+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread: Hey GOP

Forum Member

Default Hey GOP

How about putting down the partisan flag for a minute and vote to help pay for the sick Brothers who are still suffering the effects of 9-11-01 ? It is not an "entitlement"...It's the right thing to do.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 08-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    How about putting down the partisan flag for a minute and vote to help pay for the sick Brothers who are still suffering the effects of 9-11-01 ? It is not an "entitlement"...It's the right thing to do.
    Dont let the Dems skip any blame in this. They run the show in DC right now. They knew they had the votes to get 50% +1...but they were more concerned with illegal immigrants. So they played the procedural game. They passed Pay-go legislation...but fault everyone from insisting they live up to it. There are numerous other issues with this legislation...but every time something passes their excuse is that there is no such thing as a perfect law...well why so concerned?

The way I have seen it explained is that they were concnered they would have to vote for stipulations that were anti-illegal immigrant...so what? What is wrong with this country that these supposed Americans and elected representatives are more concerned with unwelcome foreign criminals than firemen and cops and others who were irreperably harmed by the attacks on this country.

I refuse to think any of those low life pols are our friends...anyone who thinks otherwise is being willfully naive. I know for a fact that Weiner could care less about firemen...this is only to help them come Nov. as they are desperate to hold on to what they have and have little to run on.

Both parties are at fault...don't think for a second that they care. They are all crooks and fraudsters with a gov' credit card.

To only blame the GOP is to side with the Democrats who apparently don't believe in protecting this supposedly sovereign nation.

I want nothing to do with either of them currently. They are failures! Every one of them.

Never forget???.....Already Forgotten.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Both parties are at fault...don't think for a second that they care. They are all crooks and fraudsters with a gov' credit card.

Meanwhile... our brothers and sisters are sick and dying because Congress and the nation has forgotten them....
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 08-02-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Point taken Fred. I am not shilling for the Dems but the simple fact is that only three Republicans voted for it. I am more concerned that your members who are sick and dying get the treatment and financial support they need and deserve. Trust me, many of us HAVENT FORGOTTEN.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

I will post this in both threads, because it sums up my thoughts perfectly.

It is always pork and needs to be cut, unless it is something important to you.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

To make my previous remark sound less troll-like:

I know this is a very important topic, but to many this is already "old news". Many will argue that the US as a whole should not have to pay for the care of firefighters from one city, let NYC workmans comp handle it, they knew the risk when they took the job, blah blah blah. People are always screaming to cut taxes and cut costs, so why should we pay for these firefighters, blah blah blah.

This is a very important topic to everyone here, or at least it should be. But to many other people, this will also be pork.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Savage / Hyneman 08'

In the press clip I saw the GOP leader was explaining that they would not vote for it because of all the pork stuck into it that had nothing to do with the original bill, like additional tax increases that were not needed to pay for the bill.

We still have over 50% of the "stimulus" money unspent, why not use that instead of raising taxes?

Typical politics. Bring up an important bill ( remember unemployment benefits a few weeks ago? ) then add a bunch of crap to it and savage those who don't vote for it as being uncaring, heartless bastards.

If they were serious about the issue they would have voted on it in it's pure form and it would have passed, instead of sneaking a buch of crap in with it that made it unpalatable for many.

So much for "of the people, by the people, and for the people."
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Hey Democrats!

First responders need help! How about allowing a straight-up vote on a bill that would allow that help, instead of loading it up with all sorts of completely unrelated crap? 'Cause ya know, trying to get your partisan goals accomplished on the backs of the firefighter is a pretty crappy thing to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshireFF View Post
    Hey Democrats!

First responders need help! How about allowing a straight-up vote on a bill that would allow that help, instead of loading it up with all sorts of completely unrelated crap? 'Cause ya know, trying to get your partisan goals accomplished on the backs of the firefighter is a pretty crappy thing to do.
    Further research shows a little bit different story. The Democrats clearly had the 50 +1 that they needed to pass the bill. BUT to vote on it that way, they would also have to have allowed Republicans to add amendments. ONE of the amendments rumored to be under consideration by the republicans was to disallow payment to anyone who was in the country illegally.

