+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 First ... 345678916 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

I don't smoke or dip, but just thought it was interesting that it wasn't on the application somewhere. I looked at applying to Florida one time and noticed it was put out there right up front.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mksugls View Post
    Do they have any stipulations like you can't have used for a year before hire? Florida does that. They also make it public that you can't have used tobacco for a year or use tobacco while employed. It's not something that they wait until you're being interviewed or considered before springing it on you. I haven't seen anything like that for Nashville. Pretty sure I saw someone smoking wearing a NFD shirt when I was waiting to take my physical. That would be interesting though if it turns out to be true. I just find it interesting that it would be one of the requirements for hire, but wouldn't be put out there up front. Wonder if I missed it somewhere?
    i agree with you they cant just pop this up like oh ya by the way u cant be a tobacco user. i dont use tobacco either, but i just dont see them popping it up on you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mt5016 View Post
    so is that just for hire or throughout your career?
    Just for the hire. You have to pass a Nicotine test. I am not sure how long you have to be tobacco free to do so. It is my understanding that, after the probationary period, they cannot stop you from smoking/ dipping.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mksugls View Post
    I don't smoke or dip, but just thought it was interesting that it wasn't on the application somewhere. I looked at applying to Florida one time and noticed it was put out there right up front.
    I feel like I did see it somewhere because I knew that we would be tested, but I can't think of where I saw it. I haven't gone back through the whole app, but perhaps it was in the information on the website.

Forum Member

I just got done with my practice test....wasn't that bad but it makes you think about how u answer things. I'm pretty sure it.was.a.good buy. My scores were good except for the fist section...and I thought I would do good on that one and bad on the math!

Forum Member

Default Safer Grants....

On the list of SAFER Grants there is a column that says Recruits and some say Hiring. Does anyone know what this means? Will the departments use the money for new recruits, hiring the lay offs back, new equipment or all of the above? Thanks. Just seen this and was curious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireSamba12 View Post
    Agility test had a total of 5 points possible. Anything under 2 minutes is 5 points, but I don't know how they graduate the remaining points. 1:36 is REALLY good, because as far as I know the top score was 1:32. So congrats, that's awesome! I heard that about half of the applicants were invited to written, then cuts will be made again.

Took agility the other day - got 1:54. For some reason (kicking myself) I went against what I've done before (which is pick the dummy up under arms, and carry with just its feet dragging - I'm 5-7 so unfortunately not tall enough to get him all the way off the ground like some).

For whatever reason I grabbed the hose straps they had around it and dragged...totally hurt me by prob 15-20 secs. Not to mention the dummy being on carpet lol.

So there were 5 possible points and under 2 minutes was 5 points? I'd have to assume then they'd look at time differences? Disappointed I changed my technique and got barely under 2. Oh well - makes more incentive to do real well on written!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    On the list of SAFER Grants there is a column that says Recruits and some say Hiring. Does anyone know what this means? Will the departments use the money for new recruits, hiring the lay offs back, new equipment or all of the above? Thanks. Just seen this and was curious.
    The most recent SAFER grants are for rehiring laid off firefighters. That's the reason I was told that Nashville will not be getting the grant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireSamba12 View Post
    Agility test had a total of 5 points possible. Anything under 2 minutes is 5 points, but I don't know how they graduate the remaining points. 1:36 is REALLY good, because as far as I know the top score was 1:32. So congrats, that's awesome! I heard that about half of the applicants were invited to written, then cuts will be made again.

That's the first I've heard of that, but it makes sense. I scored a 9 of 10 in their last testing process, but don't know how the rating exactly is calculated.

I pulled a 2:05, not bad for a "getting older" guy. Probably my best of the three times I've tried out.

Forum Member

What are the testing steps? Physical agility and Fireteam test............?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone knew the pay scale or.starting salary for Nashville.

Forum Member

Default Question

I take my test October 5th for the written after that when will people find out when will the next step take place because I know after the written test letters will be sent and does anyone has a good chance of getting on if they have their fire I and II state certifications and EMT license not to brag about it because I feel everyone with or without it deserves a chance of getting a job I just don't want to be wasting my time waiting 3 years thats all

Forum Member

Default Pay

Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knew the pay scale or.starting salary for Nashville.
    Pay is between 38000 to 44000 year its a rip off considering what fireman do but it's stable employment

Forum Member

i was under the impression that emt license and the certs had no bearing on getting hired??

Forum Member

What about the time.frame for.the.academy we.would be.attending if.we.are fortunate to get hired....when would that start?

Forum Member

Default Hiring

Actually no one knows everyone who post is going by hear say all you can do is wait I work for Memphis fire and I had to wait credentials or Certs doesn't mean anything all I know nothing is guaranteed when they will start

Forum Member

test on tuesday!

Forum Member

Mine is Tuesday.at 12:30

Forum Member

I'm a little late to this party but I'll be taking the written test on Wednesday.

Forum Member

Mine is Tuesday.at 12:30
    mine is at 12:30 too. hoping i do well. never took a test for a fire dept. before.

Forum Member

Well I have taken a few but never a fire team test....I am looking forward to it...I think we find out how we did same day too.

Forum Member

Well I have taken a few but never a fire team test....I am looking forward to it...I think we find out how we did same day too.
    that would be awesome if we found out our results the day of the test rather than waiting around for an email

Forum Member

Nashville has been moving rather quickly compared to the other departments I've applied at

Forum Member

Nashville has been moving rather quickly compared to the other departments I've applied at
    ya they have been. im hoping they are moving quickly because they want to get a class in quickly! just hoping thats the case. So people were saying if you got under 2:00 on physical you got a 5 out of 5. Does that score stay the same for the written test you think? i mean on a 10 point scale adding the two up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coreyology View Post
    Pay is between 38000 to 44000 year its a rip off considering what fireman do but it's stable employment

You are earning what now??

That is good pay for someone who is just starting out and maybe out of high school for a year or two, trying to get employed.

A lot of cities don't pay that much for firefighters annual salary.

You say you work for Memphis? Didn't know they hired so young there!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 First ... 345678916 ... Last

Thread Information