+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 51 First ... 4567891017 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

I think that you written will be added to an over all score but I think it would be more than,10 points

Where I live to start off they pay 56k

Forum Member

You say you work for Memphis? Didn't know they hired so young there![/QUOTE]

I saw the 1993 too. They don't.

/Memphis Fire

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mt5016 View Post
    mine is at 12:30 too. hoping i do well. never took a test for a fire dept. before.
    I'm Tuesday also.

This is one of those jobs that I would do for free if I could still support my family! I'm sure there's others on here that feel the same way. Where I used to live, they hired in at mid-30s and you got "bonus" pay for having different certifications coming in. I think Nashville's pay is pretty good at entry level. Check out the job description for chief. $115K~$154K annual salary.

Forum Member

Gettin on a flight down to test....good luck to everyone

Forum Member

Default Does anyone know?

I am testing Wednesday & was wondering if anyone knows where They are testing at?

jj-
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinestservice View Post
    I am testing Wednesday & was wondering if anyone knows where They are testing at?
    LOCATION: Nashville Convention Center 601 Commerce St., Nashville, TN 37203 (Downtown Nashville). Proceed to Level 1 to the East Exhibit Hall area.

PARKING: Candidate responsibility. Paid parking in the downtown area. Do not park at a parking meter, you will not be allowed to leave the testing area to put money in the meter.

I live only 3 miles away so I will probably bike in, but I would recommend parking in the public library lot. I think it's the cheapest around, and it's only 2 blocks from the convention center.
    Last edited by jj-; 10-05-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mksugls View Post
    I'm Tuesday also.

This is one of those jobs that I would do for free if I could still support my family! I'm sure there's others on here that feel the same way. Where I used to live, they hired in at mid-30s and you got "bonus" pay for having different certifications coming in. I think Nashville's pay is pretty good at entry level. Check out the job description for chief. $115K~$154K annual salary.

The pay for the Chief of Department SUCKS!!

They should be able to pay better than that! Should be $150,000 - $200,000.

Hiring pay should be 39,000 - 45,000!

Quote Originally Posted by thefinestservice View Post

That should have been in the letter you received!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    I live only 3 miles away so I will probably bike in, but I would recommend parking in the public library lot. I think it's the cheapest around, and it's only 2 blocks from the convention center.
    Thanks for the heads up on cheap parking.

Forum Member

so what you think about the test??

Forum Member

Default Took my written today

Yep my written test was 8 am oct 5th. I did about 2:53 on ladder climb, 2:12 on agility. I was glad I passed but looking at some scores hope thats good enough. Some on here said 4000 applied, anyone know how many made it through physical , then how many out of that got invited to written?

This was my first time applying, so glad I passed.

jj-
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brenn View Post
    Yep my written test was 8 am oct 5th. I did about 2:53 on ladder climb, 2:12 on agility. I was glad I passed but looking at some scores hope thats good enough. Some on here said 4000 applied, anyone know how many made it through physical , then how many out of that got invited to written?

This was my first time applying, so glad I passed.
    So do they score the test right there after taking it? I'm about to go take mine in less than an hour.

Forum Member

So do they score the test right there after taking it? I'm about to go take mine in less than an hour.
    they do not score it after the test. they said u will get an email later

MembersZone Subscriber

Just curious. how many flights of stairs did you all have to climb on the tower drill of the pat. Ive heard several people at written test say they climbed less or more than others. This could really affect your overall time. I know it takes knowing someone to have an edge in the process with that many applicants, but doesnt seem fair. For those that will ask i had to climb 4 flights of stairs, but heard others talking say they climbed some only 2, some 3, others 4. Guess just depends on who your proctor was, and if it was your lucky day. I was told to climb to the cone, and the cone was on the 4th floor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gander27 View Post
    Just curious. how many flights of stairs did you all have to climb on the tower drill of the pat. Ive heard several people at written test say they climbed less or more than others. This could really affect your overall time. I know it takes knowing someone to have an edge in the process with that many applicants, but doesnt seem fair. For those that will ask i had to climb 4 flights of stairs, but heard others talking say they climbed some only 2, some 3, others 4. Guess just depends on who your proctor was, and if it was your lucky day. I was told to climb to the cone, and the cone was on the 4th floor.
    I think that some people will probably be confused by the verbage on this one. I doubt there was a change in the standards for anyone. My cone was at the top of the fourth set of stairs, but that is technically only two flights, so that could be the 2 vs 4 thing. Cant explain the 3 flights, but I wouldn't be surprised if anyone misremembered.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I tested yesterday at the convention center in Nashville and there looked to be at least 2,000 plus people testing at the 12:30 time slot. They said just as many showed up for the earlier morning test and the same for the previous two testing times the day before. Whoe! Seems to me you may have better luck buying lottery tickets... Ha, ha.

A guy that I was talking to said his brother works there and told him they had 12,000 or more apply. Sounds like that was a good number by sitting in the testing facility.

