Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

i have my agility test next week hoping it goes well.

Forum Member

Default I was just hired...

from the old list. I am a Paramedic and will be starting the Fire academy October 18th. I have been applying since '99 and, to help get my foot in the door have volunteered with Metro OEM since '96 and I hope it helped get me hired as I have no family on the department, but have worked hard to get noticed.

I have a few questions that I have not asked management yet. As a Paramedic, I believe my time in the academy will be 11 weeks. Does this mean I will have Thanksgiving and Christmas off? if so, it will be the first time in over a dozen years. I am looking forward to working with NFD and have been hitting the gym every day as I am a bit older than the average recruit. I stay in good shape, however, so I hope the physical aspect will not be a problem for me.

Does anyone that has been through the academy recently have any advice for and old Medic/ new FF?

Quote Originally Posted by PS3106 View Post
    from the old list. I am a Paramedic and will be starting the Fire academy October 18th. I have been applying since '99 and, to help get my foot in the door have volunteered with Metro OEM since '96 and I hope it helped get me hired as I have no family on the department, but have worked hard to get noticed.

I have a few questions that I have not asked management yet. As a Paramedic, I believe my time in the academy will be 11 weeks. Does this mean I will have Thanksgiving and Christmas off? if so, it will be the first time in over a dozen years. I am looking forward to working with NFD and have been hitting the gym every day as I am a bit older than the average recruit. I stay in good shape, however, so I hope the physical aspect will not be a problem for me.

Does anyone that has been through the academy recently have any advice for and old Medic/ new FF?
    How many did they hire off the old list?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    How many did they hire off the old list?
    I am not sure. There were a dozen or so in my orientation, but I know there were others. I am thinking maybe 30 or so, but don't hold me to it.

Forum Member

I just received an email to set up my written exam. Anyone else hear anything?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFmedic84 View Post
    I just received an email to set up my written exam. Anyone else hear anything?
    Yeah got one a few hours ago

Forum Member

Received mine yesterday. Scheduled for the 5th. Only 2 test dates.

Forum Member

Got my email about taking the written exam on Friday. So do you think the 30 or so that were hired part of the group for the S.A.F.E.R grant that Nashville applied for? I checked out info about the practice test for FireTeam. It's video based, multi choice (like the email stated). I'd like to find out whether or not they are just rebuilding their recruit list right now or if they are planning to hire some of those who are trying out now.

Forum Member

I got an email yesterday and scheduled my written exam for Oct. 5th.

Forum Member

My email was Friday too. Just for your information.

Forum Member

what was the other day you can take the written test besides oct 5th??? i hope that they will hire people off this new test and are not just refilling the roster. that would be a let down

Forum Member

My other option was Oct. 6th.
    I heard they had over 4,000 applicants... I wonder how many were invited for the ability test and how many are invited to the written?

Forum Member

Does anyone know how the academy works? How long and if you stay overnight, can you come home at night if you want or what?
    I don't have any certs. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    Does anyone know how the academy works? How long and if you stay overnight, can you come home at night if you want or what?
    I don't have any certs. Thanks
    Similar to the military. You go for 12 months and must stay at the academy. Family may visit twice. It proves you are hardcore.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Similar to the military. You go for 12 months and must stay at the academy. Family may visit twice. It proves you are hardcore.
    I think they moved it from North Nashville to Paris Island

Forum Member

If thats the case I hope they have a divorce settlement reimbursement program for those with wives and children...

half of everything we own is a lot..

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by PS3106 View Post
    I think they moved it from North Nashville to Paris Island
    Either that or most of the Instructors had been in the USMC and the operate the Academy like a Marine Boot Camp. Shaved heads, Clean uniforms and very shinned shoes. It is YES SIR, NO SIR, or I WILL FIND OUT SIR!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Either that or most of the Instructors had been in the USMC and the operate the Academy like a Marine Boot Camp. Shaved heads, Clean uniforms and very shinned shoes. It is YES SIR, NO SIR, or I WILL FIND OUT SIR!!!
    http://blog.moviepostershop.com/wp-c...tal+jacket.jpg
    Last edited by PS3106; 09-15-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Forum Member

I was told that.the.academy was.22 weeks...I don't se why u would have.to sleep over

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    I was told that.the.academy was.22 weeks...I don't se why u would have.to sleep over
    22 weeks of you do not have an EMT license. 11 if you are already an EMT or Paramedic. I am starting October 18, but those that were not EMTs began in August. No, you do not have to stay overnight. I am looking forward to having holidays off for a change. It will be the first time in 20 years.

Thread Information