Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by farkingfireman View Post
    The grant did not happen. Yes, current testing is for a future roster. The grant was for approximately 80 people (including myself). We had to reapply.

The roster is for a three year potential-hire list. I can give a good estimate that 150-200 people will be hired off the list, based on current understaffing, near future retirees, and good information I get a hold of. However, hiring is also based on city budgeting, which is tight right now, hence the applying for the grant.

I've heard the number 4000 applicants a lot, someone gave me the exact number, It was between 4100-4200. Unknown if this is before or after physical tryouts. There were 4 written test times, so it's reasonable to beleive there were approximately 1000 seated at each test. It definitely was overwhelming and a little discouraging to see so many people, and know there are 3 other times that the room was filled with people wanting the same job.

It is typical to weed out 30-50% of applicants who don't pass the physical, written, drug, or background checks. I'd put the final list at @ 2000 potential hires.

It is typical that only about 5% of people who tryout and make a list (in any city) get hired. Hence, an approximate 150-200 recruits off this list.
    That's good info. Thanks

Forum Member

I have heard the same around the 4200 range for applicants, I know a good handfull have dropped out after PAT, I was told by the tester there was around 600 or so in the tuesday morning session and probably around 1000 in the tuesday afternoon, but who knows for real, no one has given me a static number on any of it. All you can do is the best you can do and wait. I have not heard how the point or scoring will work now either. Testing just got done yesterday so give them some time. Good luck y'all.

Forum Member

Usually if there are, example 30 positions they will be hiring, then the panel will interview the top 60 plus any ties. It call two for one over 5. That said if only 1 job is open they would interview 6 plus any ties.

I have seen as many as 50 people get interviews for 20 jobs in the past.

Don't give up. Hold in there as there is always hope!

Quote Originally Posted by coreyology View Post
    All I want to know when in the hell they will send out emails, because i check my email everyday lol,

If were I, I would be calling them several times a day bugging the HR folks.

Be sure you tell them who is calling!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-07-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Timeframe for response

I called human resources to see how long should we wait to hear back something, she stated it would be two weeks, when all should receive a email, whether they are considered for an interview or be on a list, i dont care myself as long as i am on the list, but i do prefer an interview just like anyone, so in the middle of october, or before the end of october you will get an email on your current status, good luck to those who who has posted on here, because im sure everyone who has posted on here, wants the job just as bad as me,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Usually if there are, example 30 positions they will be hiring, then the panel will interview the top 60 plus any ties. It call two for one over 5. That said if only 1 job is open they would interview 6 plus any ties.

I have seen as many as 50 people get interviews for 20 jobs in the past.

Don't give up. Hold in there as there is always hope!

If were I, I would be calling them several times a day bugging the HR folks.

I called human resources to see how long should we wait to hear back something, she stated it would be two weeks, when all should receive a email, whether they are considered for an interview or be on a list, i dont care myself as long as i am on the list, but i do prefer an interview just like anyone, so in the middle of october, or before the end of october you will get an email on your current status, good luck to those who who has posted on here, because im sure everyone who has posted on here, wants the job just as bad as me,
    Great JOB! How many times did they say PLEASE DONT CALL US, WAIT FOR AN EMAIL?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Default Human resources

they didnt tell me please stop calling, they just gave a time frame, thats all, its all about how you ask a question

jj-
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captoldtimer View Post
    if were i, i would be calling them several times a day bugging the hr folks.

lol

Forum Member

Default From talking w an employee...

It appears that there were in fact 4200 applicants approximately. Of those, 2700 were called back for the written exam. I took the test Tuesday AM and would guess there were 700-800 people there. Its very hard to estimate people in a crowd, so I figured that by counting tables, as others have. Good luck to everyone on here, and hopefully we hear back soon.

Forum Member

Default Rookie School?

What is the rookie school certification? Is it the firefighter 1 or something else? I have an 80 hour class starting soon. Anyone info will be helpful.

Thanks!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    What is the rookie school certification? Is it the firefighter 1 or something else? I have an 80 hour class starting soon. Anyone info will be helpful.

Thanks!!
    Context? Is this something you received an e-mail about through the Department?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireSamba12 View Post
    Context? Is this something you received an e-mail about through the Department?
    i dont know about everybody else but ive been checking my email daily multiple times and i got nada thing. but i thought i heard them say around two weeks possibly... so shouldnt be to long.

Forum Member

Default Email

Everyone should receive something in the middle or beginning of next week hope everyone who posted on here gets a interview

Forum Member

I'm going to "Rookie" school through Rutherford County Fire Dept.
    This is not through Nashville Fire Dept, I was just asking a question. If anyone has been through Rookie school before what is it about and do you receive a certification for it?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion. I haven't heard anything from Nashville yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 981kirk View Post
    I'm going to "Rookie" school through Rutherford County Fire Dept.
    This is not through Nashville Fire Dept, I was just asking a question. If anyone has been through Rookie school before what is it about and do you receive a certification for it?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion. I haven't heard anything from Nashville yet.
    Academies run just like any class... except they will show you the department SOP's rather than just a general couple of ways to do something. At the end you will be required to challenge a test and pass it.

good luck everyone....

hopefully we all passed :-)

Forum Member

981Kirk Rookie school or basic firefighting is the basics of the service. We will teach you about proper techniques and procedures and how to operate tools that we normally use and eventually get into SCBA techniques and emergencies and then test you in stressfull situations like being blacked out and following a searchline through a maze of sorts. There is some book work and tests more so in the beginning and then you get into the praticals more heavily in the end. You will learn how to do searches, how to roll hose, how to set up a hydrant, how to climb a ladder, and so on and so forth.

When you are done you will get a TFACA certificate and be able to get into the live burn class held at TFACA. Once you have your basic or rookie cert and your live burn verification and 1 year of service you are eligible to challenge for you firefighter 1 commision.

See you in class and good luck.

Forum Member

Default Selection

Human resources stated they will select the numbers for people they want the fire department will set up interviews and make the final selection

Forum Member

Default Another wait period

It will be another 4 to 6 weeks before we will hear anything test hasnt been graded yet good things happen to those who wait lol

Forum Member

It will be another 4 to 6 weeks before we will hear anything test hasnt been graded yet good things happen to those who wait lol
    haha man really? hasnt been graded?

Forum Member

Default Test

I spoke with human resources and yes the test hasn't been graded

Forum Member

I spoke with human resources and yes the test hasn't been graded
    lame! oh well.. like ya said.. who knows.. maybe the wait is a good thing

Forum Member

Default Human resources

I received a email from sonny Lyons stating scores will be emailed in the next several weeks everyone should receive it

Forum Member

Yup. I got it today!

Forum Member

I received a email from sonny Lyons stating scores will be emailed in the next several weeks everyone should receive it
    i still have not got the email

Forum Member

Default Email

For those who didn't get the email trust me don't panic it was not a personal email from him everyone gets the same thing it makes you think it's personal because the email starts off with your first name lol but it's nothing but a chain email from human resources

Forum Member

Default Test

Honestly I think I did terrible on the written test it will take an mighty act of God I get selected

Thread Information