Whether it was that proposed/rumored amendment or something else, the Democrats are the ones who insisted the vote be carried out using the parlimentary procedure normally used only for uncontested issues (like opening a new post office somewhere or similar). NOW, they have to grab the super majority to get it passed, but they don't have to suffer any Republican amendments.

It was the GOP who wanted a straight up or down vote that would have enabled them to add ammendments. The Dems invoked a parliamentary procedure that would have prevented ammendments from being added.

The GOP can't defend this one. Even Rep. King (R-NY) threw his sponsorship in front of the bus.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

This legislation was only designed and crafted to give the Dems something to blame on the Republicans. It was designed to fail. The Democrats care more about their politics than the citizens (including the 9/11 firefighters) of this country. The shame is on their own hands.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    This legislation was only designed and crafted to give the Dems something to blame on the Republicans. It was designed to fail. The Democrats care more about their politics than the citizens (including the 9/11 firefighters) of this country. The shame is on their own hands.
    How so? They crafted legislation that would have supported the 9/11 firefighters exclusively. The GOP wanted a straght up or down vote to enable them to add pork barrel ammendments.

Your argument is misplaced.

Rep. King (R-NY) was one of the sponsors and he voted against it.
    Last edited by scfire86; 08-05-2010 at 12:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    How so? They crafted legislation that would have supported the 9/11 firefighters exclusively. The GOP wanted a straght up or down vote to enable them to add pork barrel ammendments.

Your argument is misplaced.

Rep. King (R-NY) was one of the sponsors and he voted against it.
    How many 9-11 Firefighters were in the country illegally? If the legislation was crafted only to cover firefighters exclusively then the Dems shouldn't have had a problem with that possible amendment.

The blame rests on both sides of the aisle.. they're all a bunch of self-serving DB's..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    How many 9-11 Firefighters were in the country illegally? If the legislation was crafted only to cover firefighters exclusively then the Dems shouldn't have had a problem with that possible amendment.
    You should ask the GOP opposition that question. Apparently they believe some of those involved in the rescue effort were here illegally. Hence the desire to add that ammendment.

The blame rests on both sides of the aisle.. they're all a bunch of self-serving DB's..
    In what way? I see this as the GOP being contrarian.

Forum Member

Further research shows a little bit different story. The Democrats clearly had the 50 +1 that they needed to pass the bill.
    Wasn't this a House vote?
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    Wasn't this a House vote?
    The House leadership requested it be a 2/3's vote in order to prevent ammendments from being added.

Forum Member

I bet it wouldn't happen if George was still around....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

This bill wasn't just for firefighters, but for anyone who might have had any exposure to the aftermath of 9/11. That is where the illegals came in. And the largest GOP issue with the bill was the source of the funding (more borrowed money, like every bill passed in the last year). The real solution would be to use all of the undedicated stimulus money that is sitting around, however the Democrats won't touch that. They are saving that money for a bunch of last minute spending this fall before the election, to attempt to win votes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I bet it wouldn't happen if George was still around....
    Oh hell NO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    This bill wasn't just for firefighters, but for anyone who might have had any exposure to the aftermath of 9/11. That is where the illegals came in. And the largest GOP issue with the bill was the source of the funding (more borrowed money, like every bill passed in the last year). The real solution would be to use all of the undedicated stimulus money that is sitting around, however the Democrats won't touch that. They are saving that money for a bunch of last minute spending this fall before the election, to attempt to win votes.
    You're pretty funny if you're expecting anyone to believe the GOP is concerned about deficits. The national debt doubled when they controlled both Houses of congress and the White House.

Forum Member

You're pretty funny if you're expecting anyone to believe the GOP is concerned about deficits. The national debt doubled when they controlled both Houses of congress and the White House.
    And it has doubled again in the last 18 months with the Democrats controlling everything. Your point?

