, and many cities, are down....budget.

Forum Member

thanks for the information.

Forum Member

what everyone score on their physical
    Last edited by mt501650; 09-19-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Forum Member

Were u supposed to get an actual score? All I got was a time.

Forum Member

Forgot my password that was me that posted before. ya all i got were times too thats what i was asking. should have been more clear

Forum Member

My time was 2 min & 6 sec. I don't know if that was good or not but the chief that was timing me said it was real good under the circumstances. I did my agility test at 3 PM on August 12. The temp was 110 w/ the heat index.

Forum Member

By thw way. I have never been in any turn out gear before.

Forum Member

ya they didnt say much but if u got around 2 mins it was good. so congrats

Forum Member

Does anyone know where to pick up a copy of the Encyclopedia of Firefighters Examinations on the cheap? Thanks

Forum Member

Anyone heard anything regarding the written? Is it a 'civil' type test, where there is the run of the mill reading, math, etc (such as in the I/O solutions firefighter inventory exam)?

Forum Member

the sheet they handed out is a fireteam test. i guess you watch a video and answer scenarios, a video of a running factory and answer questions on which is wrong, reading, and math. i took the practice test that was on the sheet they gave and thats what it was on but said it will go more in depth with more questions. its said it will be 3 hours. i wouldnt pay for the practice test. didnt help me much if u read what i told u thats basically the practice test

Thread Information