Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nashville Fire Recruit

Forum Member

Default Nashville Fire Recruit

Do Fire Recruits get stuck on a box when hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhelgemo86 View Post
    Do Fire Recruits get stuck on a box when hired?
    If not they sure as heck should!

Why don't you contact the FD and ask that question of them?????
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Im going to call, just was wondering if anyone on here had any idea how rookies got their assignments
    Last edited by jhelgemo86; 07-30-2010 at 07:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have any inside info on what the dept. is like? I'm thinking of applying. Is this a good dept. to work for, what are the shifts like, etc. Any help is appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't look at it as "getting stuck" on a box. At least in my area, ambulances are dispatched to anything larger than a dumpster or contained kitchen fire. But what usually happens, since the ambulance is only two people and is out the bays before the engine (and are faster), they are on scene, geared up, waiting for the engine to stop and they pull a line. More times than not, the ambulance guys are on the first interior attack line. If the incident actually requires a rehab unit, the IC will call for a second ambulance. Plus, our ambulance districts are bigger than our engine districts (roughly 1 ambulance for every two engine districts), so you get called out for more calls.

Yeah, you get your frequent flyers and bogus medical calls at 2 in the morning, but you also get some "good" ones (cardiac arrests, MVAs, etc.). And frankly, I'd rather get a few runs during my shift and keep busy than sit around waiting for the tones that never drop. Especially as a probie, there's only so many hours you can clean the firehouse and study the engine compartments. Too much idle time gives you more opportunities to draw attention to your actions, which usually doesn't end in the best situation (even if it is just getting your balls busted, still better to not be in the other guys' sight picture). It's great training, you learn your district and you get to get out of the firehouse often.

Forum Member

I was totally unaware that guys on the box still get to see fire..I sent you an email. I would really like to talk to you more about Nashville.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I should have been more clear. I'm not in Nashville, but another midwest metropolitan area. I don't know how their dept operates, but all the FDs in my area that run their own ambulance service, which are most of them, can (and usually do) also fight fire. Yes, most of the guys get off the ambulance the first chance they get once they have the seniority, but there's also a couple senior medics that bid the ambulance that covers the districts with the most fires. They get the good fire runs and good medical runs. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Forum Member

From what I have been told...Nashville EMS and Fire are seperate...you're either on the box or on an engine...guys on the box dont fight fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting... I went to their webpage. Looks like it's kind of structured like FDNY, as separate organizations. Their website is kind of vague, but it looks like their Suppression personnel are basically BLS only (first responder?) and their ALS/Paramedics are run through another bureau.

Are they hired as NFD EMS and stay that way unless they apply into the suppression side like FDNY EMS does or do they eventually get the ability to move over after so much seniority (i.e. bidding)?

In my area, when we complete the academy everyone is a fully qualified FF and EMT-B. And they do both jobs immediately out of the academy. Newer guys, like I mentioned above, are usually assigned to ambulances, but they're usually the first ones to float to another station due to scheduling. In the same week, you could be on an ambulance one day, rescue truck the next and a ladder or engine the following. Eventually, as your seniority builds, you don't float nearly as much, so then you'll stay on your assigned apparatus most of the time.

Forum Member

From what I can gather, The academy is 22 weeks long, 11 for fire fighter and 11 being for EMT. People already EMT's or Medics, their academy is only 11 weeks. What I am trying to find out is if once out of the academy if you could get assigned to an ambulance. I am pretty sure if you are hired as a fire recruit, you won't be on a box but like I said, I am still trying to figure that out. They run a few ALS engines too. But I would bet that is a seniority spot. But EMS and Fire are separate, you don't go back and forth day to day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    If not they sure as heck should!

Why don't you contact the FD and ask that question of them?????
    That is a **** poor attitude.

Just because someone is new doesnt mean they should be stuck on a box. They should rotate to every assignement (pipe, ladder, box) within their rank. Its reasons like that why you have 5 year guys who don't know the first thing about fighting fire. Typical old school guys talking sh*t who never had boxes back in the day, and are obviously the reason "the box" has the stigma it does. A good fire department will rotate you to all the spots in the house, that way your a well rounded firefighter. Good luck, whatever they do up there.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by docflip4884 View Post
    That is a **** poor attitude.

Just because someone is new doesnt mean they should be stuck on a box. They should rotate to every assignement (pipe, ladder, box) within their rank. Its reasons like that why you have 5 year guys who don't know the first thing about fighting fire. Typical old school guys talking sh*t who never had boxes back in the day, and are obviously the reason "the box" has the stigma it does. A good fire department will rotate you to all the spots in the house, that way your a well rounded firefighter. Good luck, whatever they do up there.
    Watch what you say skippy.

And don't let my screen name fool you. I have rode the box and everything else that one can ride in the fire service.

If I wanted to know about any fire department, which includes yours, I know how to look up information and also call make a call to that department PIO or Chief or to someone which I know would know the information I was looking for.

Forum Member

Capt-
    Not sure if you realized but this is a firefighting forum. One can assume that there will be discussion on it, especially considering that the original question was posted in the "Hiring and Employment Discussion." I think it's pretty clear that he was asking a legit question.