Forum Member

Anyone read the entire bill?

I haven't, but I do know so much irrelevant crap is put on each bill that media summaries are meaningless.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Listen, FFFred may be right. I too have not read the bill, but strongly suspect that this could also have been a Democratic tactic to create this kind of dissention.

With the Afghanistand troop support bill that was passed a couple weeks ago, the Liberals at the last minute attached a union collective barganing rider to it to guarantee its passage. They knew the pro-union bill would never pass by itself and attached it to a bill that no senator or congressman could be labeld as not wanting to support our troops.

As I have not read this 911 support bill, it could easily be used as a wolf in sheeps clothing for a seperate agenda. Like illegal immigration or some other campagin issue. Like I say, this could be a tactic to play on the nations emotions again by using our brothers deaths and sickness as a cover. Sound like something they and people like ACORN would do.

Now if the bill is standing on this issue alone, I feel confident that the GOP patriots would generally support it.

Forum Member

I have also posted a "Hey Democrats" thread and a "Hey Congress" thread. Just get the fvcking thing done.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Listen, FFFred may be right. I too have not read the bill, but strongly suspect that this could also have been a Democratic tactic to create this kind of dissention.

With the Afghanistand troop support bill that was passed a couple weeks ago, the Liberals at the last minute attached a union collective barganing rider to it to guarantee its passage. They knew the pro-union bill would never pass by itself and attached it to a bill that no senator or congressman could be labeld as not wanting to support our troops.

As I have not read this 911 support bill, it could easily be used as a wolf in sheeps clothing for a seperate agenda. Like illegal immigration or some other campagin issue. Like I say, this could be a tactic to play on the nations emotions again by using our brothers deaths and sickness as a cover. Sound like something they and people like ACORN would do.

Now if the bill is standing on this issue alone, I feel confident that the GOP patriots would generally support it.
    They have used the same tactic to tie up an FAA funding bill for going on four years now. The hold up now is a union labor amendment solely for FedEx. While our elected officials argue about whether the employees of an individual business have a right to unionize, the nation's aviaiton infrastructure has been put in a long term holding pattern.

Forum Member

Further research shows a little bit different story. The Democrats clearly had the 50 +1 that they needed to pass the bill.
    Weiner, King Spar in House Over 9/11 Responder Bill
    Rep. Weiner Shows Washington Brooklyn Fire
    Updated 5:32 PM EDT, Fri, Jul 30, 2010

The House's rejection of bill that would have provided up to $7.4 billion in aid to people sickened by World Trade Center dust has opened a sharp rift between two New York congressmen, Republican Peter King and Democrat Anthony Weiner.

The verbal jousting came on the House floor Thursday night as the vote neared. The results fell largely along party lines, with 12 Republicans joining Democrats supporting the measure, but it failed to win the needed two-thirds majority.

Arms flailing and his voice rising, Weiner took sharp aim at King, a Long Island Republican.

"The gentleman is providing cover for his colleagues rather than doing the right thing," bellowed Weiner, who represents parts of Brooklyn and Queens. "Republicans wrapping their arms around Republicans rather than doing the right thing on behalf of heroes. It's a shame, a shame."

King, a key backer of the bill, had moments earlier accused Democrats of staging a "charade."

The rift developed over how the bill was put before the chamber.

Democratic leaders opted to consider it under a procedure that requires a two-thirds vote for approval rather than a simple majority. The move blocked potential GOP amendments to the measure.

King said Democrats were "petrified" about casting votes on amendments, possibly including one that would ban aid from going to illegal immigrants sickened by trade center dust. King said the bill was more important than "a campaign talking point."

King's comments rankled New York Democrats, who in turn blamed Republicans for not supporting the bill and accusing King of not doing enough to win more GOP support for the measure.

I don't think 50+1 votes get you anything in the House. Further research shows 218 does...
    Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread Information