Forum Member

Default Need pumper hauling help,NY to MN

We are looking to get a pumper from Upper Long Island,NY on a backhaul from east coast to SW MN. I read a post on this site last winter about a vol. fireman who owns or knows someone who helps small vol. f.d. towns move pumpers around the country if there trucks are in that area. Hoping onebugle, jam24u, SLY4420, BC79er or others could post a phone number or email me a name. 1390 mile haul of a 31 foot long, 9'6" tall engine. my email is windom11man@yahoo.com

Truckie

Contact this gentleman; Darrell Grams (507) 326-5158 I know he use to haul quite a bit of farm equipment across the US, so I know he has the equipment and is extremely reliable.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

If you check with some truck drivers in the area many are making 1 way runs with loads so they're driving back on their own dime. I'm sure they'd rather take reimbursement of fuel over spending money to get back. None of the guys I knew are still driving unfortunately. Truck isn't in shape to drive back?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireflame9 View Post
    We are looking to get a pumper from Upper Long Island,NY on a backhaul from east coast to SW MN. I read a post on this site last winter about a vol. fireman who owns or knows someone who helps small vol. f.d. towns move pumpers around the country if there trucks are in that area. Hoping onebugle, jam24u, SLY4420, BC79er or others could post a phone number or email me a name. 1390 mile haul of a 31 foot long, 9'6" tall engine. my email is windom11man@yahoo.com
    Drive it back! Perfect way to check it out. You can expect some scrutiny going through NYC though. Once they check you out they treat you like kings.

Got a truck driver training school in your area? They will often do it for expenses.

Shelter Island?

MembersZone Subscriber

If it's drivable and your dept could cover fuel for the pumper, we could set up a relay with Forum members. I'd be willing to do Northern Indiana.

Just a thought.

earl

Forum Member

Wish I had known a little sooner...I'm headed to MN next week but already have travel plans booked!

I think the best bet is Brian's suggestion. Plead your case to a driver who has a one way run. If you do set up a relay, I can get that puppy across PA for you...find someone in Ohio and then he can hand it off to earl!

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the one way drivers I know make big money hauling loads on their returns using a broker. (Big money - well you know what I mean)

The truck driving training schools will charge you some of the fuel, hotel and food.

We still just drive almost all of the ones coming here back - allows us to check them out well. Never had an issue so far. The tunnels and bridges in NYC WILL pull you out of line and check out the truck, and watch where you park if you take a side trip to DC. After both check you out they treat you like gold though.

We don't do scales, and rest areas are golden. Lots of kids want to come and see the engine, and what comes with kids? Their mothers! This has kept some of my younger drivers volunteering time after time!

Be prepared in some areas, they will come up and talk about your "antique" and are amazed that anything newer than a 95 is still in service.....

It really is a fun road trip - although those trucks that will only do 54.6 MPH are a little weary after a while, bring plenty of drivers to switch off in. We always have a chase vehicle - usually a 4 dr pickup so we can carry 4-5 people.

If you just have to have it hauled and you can't find a school to do it, www.freightquote.com works well for us in our business, as does www.uship.com - but on
    uship check out the company you end up hiring very well before hand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    If it's drivable and your dept could cover fuel for the pumper, we could set up a relay with Forum members. I'd be willing to do Northern Indiana.

Just a thought.

earl
    Not a bad idea, but check into whether the drivers need CDL licenses to do something like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh....there you go with the regulations and facts again!!

Might be some insurance issues as well. And then there's the fact that i'm only on here ever 2nd or 3rd month lately since i'm already stretched thinner than my Bride would like to see. And--i'm not as thin as i'd like to see!!

Good to be back on for a few days!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Oh....there you go with the regulations and facts again!!

Might be some insurance issues as well. And then there's the fact that i'm only on here ever 2nd or 3rd month lately since i'm already stretched thinner than my Bride would like to see. And--i'm not as thin as i'd like to see!!

Good to be back on for a few days!!

earl
    Howdy howdy friend and neighbor; good to see you back!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Been home nearly two working weeks and got caught up enough to noodle a bit. But...headed back out for the weekend tonight, and next week is already looking tight. And...even though it's August the grass needs to get cut about every 5 days.

Stay thirsty my Friend!!

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Long Haul Truck Driving Program

Dakota Technical College
    Bill Roberts
    Director of Transportation
    william.roberts@dctc.edu
    651-423-8223
    http://www.dctc.mnscu.edu/continuing...tion/index.cfm

I don't think Mn West has a program any more but you could give Bart a call.

Warren
    The opinions stated herein are those of the author and in no way shape or form reflect the opinions of any organization(s) that I am in any way affiliated with unless otherwise indicated.

Forum Member

Got the engine purchased this week and a step deck hauler from MN was in New Jersey so arranged for Hicks Trucking to get the load. Is in transit now and back here Sunday. Thanks for all the advice and posts on other options.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireflame9 View Post
    Got the engine purchased this week and a step deck hauler from MN was in New Jersey so arranged for Hicks Trucking to get the load. Is in transit now and back here Sunday. Thanks for all the advice and posts on other options.
    Good luck with the engine.

Thread Information