Forum Member

I talked with a firefighter the other day and he said they did not get approved for the grant. Does this mean the testing will be to establish a roster for future hiring? Thanks

Forum Member

The misinterpreted stair question is often confusing....that's why.they had the.cones.and sawhorses at the.top so no one could do more...my proctor followed me....

As for the.testing times and people attending....unless you counted them for yourself I wouldnt worry about it. A lot of stuff is.all hearsay and rumors. Don't get discouraged. A lot of people will give you misinformation just so u get alll worked up. Now I know Nashville is a.big city but I highly doubt there were 12k that applied. Just take facts....there were 2 days with 2 sessions for testing. There were roughly 22 tables across and 9 rows deep with 2 at a table. At most there were 1500 taking the.written in total and about 1/2 if not.more will fail.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onestackdodge View Post
    The misinterpreted stair question is often confusing....that's why.they had the.cones.and sawhorses at the.top so no one could do more...my proctor followed me....

As for the.testing times and people attending....unless you counted them for yourself I wouldnt worry about it. A lot of stuff is.all hearsay and rumors. Don't get discouraged. A lot of people will give you misinformation just so u get alll worked up. Now I know Nashville is a.big city but I highly doubt there were 12k that applied. Just take facts....there were 2 days with 2 sessions for testing. There were roughly 22 tables across and 9 rows deep with 2 at a table. At most there were 1500 taking the.written in total and about 1/2 if not.more will fail.
    Agreed. Enough Said.

Forum Member

I agree everyone is saying so many rumors it just best to wait to get your email or letter in the mail and hope for the best no use worrying. Well good luck everybody.

Forum Member

I don't know which session you were at but my test was at 12:30 on Tuesday and there was not an open seat in the house. There were 4 to a table and the lady handing the test packets said it was filled the same for the morning session. I would at least triple your figure to be accurate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    I talked with a firefighter the other day and he said they did not get approved for the grant. Does this mean the testing will be to establish a roster for future hiring? Thanks
    The grant did not happen. Yes, current testing is for a future roster. The grant was for approximately 80 people (including myself). We had to reapply.

The roster is for a three year potential-hire list. I can give a good estimate that 150-200 people will be hired off the list, based on current understaffing, near future retirees, and good information I get a hold of. However, hiring is also based on city budgeting, which is tight right now, hence the applying for the grant.

I've heard the number 4000 applicants a lot, someone gave me the exact number, It was between 4100-4200. Unknown if this is before or after physical tryouts. There were 4 written test times, so it's reasonable to beleive there were approximately 1000 seated at each test. It definitely was overwhelming and a little discouraging to see so many people, and know there are 3 other times that the room was filled with people wanting the same job.

It is typical to weed out 30-50% of applicants who don't pass the physical, written, drug, or background checks. I'd put the final list at @ 2000 potential hires.

It is typical that only about 5% of people who tryout and make a list (in any city) get hired. Hence, an approximate 150-200 recruits off this list.

jj-
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    I don't know which session you were at but my test was at 12:30 on Tuesday and there was not an open seat in the house. There were 4 to a table and the lady handing the test packets said it was filled the same for the morning session. I would at least triple your figure to be accurate.
    I tested at the Tuesday morning session. I estimate that the back 25% of tables were empty. Of the tables occupied, I think 2-3 people per table is accurate. It still seemed like a lot of people when I was in there, especially when everyone lined up at the bathroom during break, but 500 can make a pretty long line. I would say that the number of people there was in the hundreds not the thousands.

jj-
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farkingfireman View Post
    It is typical that only about 5% of people who tryout and make a list (in any city) get hired. Hence, an approximate 150-200 recruits off this list.
    Can you help me understand the list a little better? Once the list is established, can they call anyone on the list to come in and interview, or are there actual rankings that they have to stick to when calling for interviews (i.e. they call the #1 person first, the #2 person second, etc.).

Forum Member

Can you help me understand the list a little better? Once the list is established, can they call anyone on the list to come in and interview, or are there actual rankings that they have to stick to when calling for interviews (i.e. they call the #1 person first, the #2 person second, etc.).
    In the past, a person got a final score, based on a 10 point scale. I placed 9 of ten points. My paper said I was "#1" on the list, however 148 people got 9 points out of ten, and we were all tied for "#1". (I never heard anyone say they got 10). To my knowledge, they interviewed everyone with a 7 point score or hiring, which still would have been several hundred people. I believe they offered jobs to 9-pointers first, then 8-pointers, etc.

This testing has been new with the FIRETEAM test. I honestly don't know the scoring procedure on this one. A top percentage (25%?) or a "X" amount (300?) of the top scorers will likely be interviewed. It would not be cost- or time-effective to interview the lower scorers when they might have 2000 completed testers, and an estimated 150-200 spots.

Forum Member

Default Nashville fire

All I want to know when in the hell they will send out emails, because i check my email everyday lol,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 51 First ... 4567891017 ... Last

Thread Information