Administrator

Default Wilmington, NC Firefighter Position Opening

Forum Member

Default Wilmington. NC

I definitely want to apply for this department but I don't know a lot about the area. How is the cost of living and is it a good area to raise a family or are there at least affordable, nice areas within a reasonable vicinity? Wilmington is about a 7 hour drive for me so I am also wondering if they are going to do the physical and written test on the same day? Also, do you know what the physical test consists of? Thanks!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gagirl View Post
    I definitely want to apply for this department but I don't know a lot about the area. How is the cost of living and is it a good area to raise a family or are there at least affordable, nice areas within a reasonable vicinity? Wilmington is about a 7 hour drive for me so I am also wondering if they are going to do the physical and written test on the same day? Also, do you know what the physical test consists of? Thanks!!

You might check with the City's HR or FD on the testing stuff.

http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/fire_dep...cruitment.aspx

Do a goggle on the city to find out costs, etc.

I did it for you to: --->>> http://wilmington.insiderinfo.us/
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 08-03-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thank You!

Forum Member

Hey gagirl, i am a firefighter with Wilmington and i would be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. Wilmington is a great place to live. It's a mid sized city and like most cities it has it's good areas and bad areas. Cost of living is a little high being that we are right next to the beaches. Most of our FF's live outside of the city limits because of housing prices, and to avoid the traffic. As far as the physical agility test goes im not 100% sure of it's makeup sense it is being modified this year. But i have heard it will be like our yearly physical agility which is simply a basic FF agility course, ie raise a ladder, dummy drag, climbing 2 flights of stairs w/ a highrise pack, pulling a hose roll up 2 stories w/ a rope, descending 2 flights of stairs w/ the highrise pack, and pulling a charged hose line(not sure if 2 1/2 or 1 3/4). I will try to find out more. Good luck if you do decide to have a go at it. It really isn't bad if your in decent shape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi guys,

I live in Boston and applied online. The website says you need to provide the city/FD with copies of birth certificate, license etc. I couldn't do this online so is it safe to assume you turn them in when you take the written test?

Thanks.

-Brian

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help! The physical test doesn't sound too bad at all. I only have until Friday to decide if I will apply. I am a bit up in the air just because of the logistics with trying to get there for testing. We've always dreamed of being near the beach and of course I dream of being a firefighter so I'm really excited about the opportunity. I really hope I can work out getting there. I have a message in with your H.R. to try to find out when the testing is. Do you happen to know the answer to that question? Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Oops!

You can disregard my previous question. I just saw that the dates for testing were added to the application. Thanks for your help, WFDFF.

Forum Member

I just spoke with human resources and they said that the birth certificate and and drivers license is due with the application. If you have already submitted your application you may want to resubmit it with that info just to make sure there is no mix up. Try calling the HR department at 910-341-7840, they can give you the final word on how to get the info to them. Hope this helps

Forum Member

Glad i could help gagirl, if anyone has any more questions just ask or you can PM me. I'll help any way i can.

Forum Member

WFDFF-

I put my app. in this week. have a couple questions, whats the written like? also whats the recruit class like? and what kinda of shifts you guys run? thanks for the info.

Forum Member

FFEMTlieut804, The written test is pretty straight forward, no fire related questions as best i can remember, just simple math, reading comprehension, some mechanical questions, ie if gear A turns one way gear B will turn which way.

The recruit class is Monday through Friday 7:30 usually to 5:00. Each day starts with PT which is group exercises with push ups, sit ups, lunges, stretches, jumping jacks etc. followed by jogging which the distance gets longer as the recruit class gets used to it, but is usually a 1 to 1 1/2 miles to start with. After that you shower up and meet in the classroom for the days class. The last class started with going through EMT-Basic class first, followed by your firefighter I and II, then hazmat operations, and rescue tech. It will take about 18 weeks and its actually a lot of fun. You will have lead training captains and a training chief in charge of the class, but a lot of the teaching is done by captains from suppression. Classes are usually at headquarters but some classes will be at other stations. Hazmat is taught at the hazmat station #7, and rescue tech is taught at #8.

Our shifts are: 24 hrs on, 24 hrs off, 24 hrs on, 24 hrs off, 24 hrs On, Off for four days. Work starts at 7:30 am and runs til 7:30am the following day with an average of 52 hours a week. And we have three shifts A,B, and C.

Forum Member

id imagine you would still have to go through the academy even if you are already a certified FF2 and paramedic? i guess it would be a good refresher. also i was checking out the depts website and couldnt find any info on amount of calls per year unless i just missed it.

Forum Member

Default Ques for WFDFF

WFDFF, Do you know how many people they are planning on hiring?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Hi guys,

I live in Boston and applied online. The website says you need to provide the city/FD with copies of birth certificate, license etc. I couldn't do this online so is it safe to assume you turn them in when you take the written test?

Thanks.

-Brian

Brian, you might want to call them and ask them this question. I am sure that they will give you a correct answer to this.

I would get certified copies and mail them to them with a cover letter explaining that you have e mail the application and are sending the other require material by snail mail.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

WFDFF what is Wilmington's staffing like? I know the starting pay is low, is there a lot of opportunity for overtime? What is the relationship between the city and the union like? Who provides EMS in Wilmington? Thanks!

Forum Member

quayleman, The city does hire fully certified firefighters from time to time and they do not go through the academy, but if the job isn't posted for fully certified FF's im not sure where you would fall. The fully certified FF's are usually hired in between the academys. Wilmington does not run ALS right now so you paramedic unfortunately wouldn't be utilized. As far as call volume we have averaged over 10,000 a year, many of those being ems runs.

gagirl, i have heard that nine are being hired.

RFD185, The dept. tries to run every unit, engines, towers, and rescues with 4 people. Overtime has taken a big hit and it is hard to pick up these days. The relationship between our union and the city is as good as you can expect in rough economic times. City wants to save money, union wants to save jobs, feelings sometimes get hurt. Our union has no bargaining powers in nc, so the main reason they have to listen to us is that we can make a lot of noise locally. Our EMS provider is New Hanover regional medical center.

Forum Member

WFDFF thanks for the info much appreciated. ill just put in a call to HR tommrow and see if its even worth putting the application in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks WFDFF, lots of good info. I didn't realize there was a seperate process for certified guys. It's tough everywhere, but it seems that the locals that are willing to work with the cities and make concessions are the ones keeping their heads above water.

Forum Member

Im glad i can help a little, just remember, Human resources always has the final say so and the knows the rules and requirements better than me, who just rides the back of the truck. So when in doubt give HR a call. And just because you have your certs. going back through the academy isn't that bad, you still get paid and your eased into the job after which should seem like a refresher.

MembersZone Subscriber

WFDFF I spoke to HR today and got some basic info. Can you PM me an email address I can send some other questions to? Thanks!

Forum Member

WFDFF-

Just wondering if you found out what the physical test is going to be like? i know you stated before but just wanted to make sure. also is it in gear or gym clothes ie shorts/ t-shirt. Also is 9 FF a firm number on hiring or is that subject to change? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone gotten their test times yet, the written dates start next Tuesday? I have only received info on the physical agility test, just want to make sure I haven't missed anything in the mail.

Forum Member

I'm schedule for the test on Sept 27th. According to WFD website, they are pushing dates back because of the large amount of applications received, that it will be harder to schedule PT tests than originally planned.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I got my letter and also test on the 27th. Guess I was just getting nervous because of the schedule they had posted was getting close and no info, one way or the other. Good luck and see you there.

Thread Information