+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 First ... 345678916 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

  1. #126
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I don't smoke or dip, but just thought it was interesting that it wasn't on the application somewhere. I looked at applying to Florida one time and noticed it was put out there right up front.

  2. #127
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mksugls View Post
    Do they have any stipulations like you can't have used for a year before hire? Florida does that. They also make it public that you can't have used tobacco for a year or use tobacco while employed. It's not something that they wait until you're being interviewed or considered before springing it on you. I haven't seen anything like that for Nashville. Pretty sure I saw someone smoking wearing a NFD shirt when I was waiting to take my physical. That would be interesting though if it turns out to be true. I just find it interesting that it would be one of the requirements for hire, but wouldn't be put out there up front. Wonder if I missed it somewhere?
    i agree with you they cant just pop this up like oh ya by the way u cant be a tobacco user. i dont use tobacco either, but i just dont see them popping it up on you

  3. #128
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mt5016 View Post
    so is that just for hire or throughout your career?
    Just for the hire. You have to pass a Nicotine test. I am not sure how long you have to be tobacco free to do so. It is my understanding that, after the probationary period, they cannot stop you from smoking/ dipping.

  4. #129
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mksugls View Post
    I don't smoke or dip, but just thought it was interesting that it wasn't on the application somewhere. I looked at applying to Florida one time and noticed it was put out there right up front.
    I feel like I did see it somewhere because I knew that we would be tested, but I can't think of where I saw it. I haven't gone back through the whole app, but perhaps it was in the information on the website.

  5. #130
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I just got done with my practice test....wasn't that bad but it makes you think about how u answer things. I'm pretty sure it.was.a.good buy. My scores were good except for the fist section...and I thought I would do good on that one and bad on the math!

  6. #131
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    52

    Default Safer Grants....

    On the list of SAFER Grants there is a column that says Recruits and some say Hiring. Does anyone know what this means? Will the departments use the money for new recruits, hiring the lay offs back, new equipment or all of the above? Thanks. Just seen this and was curious.

  7. #132
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireSamba12 View Post
    Agility test had a total of 5 points possible. Anything under 2 minutes is 5 points, but I don't know how they graduate the remaining points. 1:36 is REALLY good, because as far as I know the top score was 1:32. So congrats, that's awesome! I heard that about half of the applicants were invited to written, then cuts will be made again.

    Took agility the other day - got 1:54. For some reason (kicking myself) I went against what I've done before (which is pick the dummy up under arms, and carry with just its feet dragging - I'm 5-7 so unfortunately not tall enough to get him all the way off the ground like some).

    For whatever reason I grabbed the hose straps they had around it and dragged...totally hurt me by prob 15-20 secs. Not to mention the dummy being on carpet lol.

    So there were 5 possible points and under 2 minutes was 5 points? I'd have to assume then they'd look at time differences? Disappointed I changed my technique and got barely under 2. Oh well - makes more incentive to do real well on written!

  8. #133
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    On the list of SAFER Grants there is a column that says Recruits and some say Hiring. Does anyone know what this means? Will the departments use the money for new recruits, hiring the lay offs back, new equipment or all of the above? Thanks. Just seen this and was curious.
    The most recent SAFER grants are for rehiring laid off firefighters. That's the reason I was told that Nashville will not be getting the grant.

  9. #134
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireSamba12 View Post
    Agility test had a total of 5 points possible. Anything under 2 minutes is 5 points, but I don't know how they graduate the remaining points. 1:36 is REALLY good, because as far as I know the top score was 1:32. So congrats, that's awesome! I heard that about half of the applicants were invited to written, then cuts will be made again.

    That's the first I've heard of that, but it makes sense. I scored a 9 of 10 in their last testing process, but don't know how the rating exactly is calculated.

    I pulled a 2:05, not bad for a "getting older" guy. Probably my best of the three times I've tried out.

  10. #135
    Forum Member
    TNFF319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    628

    Default

    What are the testing steps? Physical agility and Fireteam test............?
    FF/Paramedic

  11. #136
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Just wondering if anyone knew the pay scale or.starting salary for Nashville.

  12. #137
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    319

    Default Question

    I take my test October 5th for the written after that when will people find out when will the next step take place because I know after the written test letters will be sent and does anyone has a good chance of getting on if they have their fire I and II state certifications and EMT license not to brag about it because I feel everyone with or without it deserves a chance of getting a job I just don't want to be wasting my time waiting 3 years thats all

  13. #138
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    319

    Default Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knew the pay scale or.starting salary for Nashville.
    Pay is between 38000 to 44000 year its a rip off considering what fireman do but it's stable employment

  14. #139
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    i was under the impression that emt license and the certs had no bearing on getting hired??

  15. #140
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    What about the time.frame for.the.academy we.would be.attending if.we.are fortunate to get hired....when would that start?

  16. #141
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    319

    Default Hiring

    Actually no one knows everyone who post is going by hear say all you can do is wait I work for Memphis fire and I had to wait credentials or Certs doesn't mean anything all I know nothing is guaranteed when they will start

  17. #142
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    test on tuesday!

  18. #143
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Mine is Tuesday.at 12:30

  19. #144
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I'm a little late to this party but I'll be taking the written test on Wednesday.

  20. #145
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    Mine is Tuesday.at 12:30
    mine is at 12:30 too. hoping i do well. never took a test for a fire dept. before.

  21. #146
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Well I have taken a few but never a fire team test....I am looking forward to it...I think we find out how we did same day too.

  22. #147
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    Well I have taken a few but never a fire team test....I am looking forward to it...I think we find out how we did same day too.
    that would be awesome if we found out our results the day of the test rather than waiting around for an email

  23. #148
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Nashville has been moving rather quickly compared to the other departments I've applied at

  24. #149
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    Nashville has been moving rather quickly compared to the other departments I've applied at
    ya they have been. im hoping they are moving quickly because they want to get a class in quickly! just hoping thats the case. So people were saying if you got under 2:00 on physical you got a 5 out of 5. Does that score stay the same for the written test you think? i mean on a 10 point scale adding the two up?

  25. #150
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coreyology View Post
    Pay is between 38000 to 44000 year its a rip off considering what fireman do but it's stable employment



    You are earning what now??


    That is good pay for someone who is just starting out and maybe out of high school for a year or two, trying to get employed.

    A lot of cities don't pay that much for firefighters annual salary.


    You say you work for Memphis? Didn't know they hired so young there!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 First ... 345678916 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 08-11-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 10:17 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 06-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 12:32 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 04-03-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 12:58 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-12-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 11:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register