Granted if it comes down to it making the call oneself usually gets the answer, but that's why I thought the forum was so popular. So people can ask questions of other peers who possible DO know the answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Watch what you say skippy.

And don't let my screen name fool you. I have rode the box and everything else that one can ride in the fire service.

If I wanted to know about any fire department, which includes yours, I know how to look up information and also call make a call to that department PIO or Chief or to someone which I know would know the information I was looking for.
    First off, Dont threaten me. I speak for myself and my views are my own. As the other guy pointed out this is a forum, if you can't handle other peoples input, then thats too bad. And the bit about calling my Chief, gimme a break. Ill save you a step and give you all the info you need, just PM me. I promise you they could give a damn about your hurt feelings.

Second, I never challenged what you did in the fire service, much less do I care. I'm sure you've seen your fair share and I respect that, however, the idea that all new hires should ride the box is a terrible one at best.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

Thumbs up

First off, Dont threaten me. I speak for myself and my views are my own. As the other guy pointed out this is a forum, if you can't handle other peoples input, then thats too bad. And the bit about calling my Chief, gimme a break. Ill save you a step and give you all the info you need, just PM me. I promise you they could give a damn about your hurt feelings.

Second, I never challenged what you did in the fire service, much less do I care. I'm sure you've seen your fair share and I respect that, however, the idea that all new hires should ride the box is a terrible one at best.
    Well said Docflip

Forum Member

Default What I heard....

I live in Nashville and will be testing. What I've heard from a paramedic who works for metro is that if you are applying to be a firefighter, you will get your EMT but will not be assigned to a "box", as you call it. So yes, metro fire and metro ems are seperate.

Also, if you already have your EMT or better, your start date will be 8-11 weeks later, b/c all of the recruits w/o it, go through that training first. This, I'm told is actually a disadvantage to those with their EMT, b/c after completing training you are assigned to stations based on seniority. Meaning, the guys who didn't already have their EMT have 8 weeks seniority on those who do. Sucks for them.

I should mention my source said he has tried for 6 years to get on with metro b/c he wants to be a firefighter, but said he is making good money with all the overtime hours he gets...to the tune of $35k for overtime alone last year. Just saying.

He also said that this is, "a very strange time for metro" because they are planning to hire around 120 recruits, but that is pending receival of some sort of 5-year federal grant. Apparently, if they don't get the grant by November then no one may be hired until they reapply for the grant for next year.

Now, for the not popular news. I have heard from this source, and SEVERAL others that Nashville is as political a department as it gets. I probably shouldn't be spreading that rumor, but I'm just giving the information that I've heard. So if you know somebody with some pull...congratulations.

Hope some of this helps.

Forum Member

I have heard the same thing about the political side of Nashville. But I'm not understanding the part about having different dates of seniority by having to, or not to, attend the EMT part. Everyone in the same academy dosen't get the same hire date?

Forum Member

Exactly...Those without their EMT are hired before those with...after they have completed EMT training they all then go to fire academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

applied a few days ago. does being a medic help at all?

Forum Member

Lumberjack...I gotcha. Thought it was the other way around. Interesting tho..

Forum Member

No one threaten you if you took it that way I am sorry.

I don't know you or where you are employed. As you don't know me. I do know, that I know a lot of folks in the fire service among them many chiefs of departments as well as other chiefs and those who are in the know as an active member of the IAFC, which being a member since 1982.

I do know that if I were inquiring about a city or its department I would go to that source to get my information. I also know how to find department as one may have seen an application notice and link, I can follow that link and find as much as I need to know about.

As far as I am concern that case is closed. He can worry about riding a box its not going to hurt him to ride it for the first year. Rookies do it every day elsewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know you or where you are employed. As you don't know me. I do know, that I know a lot of folks in the fire service among them many chiefs of departments as well as other chiefs and those who are in the know as an active member of the IAFC, which being a member since 1982.

I do know that if I were inquiring about a city or its department I would go to that source to get my information. I also know how to find department as one may have seen an application notice and link, I can follow that link and find as much as I need to know about.

As far as I am concern that case is closed. He can worry about riding a box its not going to hurt him to ride it for the first year. Rookies do it every day elsewhere.
    Apology accepted, sorry I misread or misinterpretted the information. Hopefully you can understand how it was perceived. As far as the box assignment goes, agree to disagree.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quit trying to post your credentials. No one cares how long you've been in the fire service. This is a hiring and employment thread. People come to inquire and learn about the testing process, the dept they're applying for, etc. Stop knit picking and tearing peoples posts apart as you always do.

Forum Member

I Looked at the posting..

It looks like fire and ems are two seperate divisions... but at the bottom of the application it does state if you are a member of the suppression division you will respond to ems calls. So you wont be running "Fire" only like youngstown ohio or something.

hope i helped.

Give Capt a break,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Quit trying to post your credentials. No one cares how long you've been in the fire service. This is a hiring and employment thread. People come to inquire and learn about the testing process, the dept they're applying for, etc. Stop knit picking and tearing peoples posts apart as you always do.
    Thank you Sir. May I have another?

Thread Information